Updated 2007 rankings.

VTIME

That is nice that someone ranks Powell at # 78. However, the last time I looked, we have three freshman forwards. The number one priority for this class should be to bring in a quality center. We will need someone behind Bryce and possibly replace Bryce in mid-season. I am not saying that Powell should not be recruited. I am only saying that he is not the number one need for the 2007 class.

Risky, I am not sure bringing in a center is that important - nice but not important. Actually, we will only have 3 PF after this year, JJ graduates. You need more than 3 to be effective particularily if you do not have a bonifide center. If Brad could land a true center who can actually play then I would be fine with 3 PFs but if not then we need 4. Also, I would take another PF who can play over a center who is a project any day.

I am not saying that we need another project at center. We need someone that can be effective in his freshman year. I expect Bryce to be the starter, but he will get in foul trouble on defense or will need extended time for rest. Sure he could be replaced by a power forward. But I would rather see him replaced by a true center.

Perhaps, Knollmeyer could be a back-up center? There are three scholarships available for 2007 - 2008. Our needs would seem to be to bring in guys that will be ready to start in their sophmore year at small forward/wing, center and a combo point and shoting guard. I am not certain that Powell fits those needs, unless it would be at small forward.

Brad's recruiting as anyone but I think the chances of us getting a center in this class that can play is virtually nil. Every college in the country would love to recruit a center that will be able to play significant minutes by his sophomore year. Since the St. Louis area does not seem to be producing any of those this year what comparative advantage do we have in getting one of these guys over BCS schools? Its not gonna happen.

What I think Brad's plan right now is to recruit good players that could help us, regardless of position. Hopefully we will land Powell and maybe somebody like Pullen but I'm not holding my breath on him. Worst case is we don't sign anybody (something I usually hate) and hold them for what is an outstanding local class next year. Again, normally I'm not a fan of this policy but this year it might be right. The last thing you want to do is sign some marginal big-man and lock up a scholarship that could be used on a local stud the next year or will scare a guy like Brandenberg. Even if the big-man is marginal, recruits like to know that they will have guaranteed playing time.

Are there any whisperings of where we stand with Powell right now? Do people think he'll be a solid small forward in college?

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

I went through the list as fast as one can for 700 names. I like the quesiton asked by someone that said where did this come from. Without some form of context, who know and more so, who cares. Must be like "Who's Who" among high school students ... pay your way in or get noticed and you're onthislist. I don't know and without that neither does anyone else.

We have bantered about names on here and he-who-posts-no-more has a pretty comprehensive Who's Who list of his own. But he has mentioned the following guys at times over here who are on the list (for whatever that's worth): Goode at 33, Alex Tyus 46, Powell at 78, Brandon McGee at 110, Mike Tisdale at 112, Jarryd Cole at 121, Andrew Keuker at 144, Jon Leuer at 163, Rahmon Fletcher at 173, Alfred Nelson at 230, Lucas O'Rear at 246, Zac Swansey at 277, Pullen at 291, Rolandis Woodland at 317, Andrew Beinert at 323, Marvin McNutt at 365, Dwight McCombs at 500, and Albury Doss at 599. I think the whole Mouth of Wilson Academy is on the list by the time you get to #78 which is only two beyond the highest St. Louis player ranking, for what that's worth.

But this is the group that is supposed to sign up in November, right? The group that includes Brandenburg, Harrelson, Sharpe, Perry adn Suggs. That group right? And jsut where the heck are they? I mean, if beignonthis list is validation as it seems to be for Powell, where are the others and what does their absence mean?

those players like Suggs and Brandenburg are class of 2008.

FYI- here is the Sports Illustrated top 100, for what it is worth:

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/highschool/09/11/top.seniors/index.html

ps -- I think these mythical 'rankings" are dubious at best -- especially beyond the top 20-30 "stud athletes," some of whom are probably amazing but weak at the game of basketball.

pss-- I believe we should also be trying to sign a point guard and a hot shot scorer/shooter 2 guard/wing this fall.

I agree.

These rankings are dubious if you don't live in a major media market. Its all about what AAU team you play for and how high you can jump.

I think we need to take a strong look at Eckerle from Borgia.

He is scorer( shot 49% from three), athletic, plays lockdown defense, can jump outa the gym, and is ranked numbero uno in his class.

He has been my favorite player for a while in the STL area. He doesn't get a lot of attention because he was overshadowed by Luke and Moosmann but he will definitely put his name on the map this year.

I know that mizzou and MSU are already interested along with some IVY leagues.