starting lineup

nostatic

I think you hit the nail on the head. I don't think there is a person here that wants Luke at the 4, probably not even Luke himself. But, Luke is a gamer and he will do whatever it takes until we are back to full strength. He is the best option we have. It is funny that all of the people who are saying play Obi or HD, haven't seen them play.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

3Star - good point about rebounding. Finally a reasonable arguement to support Luke at the 4. Thanks for the point of view without calling people names or getting emotional.

Skip - you disappoint me. I thought you were above personal attacks. I choose to not throw mud at you even though you did at me. I would never call you stupid even if I think you are but enough said on that issue. I have read my posts - you see if I wrote them I also read them at the time I wrote them but perhaps you write differently then most everybody else.

I have no problem understanding that HD and Obi may not D1 players yet but I still hold the opinion that by playing them you help make them D1 players particularily if you expect them to be playing consistently during the year. It is possible to have different views on a topic and that does not make both sides wrong. As I said before, I will rejoice every win this year regardless of the score or how points are put up but after 2 previous years of Brad saying he wants to run but never really does it you can see why when he puts a kid at pf who even he himself says should not be playing the position and is not how the team will get into post season play it makes people a little wary. This year he can show everybody that he really does mean to do as he says. I am finished with this thread - I have made all my points, right or wrong.

I don't recall calling you a "practice watcher" but I do believe you are and that's an admirable thing in my book. I'd love to be close enough to do that .. or even be a season ticket holder again but geography is what it is. I appreciate the practice watchers very much so keep those cards and letters coming.

I am also very tight with broy (what with the wife-swapping and all that!) and understand his homerism and bleeding Billiken blue. Nothing wrong with that. Steve Bisciotti bleeds Terrapin red. Jack Nicholson bleeds Laker yellow with Dyan Cannon.

I remember a couple of years ago when I think it was broy going to preseason practices and waxing poetically on the talent being the best he has seen. I remember my disclaimer then even now, that if you're the best player at a practice scrum, you will look great but proof will come in the pudding of real games. I still think that's the case with our Billies. And that's enough on that subject. Season opens tongiht .. show me.

I am for whatever lineup gives us the best chance to win. I am for whatever style of play that supports that ability to win. Everybody is now fresh and clean and starts anew. I hope DP throws down 30 piwpg every night. I hope he shoots 45% from the field. I hope JJ comes back so possessed that the memories of the past three years are long forgotten. I hope LM dyes his hair blonde and is Bobby Brannen II (senior year edition). I hope Troy trips over the half court line and tumbles into Daddy sitting in press row ... emerging unscathed but Daddy has a broken nose out of the encounter.

The pudding, albeit the "lite" version, gets served up tonight.

Cheese ... I apologize if I said you were stupid, but your insinuation that Brad has just lied and really doesn't want to run (which he said he feels gives the team the best chance to win) and was just looking for a reason to slow it down is ludicrus. It really is. He is playing Luke because the 1st 2 options at the 4 are hurt. He feels Luke is the next best option. You keep insisting he should play guys that you have never seen play ... how does that make sense? Especially when, not just me ... but almost 100% of the people who have seen them play say they are not ready. I'm sure they will play and get some experience, but you also get experience in practice and you earn your way onto the floor.When you say "I have no problem understanding that HD and Obi may not D1 players yet but I still hold the opinion that by playing them you help make them D1 players particularily if you expect them to be playing consistently during the year." ... what you are saying is he should put something other than his best team on the floor. There is no other way around it, that is what you are saying. IMO ... when he starts doing that ... fire him.

Again ... sorry for calling you stupid. It's just that the negativity on this board over the last 6 months have worn me down. Especially when so many of the posts don't seem to make sense.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

3 star, all due respect, i would assume uab's frantic defensive pressing style created a nice number or turnovers and steals.

What about the Phoenix Suns doing what they had to when there big guy, Amare Stoudemire went down? What do they do? They insert Boris Diaw, a guard, one who was actually signed to be the backup point guard, and they go to the conference finals in the West. Anyone who has seen the Suns play knows that they run, run, and run some more. We insert Luke into the 4 spot, UNTIL J.J. gets back. When J.J. is healthy again he'll play. Pretty simple. All the meantime the new guys, HD and OI can get some experience. Get them 10-15 minutes here and there. Now if you are advocating we give them 30 a game then you are crazy. Lets let the game fold out and get that first game under everyone's belt.

If Brad is committed to running, and he has shown in practice that he appears to be, then why is all the focus towards the fact we don't have a traditional power forward in the lineup right now? Can't it also be that with having Luke in there we create matchup problems for others teams, forcing them to go small to keep up as well?

In Bobby's senior season of 1996-97, the Bearcats were 26 and 8. Bobby led the team in rebounding with 8.1 rpg totaling 268 boards. In addition, he shot 45% from the field in scoring 493 total points and averaging 14.3 ppg. More importantly, as the defensive rebounding maniac at the end of the game, meaning he usually had a missed shot and was fouled, he shot an amazing 84% from the line (all stats off the UC Bearcat official site).

JJ is in his fifth year with the program counting a redshirt season. His career rebounds equal 156. He has made 34 of 51 free throws for a not-too-bad percentage of 68%. He has made 69 of 174 field goal attempts for about 40%. And he has scored at about 2.7 ppg for a total production of 172 points. If he were to approach even remotely some of the number Brannen put up as a senior, there isn't one person on this board who wouldn't be thrilled. Heck, we might even eclipse those 26 wins for the year that Brannen's team posted.

I got into a similar argument with brehms some time back about her brotehr Reggie versus Mark Karcher. My point then was in terms of publicity coming out of Baltimore as a high school senior, Karcher had tons of it, Reggie none. She took me to task over Karcher's thuggery (I think). Different topics, same person. Same goes here. I did not advoacte any Bill being like Bobby Brannen as a person (who i don't know personally) but why wouldn't you want those numbers from a basketball player? Focus, Rich, focus.

my wife always called brannen "the bearcat nazi". with the golden hair and the barbed wire tatoo around his biceps and his less than curteous play, i couldnt really argue with her.

however i do agree he was a very effective player and as far as i know brannen never had offcourt problems like a lot of huggy's players from those days in bearcat history.

Star,

You can find an exception to every rule. But part of the solution UAB employs to counteract their rebound deficiency is full court pressing. Pressing full court is something we don't do. Therefore if you can't dictate the pace on defense you better be able to rebound the defense glass to start the fast break. This is not a very unigue approach therefore I am surprised you even question the concept.

We got Rich to take him! We got Rich to take him! We got Rich to take him! Nyah! Nyah! Nyah!

Seriously, a guy with comparable stats playing the four on this team? Who said Sweet Sixteen. That I might actually endorse!

The play and the stats .... not necessarily the person. I could not agree with Anita's description more. His senior year was his one great year ... he struck me that year as the angelic altar boy who'd cut your heart out with the patten.