SLU going after Chicago PF

>Cheeseman:

>

>I guess by that standard we shouldn't have aggessively

>recruited Tommy and we shouldn't be making offers to kids

>like Brandenberg, Griffey or Harrellson.

Again, Tommie and Griffey are program changers. Also, Brandenburg and Griffey go to two of the best schools in Missouri. Powell isn't a high GPA student like Polk and McKinney were and he goes to one of the worst schools in Missouri. I really don't see a problem with making an offer contingent on him qualifying.

In my opinion, Powell and any other player who wants to go to college should be looking for a new high school. Remember, Vashon does not have a coach. For that matter, Vashon and all other city schools may not even have respectible sports programs. The city schools are going to have a hard time even opening the doors. Unfortunately the kids are going to be left behind. And kids like Powell will no longer have exposure. If they want exposure, they will need to spend a year at prep school. Or they will need to transfer to another school. Because of residency restrictions, it is probably too late for transfers to other public schools. Can Powell transfer to a private school? Can he qualify? In your opinion, what is the future for sports in St Louis City Public Schools?

>In my opinion, Powell and any other player who wants to go

>to college should be looking for a new high school.

>Remember, Vashon does not have a coach.

It won't be hard finding a replacement for Floyd (if he loses his appeal) given the success the Gameface 16s are having on the AAU circuit. Over the next two years, Vashon is going to be pretty good no matter who the coach is.

For that matter,

>Vashon and all other city schools may not even have

>respectible sports programs. The city schools are going to

>have a hard time even opening the doors.

The PHL hasn't been a respectable sports league for about 15 years now. And why would city schools have a hard time even opening the doors?

Unfortunately the

>kids are going to be left behind. And kids like Powell will

>no longer have exposure.

If Floyd really is gone, they'll be able to play for The Eagles and Gateway over the summer like everybody else. That's when most of the D-1 evaluation takes place. Also, Powell, McKinney and the Hill brothers were all transfers from other districts who would never have attended school in the PHL without the lure of the Vashon basketball program.

What I am saying is the St Louis City Schools are in total disarray and may not be able to recover for several years. If we can believe the news, the district is even facing the possibility of being taken over by the State. It that happens, the State will try to bring the schools up to standards through academics. Athletics will not be a priority. This does not serve well for the kids that want to make something for themselves. And for most city boys, the only way they can make something for themselves is through sports. If there are poor sports programs or even no sports programs, some kids will not have opportunities to go to college.

Yes, I feel that Floyd Irons is really gone. Maybe a private school will pick him up like CBC did with Bob Shannon.

I understand that the AAU summer programs are important. However, kids need to play at the high school level in order to get on an AAU team.

answering an early question to why is the offer on the DL. word on the street is that floyd is upset with slu ever since dwayne lost his starting position during the 2006 season. he hasn't hidden his displeasure, because DJ would be on his show complaining about DP not starting. there was even speculation of DP leaving (perhaps for Mizzou) for a minute, but that didn't come to pass.

through the late spring and early part of the summer, leon was a fixture at slu. he played in all the pickup games, hung out a little bit. one weekend, when vashon was playing at a team camp out of twon, leon stayed behind to work. he spent much of that weekend on campus hanging out with dwayne. knowing that they had offered, the coaches were pretty encouraged to see leon around campus so often. the staff has been following leon's gameface team throught the summer. word on the street is that three coaches were in vegas and someone from the staff was at all of leon's games. they also watched all of his games at the NIKE camp. at this stage of the game, you don't do that with guys who you're just interested in. you do that with your prime recruiting targets. with such a limited window to actually be out on the road, you spend your time tracking the kids that you really want (and there are many).

However, much of leon's presence at slu stopped happening during the summer.

floyd pretty much shut that down and people have said that leon doesn't come around any more. That is probably why you won't hear SLU's name prominently mentioned when it comes to leon's recruitment. This is really not a new tactic in the recruiting game. If a high school or aau is mad at a certain school, he'll either keep his kids away from that school, let the school keep recruiting their kids and spending their money with no hope of getting the kid, never mention the school during the kids' recruitment.

word has it that floyd is really waiting on mizzou, who has been very cool on leon, but has recently picked up the pace in the last few weeks. maybe that's true. I don't know.

anyway, if leon wants to become a billiken, he'll come. if not, you just keep working.

bad boyz for life

Thanks to Nark for the use of the Billiken

As always, your post has the ring of the inside scoop. Here's hoping, with Irons on the outs, that Leon becomes his own man and does what's right for him. I have to think that DP is still touting the upside of staying home and thinking of life after basketball.

