still weeping, weeping...

gruehls

For social activities/entertainment, I would suggest only leaving campus to go to the Central West End, Soulard, Lafyette Square, the Loop, and downtown. You can find something novel and fun to do in one of those locations nearly every night of the year.

If you need groceries or shopping, then the Galleria, Target, Dierbergs, and Schnucks in the Brentwood/Richmonds Heights area are your best bet for a SLU student.

If you crave a little taste of suburbia, then Kirkwood and Webster do the best job of mixing suburban life with some old fashioned charm.

For parents and adult visitors, nice restaurants are available in all of the places noted above, as well as in Clayton.

The metrolink can get you to or near most of these locations (except Kirkwood and Webster), but travel with a group if you are using the Grand Station.

Make sure to checkout the City Museum at least once (it is downtown on Washington Ave.); it is like no musuem anywhere else in the world. There is even a real log cabin the parking lot that serves adult beverages.

so you are letting the little bird flutter off to the big city . . . .

first, tell him or her that most student burnout/drop outs occur in the first year, by far. The initial 2-3 months of a college student's career are probably by far the most important for long-term success. so hunker down immediately and start studying.

besides places already mentioned, the south city area around south Grand is a really happening area for SLU folks. It is getting better and better and is a great place to get cheap and very good food, esp. Asian. And the hill--Italian area, with great food and one of the best coffee shops for hanging out (Shaw Coffee). Near campus, Nadoz is very popular but I tend to hang out at the Bread Company on South Grand, or at Shuggah's near my house.

Also hoppin' these days is the area just west of campus on Manchester.

The parks are way cool here in St. Louis -- esp. Forest Park, the largest city park in the country, and Tower Grove in south City. But out in the county are some surprising parks for hiking and chilling on a weekend -- like Rockwoods Reservation, Castlewood, Greensfelder, Lone Elk, and Babler, all within a half hour or so of campus. Also out over the Missouri River -- the Busch area, or the wine country is great for a drive in the woods. Or along the Old Miss River north of Alton, IL.

Manchester - The Grove - still has a LONG way to go, despite the presence of some great new places. Once Amrit and Amy Gill have finished renovating the buildings they own, it should be pretty sweet though. Hopefully the city will come through with some streetscape improvements too.

gruehls, if your son needs anything please feel free to have him contact me. i am sure he will soon see the benefits of slu over uc! ;-)

my son is a junior at slu now as well.

While Forest Park is a large and really great park, it is not the largest city park in the country (I believe Phoenix, a friend recently moved there, has at least two that are MUCH bigger). According to Infoplease (which I just checked) it is the 51st largest city park in the US but that includes 14 state/national parks in cities which would make it the 37th largest City City Park). The largest Forest Park is in Portland, Ore.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0933260.html

Anyway, Forest Park is great and size does not matter!

Gruehls,

Never thought I'd be able to say this, but I feel your pain.

Just got back from Cincinnati a day ago, dropping my youngest off...to begin her freshman year at Xavier. (My small consolation -- at least it's a Jesuit school...and not the Bearcats...that hooked her.)

I have extracted a pledge from my daughter, never to become a Reds fan. But she has already learned at least one "X-Men" basketball cheer. So I guess this means the winter months will become chilly indeed around the Scrivener household.

super bearcat fan, gruehls sends offspring to slu and longtime billiken backer and alumnus scrivner, sends his daughter to xu.

I think it was Bonwich who pointed out once upon a time that SLU's bloodlines run deep: He dug up info indicating that Notre Dame "borrowed" its original curriculum from our alma mater. And the same is true of Xavier, I've learned: SLU provided the curriculum -- and even some faculty members -- when the Jesuits took over the college from the archdiocese of Cincy, way-back-when.

So I like to say that my daughter has enrolled in SLU's "Cincinnati campus". That never fails to get a rise out of my beloved Musketeer.