Open Letter to Students

Unfortunately. Already has been done. It was a great idea though, and we will definitely do it again next year.

You probably all do not know this, but Coach Majerus went to the Greek dorm and spoke to a group of 100+ greeks, Q & A style. It was an amazing night, alot of fun. He did the same thing in the freshman dorm. We bought pizza for everyone too. We noticed immediate results at the next game, but it just needed to continue on after that. Great idea though Box! Love it. Putting it on my list.

well in my business, taking a prospective client to lunch one time or having one good time at a business after hours happy hour with one client by no means seals the deal or clinches that i have now gained an actual customer. i have to continue to perform. smoozing, discussing business, presenting ideas, searching for continued input for many interactions before they finally see the light and want to do business with my bank. even then some never come over. i would be naive to think i can win them all or that i have no competitors can also do a good job to earn that right to do business with that potential customer.

i applaud your effort. sounds like you did a lot of good things, but it isnt enough. and that effort has to continue and more. they the greeks have to believe they are needed. they have to see why their being there is important to them. without knowing more about each and every frat and sorority i cant answer that question. maybe you need to have meeting with them separately to find out what makes their individual groups work. what is important to them and how can being key represenatives at the billikens game help them beyond just fun. it sounds like fun doesnt put them over the line so you have to have an additional angle.

i for one appreciate your appearance and feedback here at billikens.com. it is very reassuring imo.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What made 17000 + come to games under Spoon? Winning games. But we are winning games and we're still falling far short of the enthusiasm of the 93-98 years. I've already mentioned Spoon being a visible and audible guy around ST. Louis. RM's not going to do that. But he really shouldn't have to. In many ways RM's a more notable guy than Spoon ever was, albeit on a national scale. Was is that Spoon's teams had more local kids? I can't imagine that was that big a factor in attendance. My guess is it was that we were playing a lot more national type programs back in the CUSA that really helped. But still I can't fathom that w/ an undergrad population of 7,000 we can't fill in the student section w/ a bunch of rowdies who like to holler and act a little crazy for two hours once or twice a week. Especially when it's within walking distance of their dorms/apartments.

I was young at the time but I still remember 3 to 5 thousand at the arena during the spoon days.

Burwell may be reaching a bit here. He saw a very boring game in the middle of the of the week vs a not so good Richmond team. Granted the crowd should of been bigger and more raucous, but to show up once a year and write that article was him just tryIng to stir the pot. I guarantee If he was at the George Washington, washington, or dayton games the article would of never been written

What made 17000 + come to games under Spoon? Winning games. But we are winning games and we're still falling far short of the enthusiasm of the 93-98 years. I've already mentioned Spoon being a visible and audible guy around ST. Louis. RM's not going to do that. But he really shouldn't have to. In many ways RM's a more notable guy than Spoon ever was, albeit on a national scale. Was is that Spoon's teams had more local kids? I can't imagine that was that big a factor in attendance. My guess is it was that we were playing a lot more national type programs back in the CUSA that really helped. But still I can't fathom that w/ an undergrad population of 7,000 we can't fill in the student section w/ a bunch of rowdies who like to holler and act a little crazy for two hours once or twice a week. Especially when it's within walking distance of their dorms/apartments.

first let's not forget no rams back in the best spoonball days. i am convinced there is a limited amount of sports entertainment dollars that will get spent. and i now assume that back then some of those dollars that went to the billikens later got switched to the rams.

second, spoon was a million times better ambassador for the program. and it paid off with big time love from the media. which in turn was pumped out to the public at a far higher rate than any love we get now. he had his own show and appeared in public constantly. now when we get rickma on the radio normally doesnt take long for him to complain about travel, bad schedule, etc.

third, no doubt the casual fan of st louis was more interested in seeing louisville, marquette, depaul, cincy, memphis etc than the a-10.

4th, as i stated in another post yesterday, while i dont endorse taking local players just to take them, spoon consistently had local players and normally they were the team stars as well.

last, no doubt with the tigers having an even better season, the casual fans are picking mustard and black over billiken blue.

i think you add the whole package, it is no wonder the people are slow to come back.

first let's not forget no rams back in the best spoonball days. i am convinced there is a limited amount of sports entertainment dollars that will get spent. and i now assume that back then some of those dollars that went to the billikens later got switched to the rams.

second, spoon was a million times better ambassador for the program. and it paid off with big time love from the media. which in turn was pumped out to the public at a far higher rate than any love we get now. he had his own show and appeared in public constantly. now when we get rickma on the radio normally doesnt take long for him to complain about travel, bad schedule, etc.

third, no doubt the casual fan of st louis was more interested in seeing louisville, marquette, depaul, cincy, memphis etc than the a-10.

4th, as i stated in another post yesterday, while i dont endorse taking local players just to take them, spoon consistently had local players and normally they were the team stars as well.

last, no doubt with the tigers having an even better season, the casual fans are picking mustard and black over billiken blue.

i think you add the whole package, it is no wonder the people are slow to come back.

-i agree with most of your points, entertainment dollars are limited and the economy is not the best for some at this time furhter limiting, i think mizzou's recent football success generates momentum for their bball program and their bball is having a tremendous if not unexpected season so comparing SLU trending up to mizzou up and trending higher is tough for us, go look in any store...how much SLU stuff do you see at kohls, jcpenney, macys, dicks, etc versus mizzou stuff all over (at least on this side of the river), cusa had better names

-Rick seems to make the players more available for the media than i recall spoon doing, spoon had a different personality than Rick has and that is not going to change, i guess on any scale (no pun intended) Rick could be more visible with the media (not talking about when his shirt rides up during games) but i wonder would we get more coverage?

