Obi Ikeakor, the X-Factor

When's the last time we had a 6'8 240 lb forward with a legitimate post up game and a jump shot? I'm thinking never.

If that truly is an accurate description of his game then health is the only thing preventing Obi from playing major minutes this season. He presents a matchup problem, while the other candidates for the position, Newborne and JJ, do not. Battling with a big strong guy in the low post and then challenging him 17 feet away from the basket isn't something most college bigs have to do on a regular basis. That's what makes a guy like Curtis Withers so hard to defend.

Newborne will probably get the starting nod because 1) he's a solid defender and 2) he's a senior. But I fully expect Obi to give us an offensive spark off the bench and see his minutes gradually increase throughout the year. By the time he's run the gamut of Gonzaga, SIU, North Carolina and Iowa there won't be anything in the A-10 Obi hasn't already seen before.

P.S. Isn't it weird that we've gotten two kids who played their high school ball way down in Texas but we've yet to sign anyone from Wisconsin? Calling Adam Koch . . .

I just hope he's healthy enough to play. He's gonna be a little rusty 3 star so am not expecting too much impact right off the bat. Hopefully if he's cleared to play, we'll see the cobwebs come off during the season and towards the end of the year see him realize the potential everyone believed he had when he was a junior in HS. That said we're lucky to land him, as pre injury he probably would never have given us a second thought. Could Obi be our Mike Smith, the unknown unheralded PF who plays for BC?

>When's the last time we had a 6'8 240 lb forward with a

>legitimate post up game and a jump shot? I'm thinking

>never.

Not to take away from anything you've said about Obi Ikeakor, I'd like to submit Matt Baniak's name as such a forward. If you won't accept him, then Anthony Bonner.

Well, I edited my post to factor Jumpin Jamal out of the equation (but it was too late for you, as you'd already read the unedited post), since I remembered that he didn't shoot much from outside. However, even though you don't recall, Matt Baniak surprised me as a senior by knocking down some threes late in the season. I believe he hit about three from beyond the arc, on his way to 24 points, in a win over Charlotte at Savvis. He did what we expect Chris Braun to do. I'll grant you, though, that MB didn't have many back-to-the-basket moves.

Got to agree as I don't think OI's gonna be up to speed until late in the season. If JJ can be an average D1 PF from day one that will be a pleasant surprise. By average he get 9ppg, 6-8 rpg, and plays solid D inside. Is that expecting too much?

... I think it is 72. Nine points a game and six to eight rebounds a game? Based on what? This kid finally finding himself. I would love nothng better than to eat those words and be surprisingly shocked at JJ's production but at this point, I believe that if our season hinges on JJ, that's not good. Let's also remember that technially, he's a senior. My belief is that if he's not doing it in mid-December, he'll be a washout as far as his career is concerned and relegated to bench duty from here on out.

As for a post up guy who also can kncok it down from 17 feet ... we've never had one. What thicks described of Baniak was one game and adds to his legacy of a tease of a ballplayer. Bonner was never an outside shooter. Braun never came inside. Tatum was not functional outside the lane. Jamal Johnson was an inside-only act. About the best guy with his back to the basket and a decent outside shot might have been Donnie Dobbs.

I will say this, if Sean Finn and Keith Waleskowski were all A-10 performers, being a big man doesn't require as much in the A-10 as it did in CUSA.

Taj Mahal '79, a guy can dream can't he? Hey he did it against Oakland and they made the dance. As I recall they had some pretty athletic bigs. The talent's there he's just got to use it. What if between VN and JJ we get this kind of production? One problem with VN, I think he shot about 6 ft's last year that tells me he ain't doing much when he does have the ball in his hands. An inside player garnering only 6 ft's for an entire season is pretty damn weak.

HEY ... LIKE I SAID, IF THE KID MAKES ME EAT CROW, SO BE IT .... AT LEAST IT'LL BE SOME OF THE SWEETEST CROW I'VE EVER DOWNED .... I'M HOPING TO FEAST ON IT.

AS FOR THE NUMBERS BEING A COMPOSITE OF THE COMBO .... I DON'T KNOW. I GUESS I'D TAKE IT BECAUSE IT WOULD BE A CONSTANT AND WE STILL HAVE TO REPLACE IZIK'S CONTRIBUTION FROM LAST YEAR. BUT WHEN YOU START TO TALK ABOUT REPLACEMENT, YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT REPLACING NUMBERS THAT RESULTED IN A MEDIOCRE RECORD. IT WOULD SEEM TO ME THAT WE NEED NOT TO REPLACE BUT TO ADD TO IT AND IMPROVE.

no disrespect, but if we have to bet on "surprises" the kid with the high level high school and aau history only to be derailed by the knee injury seems a safer bet than the guy that "hasnt gotten it" after 3 years at slu.

personlly, i wouldnt put money on either bet and imo, we have a huge whole that will be scotch taped all season.

because in the college game, 6'8" and his 245 lbs was big. in the nba, that was a small forward back then and now it is approaching a shooting guard. the nba is just bigger and bonner only survived as long as he did because of his heart and desire. he was a tweener.

I was under the impression that the redshirt declarationhad tooccur earlier ... with a cut off date of about two or three games into the year .... longer if there was a medical mishap but that still needed a special declaration and a no-guarantee submission or plea to the NCAA eligibility committee? I do not thinkyou can wait until January and make the call ..... if you were a program that had a couple of transfers coming eligible as second semester, it might behoove some programs of lesser credibility to use those situations to a certain advantage.

i think unless you are trying to get a declared medical redshirt after already playing games, i believe that as long as the player hasnt played a second in a game, you can redshirt at any time.

... I think there has to be two different scenarios here ... Frericks ttok to about what, the sixth or seventh game when it was finally decided he was done. At that point I believe the discussion came into play about applying for another season with a medical redshirt. As I recall, Tom wasn't real interested in doing it so it became a moot point.

But based onwhat you are saying, let's say some poor kid sits on the bench all year after playing in the home opener blowout. I do nto belive that come March 10, because the kid never got in again, that you can declare it a redshirt year. There has to be a time frame by which that call is made and the kid moves off the bench.

Another thing, can a redshirt kid go on all the trips with the team as the year progresses? Can a trnasfer like Reggie do the same? Or are they limited to just being "on" the bench at home games?