ex-recruiting name: Lucas O'Rear

Just because we didn't offer a kid doesn't mean BS thinks he isn't good enough. Maybe the kid said he wasn't interested, and he narrows his search before BS could offer. Maybe there are traits about the kid that we don't know (GASP!). There are twelve spots on the team, so we are unable to offer 35 scholarships to every kid who has received a sscholarship within a 60 mile radius of SLU. I would say brad did a pretty good job of bringing in last year's class. Before you start reciting the list of failed recruits just look at every other program in the country as well. For god's sake, Duke signs five McDonald's All-Americans each year, and two of them end up sitting the bench for their career as well, so let's lay off the talent evaluation thing.

Does the word "recruiting coordinator" exist in any of our job titles? Just checking.

I think O'Rear is a different story though. We've been talking about this kid for a few years now and it seems the board has always been split as to whether or not we want him. Even those who said they did want him, didn't think he'd be more than an undersized power forward...who may or may not be a contributer. If all these questions are out there, why offer? We apparenly have SEVERAL PF candidates in the fold for next year. These are not high major players, but players who we have a great chance at getting. And all these players have more press clippings than O'Rear.

And don't forget the pf slot is filling up. How many PF offers are out there right now? Quite a few. We get O'Rear. Along with Obi, and AK. Do you think Powell or this Dixon kid would want to come to SLU? Doubtful. Both of which are reportedly hands down better than O'Rear.

Hardball and Box and Won, with all your infinite wisdom of talent evaluations how has the job search gone this summer as an assistant coach? Have you gotten lots of interviews? I bet you have a killer resume, huh? Maybe you could print off some of your posts here to add, this will show what great hind sight you have and what a pathetically loyal fan you are!! Go get 'em!

Just spare me (and Hardball) the whole "how has the job search gone this summer as an assistant coach?" routine. The whole point of this board is to facilitate discussion on Billiken basketball - and none of us has all the answers. If you disagree with a point someone has made, that's fine, just do it in a more constructive manner.

Probably right, I enjoy the board a lot, but I get really fristrated because of all the second guessing. This might come from my dad being a coach for tewenty years and being a Billiken athlete for five years as well. I guess I just feel like the coaches deserve more respect than they get.

And I apologize for swearing, which I rarely do (on this board, at least).

I certainly respect our coaches, but at the same time think it's fair to second guess them when warranted. Once we get over the hump and start making it back to the tournament on a regular basis, I'm sure a lot of us second guessers will quiet down a bit.

Ha, slubaseball is talking about the basketball team. I find that funny since the basketball team has had more wins per year then the baseball team on several occasions (point there being Basketball plays 30 games a year and baseball plays 50 games a year). I had to explain so people like Billiken_Roy won't get lost in my whitty comment.

you better go back and reread my posts. i said then and say now, that yes i would be happy to have o'rear, but not now. i agree that there are better choices out there that i would rather have first and if o'rear could have been convinced to wait around i would love to have him. i continue to believe he will be another jeff harris. i just believe we can get better than that.

We have 2 freshman Pf's ... so I don't see a problem in not adding one in next years class unless UB feels he is can't miss. Even if O'Rear goes to UNI and has a great career, that doesn't mean UB made a mistake. He has to make a decision based upon who he is also recruiting and who is on his roster now ... it's easy to make those decisions after the fact, much harder to do it before hand.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

especially under the soderberg realm, we have no clue who else he is pursuing and feels he is close on. so when a very credible player from the area gets away, it is easy to wonder "what the f....?"

i have said countless times soderberg playing his recruiting cards so close to the vest makes us crazy. it would be nice to have more of a clue as to what is going on behind the scenes to let us see both sides. however, i also somewhat understand the need for secrecy.

why cant there be a happy medium between a recruiting gossip disclosure and the CIA? i dont get it.

I don't agree that Northern Iowa's program is better than SLU's. One season does not make a program. Northern Iowas had a better season than SLU did in 2005-06, but that doesn't mean that SLU won't be a better team in 2006-07 than UNI. In fact, I won't even concede that Northern Iowa was a better team then the Bills last year. All of the Valley teams took advantage of some savvy scheduling.

As Ron Burgundy would say, "Agree to disagree."

Northern Iowa has had a better program than SLU for years now - three straight 20-win seasons, three straight NCAA tournament appearances with two at-large bids.

They played a decent schedule last year and beat some tough teams, including Iowa, LSU and Bucknell.

I saw O'Rear play and he dominated against small schools and smaller defenses...However I do not think he would have been an impact player for the Bills...He seemed to lack the necessary qualities of quickness, shooting ability from other than down under, and rebounding against athletic taller opponents.