Scott Suggs update

Nate Latsch

Washington junior combo guard Scott Suggs picked up a scholarship from a big-time school last night.

There is supposed to be a story posted on STL Today.com's site about this soon, so I can't tell you any more about it right now.

But Scott's father, Ron Suggs, said St. Louis University has been recruiting Scott hard.

“SLU has done an excellent job recruiting Scott," Ron Suggs said. "They’ve done everything they can possibly due to let Scott know they are interested in him.â€

Ron Suggs said Brad Soderberg even sent an interesting piece of mail, where the coach claimed he would grow out his hair if Scott came to SLU — and it had a picture of Soderberg with an afro like Scott's.

- Nate

3star,

I think one of the reasons Suggs is ranked as low as he is was because he doesn't talk much about his recruitment, who is recruiting him and who has offered.

If Rivals or Scout had all the info, he'd be ranked a lot higher. If he gets offers from Kansas, UNC and Duke, he'll shoot up the charts. If he signs with one of those schools, he could be a McDonald's All-American.

- Nate

I wouldn't automatically assume this is a loss, it may very well turn out that we don't get Scott, but it also sounds as if he and his family like BS very much and there is something to be said for staying home and becoming a star in front of friends and family. I would think a very good season and a trip to the Dance would be a strng selling point to him.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

>Well there is another top recruit who will be playing his

>basketball out of the state. I'm not faulting BS but when do

>we land the next Larry?

When we can find another All-America with a family member needing an organ transplant and we can promise to move that family member to the top of the donor list if they commit, then we'll land the next Hughes.

Nate,

I would venture to say that you and I have prob seen Suggs play the most in high school, so I come to you with this question. Is it just me or does Suggs play no where near the top 30 Mcdonalds All American level that this schollies merit. The kid has awsome potential and he works his butt off, but it doesn't seem to click at Washington. Now from what I hear he tears it up on the AAU circut. Have you seen him for the Eagles?

That is a pathetic, callous, and libelous cheapshot, especially in light of the passing of Justin Hughes.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

Congratulations, BLaw. In one sentence, you manage to disparage the entire medical/surgical transplant team, the regional transplant coordination staff, the hospital administration, the University, the Hughes family, and the family whose member provided the transplant organ.

Maybe you should do some volunteer pro bono work for a transplant center so you may research the rigorous and fair transplant system, or just continue shooting from the hip. Good research!

>Nate,

>I would venture to say that you and I have prob seen Suggs

>play the most in high school, so I come to you with this

>question. Is it just me or does Suggs play no where near the

>top 30 Mcdonalds All American level that this schollies

>merit. The kid has awsome potential and he works his butt

>off, but it doesn't seem to click at Washington. Now from

>what I hear he tears it up on the AAU circut. Have you seen

>him for the Eagles?

It's tough to evaluate Suggs on his high school play. He's obviously the best player on his team, and his team does not have much talent around him. I didn't see many Washington games last year, but there were definitely times when it looked like Suggs' teammates didn't even want to shoot the ball. Instead, the offense became a series of Suggs running through screens to get mid-range jumpers.

The two knocks I had on Scott last year was that he needed to get stronger/develop his body and he needed to be more explosive. He's been going to a personal trainer for a couple months now, and even though he's still skinny he's been able to gain weight and get stronger and should be more explosive this year.

Suggs was a sophomore last year and averaged 19 points per game on a team that really struggled. He was the focus of every defense Washington came up against, and didn't have much help. I would call that a successful season, even though I see you're point about him not looking like a top 30-type player.

I haven't seen him much with the Eagles, but he's definitely surrounded with a lot of talent there. He played with a 7-footer (Mike Tisdale), a 6-11 kid getting a lot of attention (John Brandenberg) and several other Division I players. That team was young too, with basically half of their players playing up a year in age.

I think you'll see a different Scott Suggs this year. From what I've heard, he's got a lot more confidence in himself, he's gained weight and gotten stronger. Now, instead of going to open gyms and just playing pickup games, he's going out there to dominate.

Suggs has all the natural ability to be a great player and he has the work ethic to become that player.

- Nate

Something I forgot to add:

Suggs was at the University of Missouri last weekend and scrimmaged with the Tigers and several high school recruits in for unofficial visits (including KC's blue chip recruit Travis Releford).

From what I've been told, Suggs held his own.

One of my sources who watched the game said Suggs was the best high school player there.

Releford is highly-regarded, and at one point was considered a top five prospect in his class (same as Scott's class).

- Nate