How important is winning to this administration?

SLUDrew

With a new arena being built this program has a real opportunity to soar if under the righ direction. Levick has already shown by firing Pizotti that mediocrity will not be tolerated. The hiring of Shimmy Gray was a great hire. She has a dynamic personality and has ALREADY recruited on a level that the women's prgram has never seen.

After the men's program endures yet another season of not making the tournament, will she have the courage to let Soderberg go? A lot on here, and I am sure quite a few in the administration, really like Brad. He is a great character guy. He has run a clean program. Many think as long as you are clean and graduate players then you are safe at SLU. Historically, that has been the case.

We have been led to believe that things are different now. Levick is supposedly no-nonsense and Biondi has been promising us a top 50 program for years. The next few years will present us with a real opportunity for the powers that be to create a real buzz about SLU basketball. Let's hope they take advantage and make it clear that the days of middling men's basektball are over.

Doesn't happen often ... but I agree with this post. I'm not saying let UB go ... but I am saying he has his work cut out for him. This loss is as much on the players (if not more) than it is the coach ... but they are his players and it is his lack of depth at the 4 that is largely responsible for all the offensive boards we have been giving up.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

it should be a BIG deal. with $80 million plus in facilties coming online soon...big portions coming from booster gifts etc.. there is an implied expectation of success on and off the court. recent lack of success in recruiting, suspect play the last couple of seasons, some players develop..others regress...

Brad is a wonderful person, but I am beginning to see cracks in his coaching, his staff is not very good.

it all goes back to expectations, how good do you want to be?

honestly folks, no NCAA tournament Brad is gone, because with that big hole in the ground at compton/40/laclede nothing less than the NCAA is a failure.

what scares me is that we have all of our eggs in the suggs/brandenburg/soderburg/etc. recruiting class, with no mention of who is coming next season. we NOW have 5 schollies and no commits, that is HUGE concern!

FIGHT ON!

We fire Soderberg after this season. We lose Vouyoukas. Lisch will stay but will Tommie? We need FIVE recruits for this year and next. If we keep Brad SLU is at least mediocre, an NIT team, Brad has proven he can coach us that far without any major injuries even with little talent. If we fire Brad we start from scratch. I don't know if another guy can turn this thing around in time for the new arena. A 10 or less win team in the year prior to stadium contruction or when it opens would be a death knell to the program. We are stuck with Brad. He will have 3 or 4 more years to make this a respectable program.

Take a look at what has happened a hundred miles or so west of SLU. If you bring in an established new coach with open scholarships to fill, he usually has a way of bringing some new talent with him and quickly making inroads with local recruits.

>

>Is a coach of that ilk going to be attracted to the SLU job?

>

>Hasn't that been part of our problem with past coaching

>searches.

exactly, Anderson would have stayed at UAB instead of come here. Hell Woolard wanted to hire his buddy Cremins, Cremins tells SLU hell no. He held out for the College of Charleston job. That is where SLU is on the NCAA totem pole.

How do you know that? This program will soon have some of the best facilities in the nation. If the university is willing to pay top dollar to support the coach and the program (which makes sense in light of the capital investment), there is no reason it couldn't attract a coach of Anderson's ilk.

I don't see SLU paying top dollar for an established coach, even with the new arena.

Biondi may say top 50 but he still has to prove top 50. The new arena is a step in the right direction but only a step. We budget less than the average towards athletics and have for a long long long time. As for the best in new facilities in the nation, you will have to "SHOW ME". I have my doubts. The computer pictures on the website are nice but that is a cartoon.

Do you want me to scan Father Biondi's article from 87-88 media guide saying how he will build a top 50 program at SLU. It has been 20 years. Besides the arena Biondi has done nothing to help this program. His cheapness ran off the most successful coach in our history. We had one of the best D-1 coaches in the nation in Romar and couldn't field a consistent winner because of lack of support. Biondi has done just enough to keep SLU out of falling to D-2. Despite the Arena I won't believe that he will sacrifice to make a top program until I see the numbers. We have the ability to have a budget that parellels many in the BCS conferences much less put us at the top of our league. Yet we still are playing with chump change, not even in the top half of our lowly league. Soderberg seems to be his perfect coach. A guy who won't complain and will field a semi competitive team even as Biondi tightens the purse strings.

david please mark this post and check back in 2 months and see if that hundred miles to the west program is still doing as good as you think. they'll beat colorado. who else?

Roy, I agree - I have said that MO will find the Big 12 a lot harder than the patsy schedule they have played. The only team they beat is AR at home and AR is not that great. They lost big Purdue on the road, and lost to IL at a neutral site. IL is already finding out that the Big 10 is going to no cake walk. I think both teams are going be surprised at the end of the season at their records.