-when is the last time you listened to a Rick interview?

I thought that the free tickets was supposed to encourage an increase in student attendance?

Our team is significantly better and attendance still sucks. It would be nice to get some good leadership to lead the crowd in chants and make it more of a real student section atmosphere.

I thought that the free tickets was supposed to encourage an increase in student attendance?

Our team is significantly better and attendance still sucks. It would be nice to get some good leadership to lead the crowd in chants and make it more of a real student section atmosphere.

This is laughable. You are a repeat sitting down in the student section offender. I at least try when nobody else is willing to step up. I'd like to actually pay attention to the game as well.

We are having a good year, but we haven't done anything yet, we are coming off of gang rape allegations that ruined our past season. We haven't beat any ranked teams, and we were ranked for all of a few days and then lost. On top of that Mizzou is tearing it up, and the Blues are back playing great hockey. You guys are all acting like we are world beaters and that anyone outside of the hardcore fans care that we went 2-0 on our road trip to philly.

Keep winning, win the A-10 Tournament, make the big dance, make it to the sweet 16. Then next year we will not have these problems.

Also the AD better be making sure we are in good position for the next conference re alignment, basketball only schools will get the boot from the BCS soon and SLU cant get left in the cold. We need to be with DePaul, Marquette, Xavier, Dayton ect

This is laughable. You are a repeat sitting down in the student section offender. I at least try when nobody else is willing to step up. I'd like to actually pay attention to the game as well.

Laughable? I think I can come up with a list of things you do that are "laughable" if you wanted me to.

Pick your fights wisely 05.

I sat down during maybe 2 timeouts because I ran 12 miles before the game sub 7 minute pace. I am always standing on the blue bleachers and vocal during the games.

Not to mention the fact that I have missed only 2 home games during med school I think is pretty good (especially when kids are complaining their undergrad hw is keeping them from going to games). Maybe if you would show better leadership than just swearing at all the students who do show up and telling them how they suck, things would be different.

Pick your fights wisely 05.

I sat down during maybe 2 timeouts because I ran 12 miles before the game sub 7 minute pace. I am always standing on the blue bleachers and vocal during the games.

Not to mention the fact that I have missed only 2 home games during med school I think is pretty good. Maybe if you would show better leadership than just swearing at all the students who do show up and telling them how they suck, things would be different.

You don't think I've tried? Have you stopped to think why I get angry over this? Maybe it's because I do stand out in the quad and hand out flyers and pimp the basketball games. Maybe it's because I have tried all of this stuff and you know what I get. Some ###### telling me to "settle down." FUOK THAT. That is why I get frustrated.

-05, just a word of advice, take it or leave it, but don't piss off the people you are trying to get in the student section with you

-they may not want to stand all the time or shout all the time or go crazy all the time or where SLU stuff all the time, but they are there, crawl before they run

-i appreciate your enthusiasm, like that you are getting opposing fans to flip you the bird (can you imagine the love child of that stubby handed 'girl' and x's frease?), but just take a moment to be sure you aren't crapping where you sleep

We are having a good year, but we haven't done anything yet, we are coming off of gang rape allegations that ruined our past season. We haven't beat any ranked teams, and we were ranked for all of a few days and then lost. On top of that Mizzou is tearing it up, and the Blues are back playing great hockey. You guys are all acting like we are world beaters and that anyone outside of the hardcore fans care that we went 2-0 on our road trip to philly.

Keep winning, win the A-10 Tournament, make the big dance, make it to the sweet 16. Then next year we will not have these problems.

Also the AD better be making sure we are in good position for the next conference re alignment, basketball only schools will get the boot from the BCS soon and SLU cant get left in the cold. We need to be with DePaul, Marquette, Xavier, Dayton ect

+1

Backhand does that twice a week but at a 1/2 marathon length. Not a big deal.

Have you ever heard of the runtourage?

Yeah and you stand the whole game? Because if you don't want to sit for 30 seconds during a time out them you clearly arent going hard enough on your run.

Pick a distance I'll take you on and beat you by 20%.

Yes Yes Yes. Why do you think people show up for a dayton game even though dayton sucks? Everyone that applied to SLU applied to dayton..and xavier and marquette and creighton. Noone at SLU could care if we beat charlotte or st. bonaventure or lasalle. I have always been a college basketball fan and I had no idea St. Bonaventure was a school let alone one that plays D1 ball. When I came to SLU all anyone could talk about is the 20 point game and then all they could talk abut was the rape allegations. Expecting people to become huge fans overnight is unrealistic. Win on selection sunday on CBS. Win a game or two in the tournament. People will be pumped bout next year and higher attendance will be a given.

also lets not forget that nearly every college has this problem. Marquette was a mess in 90's when i was going to games. Even now marquette games kinda suck unless theyre playing someone notable.

Regarding what I highlighted in bold, some people from outside of the Midwest have the same lack of knowledge about SLU. I have a cousin from Cleveland who was in town for a bodybuilding contest a few years ago, and I drove him around. He asked me about basketball, and I told him about rooting for Saint Louis U., and his response was, "Are they even Div. 1?" I chose not to rip Cleveland State because he probably wouldn't have cared. He's an Ohio State guy

Additional factors that you haven't considered are that the Cardinals were mediocre during the time, and I think there was an impact from the strike/lockout; there was no football team in St. Louis (at first); and the economy was much more bullish (and gas wasn't nearly $4 per gallon!).