Was Falkner Recruited?

NuBillsFan

He was not and I think anyone who saw him play at Gateway would not really question that decision too much. He has become a very nice player and I give him credit, but I was very unsure if he was a division I caliber big man based on what I saw of him in high school. I think anyone would love to be able take him or Shaw and put them at the 4.

Thru 7 games, Obi and Horace have seen the court a total of 33 minutes producing 6 points and 4 rebounds.

the story we were told was that falker told romar early on in the process that he was more interested in some specific engineering degree that slu did not have and romar then went on to the next guy.

>the story we were told was that falker told romar early on

>in the process that he was more interested in some specific

>engineering degree that slu did not have and romar then went

>on to the next guy.

Dont you mean Soderberg. Romar was already gone. Falker is class of 2003. Romar left in 2002.

>Roy I asked Brad about the engineering story and he told me

>that he never recruited him period. I think SIU got lucky by

>taking a shot at a not very good high school player who

>turned out to be a good college player.

Not a very good high school player? He averaged 18pts 11rebs and 4blks per game as a senior. They won the PHL. It was the only time in the last 20 years that Vashon did not win the PHL! They only lost 4 games, 1 to the undefeated state champions Cardinal Ritter, another to Tyler Hansbrough and Poplar Bluff, the others to Chicago Young, and Normandy.

His averages by year in high school

Sophomore Pts Rebs Blks

8.8 10.5 4.73

Junior

15.7 11.7 5.56

Senior

17.8 11.0 4.1

Yeah, he wasnt that good of a high school player.

brad didnt recruit him i agree. it was romar that approached him. i asked romar at the time if he was recruiting him and he said told me that falker wanted a certain engineering degree that slu didnt have. i guess we can say that romar lied if that makes everyone feel better.

that said, it is ironic that he is listed currently as majoring in communication design and minoring in marketing and art history.

you were without electricity on Friday so you may have missed this raging debate but the Post had an article on Falker that made it sound like Romar's story you just relayed isn't true. I'll post links the the article and the thread and let you decide.

"Falker wasn't heavily recruited despite leading the St. Louis area with 139 blocked shots as a senior. SLU called so late in the process that Falker never took the Billikens seriously."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...40?OpenDocument

http://www.billikens.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/9544.html

I am not posting this to start another debate, i really just thought you should know about it.

only thing i can assume is that he is talking about soderberg and his staff and not romar. romar talked to him his junior year according to what romar told me. if it was a passing interest and romar got the impression he wasnt coming no matter what because of an academic conflict, why spend the time?

.. that its not racist, just plain stupid, moronic, idiotic .. but then good ol' Putz beat me to it (so to speak).

What did Momma used to say to Forest ... "Stupid is as stupid does."

Seems to be an aptly fitting shoe.

>.. that its not racist, just plain stupid, moronic, idiotic

>.. but then good ol' Putz beat me to it (so to speak).

No, from where I sit only an apologist would characterize those comments as merely stupid or moronic. It offended me beyond the standard garbage. The comments were clearly meant to play into a racial sterotype. If this player had been from DeSmet as opposed to Gateway obviously the comment would not have been made. There is no explaining it away. This poster needs to be banned.

>>.. that its not racist, just plain stupid, moronic, idiotic

>>.. but then good ol' Putz beat me to it (so to speak).

>

>No, from where I sit only an apologist would characterize

>those comments as merely stupid or moronic. It offended me

>beyond the standard garbage. The comments were clearly

>meant to play into a racial sterotype. If this player had

>been from DeSmet as opposed to Gateway obviously the comment

>would not have been made. There is no explaining it away.

>This poster needs to be banned.

The "r" word shouldn't be thrown around lightly, but considering Putz's track record, there is no doubt about it. I don't know what's more scary Metz, or the fact that somebody would not recognize that post for what it was. At the very least the post should be deleted. This is allowed to stand, but making a reasonable political comment that the majority of Americans share will get your post deleted.

I took it more as a failed attempt at humor than racism. If you took his comment immediately to be racist, then you are admitting breaking into cars and homes and smoking pot is something that you would attribute to blacks. I thought it was more a shot at SIU's team since they have had some kids get into some legal trouble.

Metz, why don't you take your vendetta against Brad, write a story, and get it printed in the UNews?

BTW, you do manage to act like a beast looking for truffles, for all the intellectual capacity you claim to possess.

It's not hard to do a search on Falker to confirm his statements from high school that he committed to SIUC to matriculate in a degree program specifically offered at that U. Everything else is water under the bridge, cept for the woulda, coulda, shoulda brigade.

>"I took it more as a failed attempt at humor than racism. If

>you took his comment immediately to be racist, then

>you are admitting breaking into cars and homes and

>smoking pot is something that you would attribute to

>blacks."

>

>Well said.

>

>

>"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands

>up for others." - Ben

Why am I not surprised you would apologize for that comment. Not surprising that you would support a guy who has an established track record of making racist comments. Everybody needs to take AF's comments with a grain of salt. He actually believed saving the Kurds was a major reason we invaded. LOL! His judgement isn't always the best.