>word on the street is that floyd is upset with slu ever

>since dwayne lost his starting position during the 2006

>season. he hasn't hidden his displeasure, because DJ would

>be on his show complaining about DP not starting. there was

>even speculation of DP leaving (perhaps for Mizzou) for a

>minute, but that didn't come to pass.

Yeah, Dwayne has had no opportunity to play or showcase his talents. That's ridiculous.

Lets see, Leon was a regular during the spring and early summer. He talked to Thorpe all the time. He stayed behind while his Vashon teammates went to the Western Illinios team camp. He's great friends with Dwayne Polk. All this tells me is that he really wants to play for SLU like I've been saying the last 2 years. If he has an offer, why no commitment? You cant even use Irons as an excuse, because he's been gone for weeks. Why cant the two sides come to an agreement. P. Diddy, I'm gonna stop arguing with you. In fact I want your opinion on how this Leon Powell situation is comparable to the Lance Stemler situation. Are we closer to Powell than Lance? It would not be hard for me to believe that Leon has received an offer from SLU in the last month, but you've been saying he had one since April, when the article on April 30th said his first offer was from Bradley. That's the issue I've been disputing. He's been in the state finals all 3 years, the leading scorer from a local school that was ranked #1 in the country and led the Nike Jamboree in scoring and then went to th Nike Camp this year. I'm not gonna insult Brad's intelligence and say he didnt offer. I'm saying he didn't offer when you said he did. He may have been about to, but the 30 times you say he was offered in May after the article came out, he had no offer. All this P. Diddy credibility stuff is fine, but I was the one on this site who notified you all about Powell's Bradley offer, about his Nike Camp invite, his Nike Camp appearance, and other information. I have as much credibility with this particular recruits as he does, probably more.

"I have as much credibility with this particular recruits as he does, probably more."

No, no you don't. You have zero credibility, in fact, you have negative credibility (when you say something, i think the opposite of what you are saying to be true).

You're an infantile person, with 3rd grade whining as a guise for arguing.

You have been proven wrong many times, one of which i pointed out last week to which there was no response (post #20 on the following thread http://www.billikens.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/8547.html#20).

"but I was the one on this site who notified you all about Powell's Bradley offer, about his Nike Camp invite, his Nike Camp appearance, and other information."

Poor kid, all you do is beg for attention and acceptance. You are so insecure that you come to this internet site and pound your chest about retarded accomplishments (tennis at harris stowe) or your "inside" scoops and demand credit for them.

Maybe p.diddy doesn't have the time to post fairly innocuous details.

Vee .. it seems to me that if you are this creidble with Leon, you should ask Leon. It would be great (if it weren't a recruiting violation or something) to have Leon come on here and tell us what the scoop is (as if that could really happen) and lay all these things to rest.

As for credibility, you came on here and cited things like some sort of troopsports.com site or something and bashed me for not knowing who that was and therefore I have no local high school credibility. That doesn't bother me because as I have said before, I don't. I make no bones about it. I don't know who Lacy Clay is but I'm sure there is some sort of nepotism involved with all that. Again, so what, I'm not ashamed to admit that. I don't present myself as a poster of valid information on recruits as you do. Going back to your citation of troopsports, I then see where a poster identifies Caleb Troop as some high schooler looking for a career as the next Mel Kiper, jr., only on the high school sports side. Is that your goal as well? Again, internet sites do not merit any certainty carte blanche.

Your defense of Floyd is admirable but then I read about someone stating where Floyd and DJ are upset about Dwayne Polk losing his starting position. EXCUSE ME! Who the h*ll are DJ and Floyd to even voice an opinion! I think most guys on this board would quickly point out that while DP brings an added dimension to this team and should be kept on it (although I am not sure that is my opinion right now), his production is such that he merits they very spot he finds himself in. I don't agree with every move any coaching staff makes but unless I'm there day-ina nd day-out and living through it all, I am not qualified to make public statements about it. Shock jocks or not.

I believe Leon has more to do with where he stands right now than anyone else in town. I also find it interesting that despite all the accolades you lay on this kid, the fact that ONLY Bradley has offered (and let's accept that as fact in this case for argument's sake) speaks volumes. Dig Mr. journalist Wanna-Be ... dig.