UWM transfer UPDATE

philliken

Chicagohoops.com message board posted that Philip "Mickey" Perry (the recruit talked about on the board about a week and a half ago) states that SLU is the frontrunner. I assume these guys know what they are talking about. They are close to the hometown of Perry, and I'm sure have solid contacts with family/coaches.

Link below:

http://forums.chicagohoops.com/viewtopic.p...655468caf17e159

Here's hoping

What kind of role do you think Perry would have on the Bills next season? Obviously he couldn't play until 2nd semester b/c of transfer rules. But would he give us a boost off the bench during conference play? After that do you think he could be a potential starter? I don't know much about him. I would hope he is good enough and could progress during the time he has to sit and during the second semester next year so that he could step in as a starter for the 2008-2009 season when Polk graduates.

On an somewhat unrelated note is there anyway that the site administrators could set up a separate forum for posting info about recruits or recruiting news? Its tough to look back and find old posts on recruiting. Maybe something similar to the way gatewayredbirds.com is set up with a section for the Minor Leages and a section for Baseball Talk.

I think he could take over the DP role. I know there are a lot of DP fans out there, but if nothing else, the size (Perry 6'2") would help. Dwayne has trouble getting off good shots (see the UNC game). Plus, I tend to think that this backup at UW, might be better than a lot of mid-major starters.

Aside, maybe he can take the role kind of like Luke. With Luke, we're basically running a 3-guard offense. Luke is not a proto-typical forward, so whose to say that Perry may not excel in that role....I do know that the SLU offense could definitely use him. If he wants to come here, I'm sure we have a place for him.

(It's fate - Marquee Perry followed by Mickey Perry.)

Both Tommie and Kevin have far superior handles to Perry. His handle is about the same as Danny Brown's, so please try not to slide him into Dwayne's true point guard slot. Perry is a combo guard who has a superlative will to score.

If we pick Perry up, and presumably Kramer Soderburg is coming the following year, we are going to be unbalanced. We will have three shooting/combo guards, and Tommie will be our only PG after Dwayne graduates.

dave, i would have no problem giving point guard minutes to kramer soderberg. he is definitely a shooter, one of the best i have ever seen at that level in high school, but he would be fine with the ball as well.

same with kevin lisch. sure lisch is better suited to score from the wing, but kevin actually has superior dribbling skills to liddell imo and he is leading the team in asst to turnover ratio.

Just you and me, kid. It's probably the board's revenge for my refusal to advance the cause of spelling out the SAINT in St. Louis University.

In any event, it takes either a Milwaukee resident (you) or a Mad grad (me) to discern that UWM is the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and UW is the University of Wisconsin-Madison. (In the interest of inconsistent nitpicking, I bitched at our copy desk earlier this week for calling it the University of Wisconsin at Madison.)

Considering UWM's runs in NCAA under Pearl, and Jeter...you would think anyone who follows college ball would know...maybe not your copy desk guy, but surely more than just a couple of folks. It isn't too difficult to find out what a school likes to be called. Everywhere I travel for instance, when people hear about my connections to SLU or St. Louis itself, they always ask me...why does Mizzou call itself MU, when in essence it is U of M? Don't sell college sports fans short Joe.

From the copy desk perspective, sports is a different animal. They'd never all the University of Wisconsin "the University of Wisconsin-Madison," and more likely, in shorter stories, teams would simply be called "Wisconsin."

I often wonder why Ole Miss gets away with 1) always being called by its nickname; 2) having a nickname that's as much of a typo as Dwyane Wade's real name.

I have no doubt the copy desk wouldn't get it right nor care nor take the time....but any decent sports fan should know it is simply Wisconsin .....and to others it can also be called Madison or Bucky. It is if not knowing about the War Eagle at Auburn, etc..or even more simply not calling Boston College BC,....or that kids who go to Notre Dame are Domers.

Ole Miss....is a lot shorter than M I crooked letter crooked letter I crooked letter crooked letter I hump back hump back I.;-)

I'm with you on this one. I don't like combo pg's. I want a true point guard and I don't think Kevin or Kramer are. I think Tommie and Dwayne are.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I wouldn't even go that far Skip. Liddell is a natural wing and Polk is a natural two guard. Polk could be an acceptable two guard playing the point, but he can't shoot. If you can't shoot, can't create for others, and can't finish in the lane on your own, and are undersized, not accomplishing enough out there for me. He can be undersized if he finished more in the lane, and shot better from deep. It would be more acceptable. IMO, SLU needs two point guards.

Well, I can name more UW schools and their mascots than is probably healthy.

However, nothing is more confusing to the copy desk than the University of Vermont wanting to be abbreviated UVM. Coming from Wisconsin I initially assumed the university was in Montpelier, the state capital, and thus UVM was University of Vermont-Montpelier. NOT SO. The university is in Burlington and UVM stands for Universitas Virdis Montis (which is Latin for the English version of the French Vermont).