From UB's Mouth...

moytoy12

I was on hold to ask the same question, when Tim asked it first...

Tim's statement was somewhere along the lines of...

-Brad it was brought to my attention on Bob & Frank's show that SLU's recruiting budget is lower then SEMO's and Mizzou's

Brad answered somewhere along the lines of...

-That's the first time I've heard anything of the sort. My coaches and I have all the resources we need to get the job done. If there's a problem with recruiting it's because we're not getting the job done.

As moytoy put it, straight from Brad's mouth. Goes back to my post that there's no reason to blame the administration, there's more credibility if you blame the coach.

CAG

Precisely. Anyone who expected Brad, or any other coach trying to respond on air to such a question, to say anything different is wishing up a tree. He would be absolutely insane to criticize his budget on air. Biondi would hear about that, and, in 5 minutes, he'd have Brad in his office--and it wouldn't be pretty. One thing we have to acknowledge Brad on is that he stands up and faces the music. Spoonhour, and a lot of other coaches, would never take the risk with the fans the way that Brad did tonight.

What Brad was really saying was - the Men's BB budget is adequate or at least what I was promised when I signed on. It was acceptable then and I have enough money to accomplish what I need to do within my overall budget. As I said before, he can move money around if necessary.

Geez, i thought UB was gonna call out his bosses. My questions were sarcastic as evidenced by my qualification on the initial post.

However, UB could be somewhat diplomatic and appeal to the masses. A little, "we've got to work within the constraints we have, but a little more money never hurts."

There are ways to ask for more money without asking for more money.

It covered almost every issue that has been discussed on this site--the ones that refer to basketball and not Brad's status, etc.

Brad talked about how happy he was with the defensive effort against Pacific in the second half, Ole Miss in the second half, Missouri State for the entire game, NC in the first half and how disappointed he was to see the breakdowns in the last two games. He said the by looking at tape they could see some breakdowns in fundamentals and that they worked hard on them at practice today.

He talked about Ian and the fact that Ian seems to get frustrated when he does not get the ball when he feels he has worked hard to get open--that is my paraphrase--Brad was less direct but said basically that. Brad said he would like to see Ian touch the ball on every possesion but the packed in zones--the result of our bad outside shooting--make it difficult.

He praised Tommie for his play and his unselfishness.

He is obviously concerned about kevin physically and emotionally. he said Kevin is such a competitor that when he does not shoot well he thinks he is personally failing the team. he has hope that Kevin will be back shooting well soon.

He talked about Dustin and said he is shooting well and could earn some minutes soon and the only issue at this point is his defense. there were other things but I thought he was as direct and non defensive as he could have possibly been under the circumstances. No bull, no excuses--just candid analysis. it sounds like Rhode Island is playing very well and just beat Dayton so they will be coming in sky high. Go Bills!

For those that know more about basketball fundamentals, does UB's defense require DM to have deft lateral movement? UB stated that this was DM's main weakness on D, and i'm wondering if it's a non-issue or not that big of an issue.

Also, it sounds like RI can shoot the 3, so i hope UB can adjust out of the pack defense if need be.

How do any of you know what Mizzou's Men's Basketball Recruiting budget was compared to SLU's or any other school's recruiting budget compared to SLU for that matter.

The website referenced on billikens.com shows the men's basketball budget and then shows the "Men's Sports Recruiting Budget". Men's sports seems to imply all sports men play at the University.

Mizzou's "men's sports" recruting budget was $340k vs ours of $73k. I would sure hope so considering they have a men's football team and probably many other "men's sports" teams. Now I'm sure MU spent more but apparently we don't know exactly how much more they spent on "recruiting".

As for the "budget"...see my post response to moytoy (From UB's Mouth) where I would argue students and alumni of Virginia should revolt considering they spent $9mil on a basketball budget and currently have a worse rpi then us.

CAG

All defense requires much more lateral movement than front and back.

And David's right ... it isn't important for Danny, so DM should be ok.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

marlow said,

" One thing we have to acknowledge Brad on is that he stands up and faces the music. Spoonhour, and a lot of other coaches, would never take the risk with the fans the way that Brad did tonight."

i bet we never saw spoonhour at more than 3 billiken club meetings in his entire time at slu.

that the entire budget according to the links that we reviewed is inadequate. not just recruiting. it is all interrelated.

if we had a better marketing effort more people would show up at games, recruits would see those marketing efforts as well, boosters would likely be more inclined to donate, etc.

if we had a better sports information dept that did more than compile stats and publish a media guide, we might get more favorable treatment by the media. the less that the casual fans hear negative by the media the more they are inclined to come out. the less the prospective recruits read negative and more positive the more likely they are to consider slu.

we dont even need to discuss facilities, however that issue will soon (two years) be addressed.

salaries? again, look at the youth we have in the athletic dept? i am sure all are very agressive and energetic, but does that trump experience? and experience costs.

i would think it would depend on the player he is guarding. for example if we were playing mi$$ouri, i would have no problem with maguire guarding matt lawrence. they are basically the same player (in style) we cant speak of ability since we dont know what we have in maguire.

You are right. I talked to him about it several times and he hated going to those meetings. In fact, Spoon did not much care for chit chat with large groups. He was ok in a "speech" mode where he was telling jokes but he really did not like to mingle and talk to the fans unless it was a small group of his buddies. I am not criticizing him, I am just commenting on his personality.