Can someone post a Billiken Club Meeting report?

davidnark

>What reason do we have to believe that SLU is in good

>position to garner the high-level recruits in the area? Not

>being negative, just wondering if people on this board have

>heard some things from these players or those close to these

>players.

>

>This season is really going to say a lot as far as our

>chances with these kids. If we have a mediocre season I

>would think you could kiss these kids goodbye, but if this

>team does something special it will show these kids that

>they can be part of a program on the rise in their hometown

>and give us a legitimate chance to sign them.

Well said. It's time to make the Big Dance. That's the best way to help recruiting. This is a huge year for Soderberg. He's gotta do it during Ian's final year. That will help convince the top locals that we can build a program that has a legit shot of making the tourney every year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? I haven't personally attacked Brad in any way.

I am questioning Brad's ability to recruit and sign quality players in the fall based upon his past--and current--record. I wonder why everyone on this board isn't doing the same.

Ouch losing out on 4 of 6 recruits and two offers hanging in the wind.

None of us can be happy with this. As much as Soderberg has adjusted his on the court thinking since he got here, I feel he needs to do that in his recruiting approach as well. I had hoped that the addition of Walker would have helped and maybe it has with this Alexander kid but I think Soderberg must reevaluate his assts if he wants to hang on here. I know you can't be 100% on recruiting targets unless you are Duke but our levels are unaccpetable. I don't care who we lose out to. This staff has had plenty of time to settle in and create and attractive recruiting strategy and it isn't working. I think getting rid of Beane was just the first step. Grunk and Thorpe have to be on notice.

I also concur with Roy. Powell still has plenty of time to get his test scores and grades in order but as time goes on it becomes more and more unlikely that a miracle will occur. We should by no means cut him off, he is a special talent who is good enough to wait on but at this point it looks doubtful that next year at this time he will be suiting up for a D-1 program.

You like the rest of the Kool-Aid drinkers couldn't be further from the truth. First, I have never said we will not be any good this year or lucky to win any games. I expect an NCAA caliber team and will be disappointed if SLU does not make the big dance. Moreover, I have said on many occasions I like our core players of KL TL Ian. But unlike the STC Club I realize our window is short and may be non-exsistant if we can't recruit. I don't want to talk about KL and TL for 1056 time but rather how are we getting better. The recruiting or lack therof is exactly how I said it was for the last three months. The Billiken meeting last night confirm our struggles. You nor the rest of the little blue people can't defend the total breakdown of any recruiting philosophy from this staff. I have demonstrated many times that other programs frequently do it in less than five years but the blue people don't want to listen. As long as I buck up for my six season tickets I will express my opinion. When I stop being a season ticket holder I won't waste my time on this forum. Finally unlike your group of STC club members I value everyone's opinion and beleive your entitled to your stance. I will continue to do what I do at home watching TV if I don't like what I am watching I change the channell. If you don't like what your reading don't read the post.

Oh and don't forget to put sugar in your Kool-Aid it tastes much better that way!!

Neither program made the tournament the last two years. Dayton beat twice last year. I am not sure that the programs are going in opposite directions. Plus, Dayton struggled through injuries last season that SLU face.

David ... can't you pick a better example to push as who we should have as a coach than Gregory. Dayton has gotten worse every year he has been there and are picked to finish worse than us this year. There is no chance you would be happy if he was here and had gotten those same results.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

How can we have an NCAA caliber club ... with all UB recruited players if he recruits so poorly. Making the NCAA tourney puts us in the top 20% of all D1 teams. Which means UB recruits better than 80% of all D1 coaches.

So you claim to be a fan of SLU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is it that every post of yours is from somewhat to very negative?

Why is it that you insult every player and coach every time you get a chance?

Why is it when we get good players we were lucky and you give no credit whatsoever to the coaching staff?

Why is it when we have two very nice and promising 4 men, precisely our area of need and an excellent shooter, another area of need, who are recruited as freshmen this year that you give them no respect whatsoever and act as if they are nothing but lousy players who could have walked on?

Whys is it that you give the coaches no credit for bringing in Ian or developing his game?

Why is it that you refuse to give the staff any credit whatsoever for recruiting Lisch and Liddell, apparantly the only players on our team that are any good at all in your weird world?

We have a team with some nice potential now and in the future, why is it that you say we are going to be terrible in the future whan you have no idea who we might bring in to play for the Bills?

I am absolutely shocked that you claim to be some big fan with 6 season tickets, do you belong to the Billiken Club?

You are one of the most negative and bitter people I have ever encountered, along with a couple of others on this board, But I know it is your consititutional right to say everything negative that you want and to trash the coaches and the players every time you want. if I thought you were a typical Billiken "fan" I would puke!

OK Mr. negative--let's review this year's class:

For this year we have 3 recruits

1. Mr H. Dixon who played at a nationally regonized prep school who had several nice offers. He looks to be an athletic 4 man who can help us immediately. However, because he accepted an offer from this coaching staff, in your world, he cannot be any good at all.

2. A. K. who committed to Missouri when they were concentrating on only national blue chip players. he looks to be a strong inside player who will rebound and give the team some additinal toughness. Obviously, he cannot be any good because he was recruited by the Billiken coaches.

3. DM committed early to the Billikens so he did not go through the full recruiting cycle and gather up offers. As always, because he committed early to the Bills, in your demented view, he must be a lousy player.

Your post is just more of the same junk that you have been posting here for months.

I didn't see Stemler in your list,why not?

1. Dixon must be good because he was still available late in the spring.

2 It is nice to know you feel comfort in takibg rejects from a sub.500 non NCAA qualifier.

3. Nice try on the recruiting cycle angle but there are plenty of early offers extended to under classman just ask OJ.

How did you know Tommie and Kevin were "coming here anyway"

By the way. You're a pathetic hater, blasting early signings and late signings. My prediction is that the next 3 Billiken recruits will be blasted by you and yet will be solid contributers to the program for the next four years. I'm sure by then you'll be pissed about the bathrooms at the new arena and moaning about that sweet sixteen loss to the Illini.

that can't be right ... Brad could not have gotten a guy that was being recruited by 3 Big 10 schools, SIU, and UNLV. Probably just wanted to stay closer to home, if he turns out to be good. If he turns out to be bad ... UB sucks

David:

As you know, I do not post that much for a variety of reasons, however, I want to address your statement above: "I wonder why everyone on this board isn't doing the same (questioning Brad's ability to recruit and sign quality players in the fall).

I cannot speak for anyone else, but when I look at what Brad has to work with, a program with intermittent success, crappy (make that REALLY crappy) athletic facilities, a lack of any material historical national notoriety, and relatively challenging academic standards including the lack of a phys. ed. major, I am not surprised by his lack of success. His success will be built on doing well with the players he has this year and getting some national notoriety via a tournament appearance and a player going to the NBA, an arena rising from the ashes, and another successful year in the A10. When he does this AND fails to land recruits, I will be right there with you.

However, I think the guy is smart, passionate, incredibly committed, and a VERY decent, play-by-the-rules person, which fits in well with the University and the Jesuit tradition. For me, it is more that just winning games; I want the whole package and I think Brad can deliver it. Have other coaches done better? Sure, but there aren't a lot of coaches in his situation that are knocking the ball out of the park.

It is a delicate balance going after top recruits versus offering mediocre recruits early. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Maybe Brad has had a little more bad luck than others, but it is my opinion that it is not a lack of effort, ability, or creativity.

Just my two cents worth.

Are you going tomorrow night???

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben