good win

p diddy

any time you can beat a big XII team, it is a good win for us. anyone who looked at the umkc score and thought we were going to walk over k-state is either smoking crack or never has coached or worked with young people before. i have no idea where k-state will finish in their conference, but they are a talented group.

you should have known going into the game that if you have to face a talented team after they have had three days to stew over a 40-point loss, you were going to have a war on your hands, regardless of where the game was played. i can imagine what those practices must have been like in manhattan heading into this game. we were going to get k-state's biggest effort. they had us on the ropes and we responded and pulled out a tough win.

they have some nice players. not only did we recruit lance harris, but we recruited the 6'10" juco center williams as well. they had a bunch of athletes that were difficult for us to match up with.

has anyone paid attention to what happened to the billikens after the SMS game. It was a terrible loss and an embarrassing effort in springfield. practices after that game were tough, the bench was shortened and we responded with three solid efforts and three nice wins going into our league play. our umkc loss happened to occur in springfield.

i'm watching mizzou beat the hell out of big 10 iowa right now after losing to lowly belmont at home. i'm sure steve alford was looking forward to taking his team into columbia after they had just lost at home to belmont.

a.j. arete is right. don't sound so negative after a win against a big 12 team that has had our number over the years, including a 20-point beating they gave us last year. every game we play in is going to be a dogfight.

a.j., you need to quit your subtle hating on the billikens. it's getting a little old. you finished fourth one year, and fifth the next year in a top eight league that has 14 teams, you have a pretty good team. remember, we are always picked around eighth or ninth in the preseason rankings.

it's no different than finishing sixth, sixth, fifth and sixth in the big 12 when you are picked to finish near the top of the league year after year with top shelf talent.

relax people, at the end of the nonconference season, we are 7-4 against a tough schedule (except for the four money games at home). we played two top five teams, a top 25 team (road win), a big east team and a big 12 team and a solid sms team on the road that was playing a final four game against us. I'll take a 7-4 going into a very tough league slate with a team that is still evolving and getting better as the year goes on.

we had three nice wins going into league play which opens with two tough road games.

bad boyz for life

AJ is just like Ramsey. If the Bills romp than they fly the flag but if they don't play up to their expectations then they bash the team. The problem is that neither is a Bills fan. they are people that are fans of other teams who happen to follow the Billikens.

the bottom line is that this was a fantastic win, all things considered. KS did a great job with their zone taking away Tom and our inside game. We were cold as ice early with reggie missing shot after shot. Yet we kept our defensive intensity. WHen KS scored it was almost always a tough shot over a defender. they made some exremely difficult shots and hit some "prayers" at the end of the shot clock. Yet we persevered. If we had shot the ball better we sould have won by 10 or more.

Kshoe--I am sure the coach was very happy with this win. As a fan it was tense but very exciting to see us come back from 5 down with a minute to play. Let's give the team some credit for not quitting when they were in a very deep hole. Go Bills

If we had played our normal defensive game and kept them at 40% or so from the field we win by 8 to 10. They were able to dribble penetrate pretty easily. My guess is that Brad won't allow that to happen again. who cares, i am thrilled with the win and don't care about the final margin or how we got it.

i agree with pdiddy, i have no clue how umkc could have demolished that team that we played today. that was a nice team imo.

i am thrilled with where we sit right now. i personally had us at 6-5 at this point. a lot of good signs happening imo. josh was the man at the end. wouldnt have figured that. our inside game shows signs of being decent, reggie is only the best outside shooter we have had in years. i like our chances going forward.

k state indeed hit a couple of prayers. the hayden kid hit a 3 from the corner in front of me that izik was in his face like crazy. i have no idea how he got it off let alone even see the basket. they had 3 tips that were just luck and should have been over the back. and billikan is correct that by not hitting some shots early, we let them play that damn zone to the end of the game. we got to hit the shots early or we will see that all year is my guess.

anyone have a clue as to why kfns went off the air before we got the stats and play of the game? instead we are sent to espn network. more media disrespect.

brad did a fantastic job the last 3 minutes to out coach the kstate coach imo. we did everything right imo. if you tell me before the game frericks gets shut down like he did and we still win i say no way.

josh is becoming a stud folks. that last shot and the free throw are career change makers.

I assume you were at the game. As I think about how we played I do not recall that it was easy for KS to dribble penetrate and they had close to zero layups against our set defense. Their shots were from mid range mostly with a few three point shots. In fact we packed it in the paint even though we were playing man to man. The only times they dribbled to the basket were on the fast break after we missed a three pointer and there was a long rebound. that happened several times in the first half. Overall, our defense made them take tough shots in the half court.

3 star I was not smoking crack but I did thin if K State lost so badly to UMKC, then Brad's defense would force turnovers and this would be an easy win. Congrats to K State for gettin off the matt after the UMKC debacle. Were their stras sick, or what??

Anyway, I agree with roy I am Pleased with where we are, although I had them winning the SMS game and sitting 8-3 at this time. TCU ought to be an interesting game, their New coach (Kennedy) had them playing well against Kansas, tonight they face an overrated Vandy team. If we win this game on the road I see good things down the road. If not I still think we can make post season.

Josj and Sloan came through at the crunch, and Reggie steals the ball to win the game.....who woulda thunk he would be the stopper....:)

As for Kstate and shooting, Roy I saw that and I thought Izik was a little slow to get out on him, but another guy hit one from a step beyond the arc with time running out with a hand in his face, and one of their players kept hit little fade aways on the baseline which could not be stopped......

Unlike last years team, the zone slowed us but did not kill us.....if K state does not shoot as well we win going away.

I like Ramsey. He tells it like it is and isn't a shill for the university.

I do think SLU will be able to compete favorably in the A-10 with Brad at the helm. But right now, they don't have the talent level. What they do have is a team that is gelling well together and playing fantastic defense. Hearing Brad compare Ian to Vlade Divac makes me excited about the future of Billiken basketball. Notice the word, FUTURE... the best is yet to come for SLU basketball.

I also found it frustrating that the radio postgame fizzled out and they went to the ESPN radio feed. But they did intend to give us more postgame coverage. Ramsey led into the commercial break saying: "When we come back, Earl will give us stats for the contest..." But after the commercials there were several seconds of dead air. I suspect the proverbial TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES. But a word of explanation or apology would have been in order before they switched to other programming.

that was last year when the big 12 was the number one rpi rated conference. this year the big 12 is 8th. want to be if the big 12 remains 8th and conference usa remains 6th that the results will be reversed this year?

I don't see the Big 12 continuing to be the 8th ranked conference and CUSA ranked 6th. I agree with you that CUSA will get more teams in if they have a higher RPI ranking. The Big 12 may be down this year, but it'll still get more teams than CUSA and the A-10.

I hate to say it ... but I don't think the committee will be as fair as we may think. The Big 12 is traditionally one of the best conferences in the country ... tradition and stature will remain intact

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

how will the conference rpi rating go up if they only play themselves the rest of the season aj? it looks to me as though the big 12 is at best a 4 bid conference this season. tough break since ku, texas and oklahoma are almost assuredly taking three of them. $nyder better step it up as he has to beat out scum sutton, booby, and colorado for that 4th spot now and all four teams appear to be pretty even. oh woe is the tigers journey.

strange since it is the best team money can buy.

but you are absolutely right that the Big 12 won't be able to improve its RPI much now that conference season has started. AJ doesn't seem to understand that.

In defense of the Big 12, their low ranking is mainly from two teams (Texas A&M and Baylor) who are around 260 right now. In comparison the bottom of CUSA is around 170.

Anybody care to guess what the third lowest RPI is in the Big 12? Thats right K-State @ 130.

i believe that currently there are 3 big 12 teams with sub 40 rpi's. 40 is basically the all but in dividing line. everything above that is sheer politics or winning the conference automatic spot to get in imo.

Very funny thread. By your logic we can expect to see; Texas Tech, Rhode Island, Western Michigan, Rutgers, Alabama Birmingham, Texas El Paso, Creighton, Nebraska, Memphis, and Richmond in the tournament.

However should they not win their conference UConn, Mizzou, Oklahoma, Purdue, Texas, Arkansas and Marquette will be in the NIT with the Bills.

But wait you said Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma were for sure getting in out of the Big 12. Not sure of the logic you are using.

Four spots for the Big 12. I have some nice swamp land for sale if you are interested. Again thanks for a good laugh.

of the season.

The Big XII's non-conference resume isn't as strong this year and won't likely change much during conference play (Missouri still has two non-conference games left: Syracuse and UNLV), but I still don't see the conference dipping to below five bids. However, maybe Conference USA will rise to five bids.