Anyone want to stick with 12 or less wins

slufanskip

There are no observations from the couch in Maryland because there is no real need. I have nothing any more interesting than others have offered. So why bother and field the usual criticism from the usual sources?

I agree with torch's statement on the fragile psyche of this team. Maybe psyche is the wrong word. But adversity and how we handle it reveals us to all. I see certain guys moaning and complaining all the time. I know certain guys care all about their personal stat sheet. I think the questions will be answered when we face that downward trend ---- IF we face such a trend at all.

And I have to admit I am amazed to open +17 against Louisville. Now that's an amazing point swing even for a 4 and 0 team. And when at one point we were top ten in RPI too? Again, proving you can prove all you want with statistics.

Jolly is a bad basketball player, objectively. It's not a personal attack to state something that can be proven statistically or by any rational observer of the sport of basketball. His deficiencies can be listed as: All. I'm not the first person to point this out.

If he's a great guy, I don't care. It doesn't matter. I know lots of great guys who would be objectively terrible D-I basketball players.

It's convenient for us to say "They're just kids!" when we don't like the criticism, but treat them like grown men when we're in the mood to criticize.

(Also, what's the line between 'kids' and 'not kids'? We have players ranging from 18 to 23 in age. The legal drinking age is in the middle. They're all old enough to serve in the military. What's the line, seriously?)

The anti-Jolly talk in the other thread was all about basketball. That's in stark contrast to what went on here last year, when several players (including one veteran of multiple NCAA appearances) were slammed in personal terms. I don't know whether all the personal stuff was warranted or not, but what makes it funny is that some of the people wringing their hands over Jolly being "attacked" now were the ones who not only spent all of last year attacking our own players, but continued attacking them even after they had announced they were transferring elsewhere.

What support do you have to call this team "fragile emotionally"?

Watch the team in games.

Many players "check out" during timeouts if they aren't in the game. Jolly the other night got two fouls, slapped the scorekeepers table and walked to the locker room with several minutes left in the half. When Roby got pulled last night for throwing an errant pass he had a fit on the bench. Yarbrough did the same. I can go on and on. Zero reaction from the Head coach when this stuff is done either. Good teams don't do that nonsense, good players don't do it and good coaches don't allow it.

Without knowing the players personally or thw locker room dynamic, I think measuring a coach by his players sideline body language is silly. I sit with a good view of the bench and perceive Roby and Yarborough "fits" as part of being highly competitive young persons who are disappointed in their performance (or lack thereof). I didn't have a problem with it and it is no different than a shortstop who makes an error and throws his glove in disgust after the inning is over or a football player who throws his helmet off on the sideline after a fumble. These things happen in every sport and, frankly, I would be more concerned if they just took their seat on the bench without showing any emotion. Jolly's outburst was over the top and I hope someone talked to him after the game.

Do you expect Crews to stop coaching in game to sit and scold the players about their "fits"? If he did that then we would have a real problem. If anything, those types of discussions would happen behind closed doors and we would never know about it. Again, it is silly to judge body language without knowing the relationship dynamics.

I want to confirm Torch's statement that Jolly slapped a counter (the scorekeeper's?) when he was pulled out of the St. Francis game after a foul and walked out to the rear. I did see that. I did not see Roby or Yarborough pulling trantrums on the bench but again I was not watching the bench either. I really do not know anything about coaching but do know that players get very emotionally tied into the game play and have to blow steam somehow. I have no idea what the best way to handle these events may be.

Watch the team in games.

Many players "check out" during timeouts if they aren't in the game. Jolly the other night got two fouls, slapped the scorekeepers table and walked to the locker room with several minutes left in the half. When Roby got pulled last night for throwing an errant pass he had a fit on the bench. Yarbrough did the same. I can go on and on. Zero reaction from the Head coach when this stuff is done either. Good teams don't do that nonsense, good players don't do it and good coaches don't allow it.

Lol. Are you kidding? That kind of stuff happens all the time. It doesn't mean the players are "fragile" emotionally. You're also making ridiculous generalizations when you say good players don't do it and good coaches don't allow it. Really? You must not watch a lot of basketball. Certain coaches may not allow that type of stuff, but they're the exception, not the rule.

Lol. Are you kidding? That kind of stuff happens all the time. It doesn't mean the players are "fragile" emotionally. You're also making ridiculous generalizations when you say good players don't do it and good coaches don't allow it. Really? You must not watch a lot of basketball. Certain coaches may not allow that type of stuff, but they're the exception, not the rule.

absolutely agree, FDL. They are absolutely ridiculous assertions about the team.

Anyone want to stick with predictions of 15+ wins?

Do you (or anyone) want to continue to assail Torch's accusation of fragility? Where the team goes from here will suggest the answer, but I don't like the trend — particularly not when Yacoubou has shown a tendency to disappear against better competition.

Do you (or anyone) want to continue to assail Torch's accusation of fragility? Where the team goes from here will suggest the answer, but I don't like the trend particularly not when Yacoubou has shown a tendency to disappear against better competition.

Is it fragility or indifference? These players aren't responding to this coach and that's been happening for some time.

Is it fragility or indifference? These players aren't responding to this coach and that's been happening for some time.

Not one player on this team is good enough to scrap the game plan. Not one of them can play in the League (Association). Like I said in the GDT, it appears SLU needs a new coach and new players. Maybe it's one or the other, but I think both. I question the competitive spirit of these players if they can brush off coaching and still lose by 14 at home to Morehead State and get outrebounded by 9. Coach Majerus would have told them they have no testicles.

Do you (or anyone) want to continue to assail Torch's accusation of fragility? Where the team goes from here will suggest the answer, but I don't like the trend — particularly not when Yacoubou has shown a tendency to disappear against better competition.

Tonight Morehead was definitely the better team and Yacoubou was very much on the (+) column for SLU. He did not disappear and he was not fully neutralized either.

Tonight Morehead was definitely the better team and Yacoubou was very much on the (+) column for SLU. He did not disappear and he was not fully neutralized either.

By "better competition," I don't necessarily mean "better than the Bills" but "Top 40." Let's hope Ash can still put up good production against Kansas State, VCU, Dayton, Richmond, George Washington, etc.

Do you (or anyone) want to continue to assail Torch's accusation of fragility? Where the team goes from here will suggest the answer, but I don't like the trend particularly not when Yacoubou has shown a tendency to disappear against better competition.

Yacoubou is not going to win us games on his own. He is also not going to show up every night

Maybe the question now should be anyone predicting 15 or more wins want to change their prediction. I haven't had a chance to watch last nights game yet, and am not sure I really want to punish myself, but I will and it'll probably have me thinking I was way high

Maybe the question now should be anyone predicting 15 or more wins want to change their prediction. I haven't had a chance to watch last nights game yet, and am not sure I really want to punish myself, but I will and it'll probably have me thinking I was way high

Go to the dentist instead. It's more fun.