New offer

Andrew Beinert Profile - http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2170143

Andrew Beinert, a guard out of Chaminade High School in Mineola, NY, recently picked up an offer from St. Louis, according to Chaminade assistant coach Bob Paul.

The Atlantic 10 program saw him with the Lightning at the Kingwood Tournament in Houston and came away very impressed. SLU assistant Jason Grunkemeyer came to Long Island to check in with Beinert during the contact period.

Beinert was offered a scholarship by St. John's in the fall. He is still receiving consistent interest from programs like South Carolina, Davidson, Hofstra, and Holy Cross.

I guess this is "negative" but do we really need to be offering a 6'1, two-star guard from the East Coast when there is an ABUNDANCE of big men coming up in our own area?

He has gotten offers from Stony Brook, Hofstra, Davidson, Fairfield, and Boston U. Are these the type of teams we really want to be competing with for players? I realize Hofstra and Davidson have been decent lately, but come on.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong; from all indications we have offered yet another role-playing, mediocre guard, while we have yet to offer Leon Powell???????? Doesn't that seem a little ridiculous to anyone else?

Pass the kool-aid: This looks like a solid recruit who would do very well at SLU and fit right in. Larger than 6'1" and as a junior is probably still growing anyway. Report says he can take over games and has excellent court vision. See story below from NY Insider: sorry for such a long post but it is off-season and this looked interesting to me. Plus, other good teams in power conferences, like St. John's. Notre Dame, and South Carolina, are all now sniffing around Beinert. We may be getting in on this kid at a very good time.

The streets seem to be mumbling to me that we may not be offering a few of these locals because they have no real interest in SLU. But that is totally off the record.

Also note that this kid Beinert, along with the other kid mentioned in Minnesota, are outstanding students. Please do me a favor and understand that lots of recruits are going to struggle scholastically at SLU and that will undoubtedly come into play when it becomes time to make offers.

New York Jr. Combo Guard Has Two Offers

By: Brian Towey

Date: Sep 25, 2005

Andrew Beinert, 6-foot-2, 160 pound junior combo guard from Chaminade High School in Mineola, New York, has a trio of New York colleges following his play. One, along with Davidson, has offered a scholarship.

Call it the Kyle McAlarney effect.

New York area player toils in virtual anonymity, distinguishes himself on a local level, but hasn't yet appeared on the type of stage that would catapult his reputation beyond that. We've seen it before in the recent past with McAlarney, the Notre Dame freshman, with a player like Johnny Garcia (Seton Hall), and it happens all the time. At some point, a player's reputation crystallizes, word seeps out, and his stock climbs frantically.

It's too early to tell, but this very well could be the case with Andrew Beinert. The 6-foot-2, 160 pound combo guard from Chaminade High School in Mineola, New York, had been one of Long Island's best kept secrets until recently. In fact, the junior still is very much an unknown, even in local circles. However, you get the sense that he's on the cusp of being recognized well beyond Nassau County.

"He's a very special player," said Chaminade High School assistant coach Bob Paul. "I think that, number one (his biggest strength) is his court vision. He sees the floor as well as anybody I've coached. And he just makes guys around him better. He can score, but he doesn't need to score to dominate the game."

When you talk about Beinert, it's hard to overlook his savvy and high basketball IQ. He's adept at using screens, and moves well without the ball.

"He doesn't need to have the ball in his hands to make an impact on a game," said Paul. "He's a real student of the game. He knows where to be to put himself in a position to score."

With the superlatives being tossed around, the question begs -- why isn't Beinert's name out there like some other prospects? Well, perhaps it's because he hasn't done the camp circuit, with its accompanying hype and acclaim. He was a standout for Coach Joe Walsh with the Long Island Lightning at the 16 and under AAU Nationals in July, helping the Lightning to a sixth place finish overall.

What Beinert has been is an emerging talent out of the Long Island Catholic League for Coach Jim Quinn at Chaminade. An all-boys school with a commendable academic reputation, Chaminade's teams have often mirrored their student body -- smart and efficient. Underclassmen very rarely play starring roles with the varsity, but after being brought up as a sophomore, Beinert showed that he belonged.

"It doesn't happen very often for us, but after about 10 games, we put him in the starting line-up," said Paul. "He had the ability to take over for stretches of games."

One of those stretches happened to be against St. Mary's of Manhasset, which made a case for itself as one of the nation's top prep teams last year. Beinert came off the bench against their veteran team and quickly provided a spark.

"We subbed him in, and he went on a 10-0 run of his own," said Paul. "(St. Mary's coach) Tim Cluess had to call a time out and ask who was guarding this guy."

The same thought had to have crossed the minds of onlookers when Beinert went off for 37 points against the New York Gauchos playing with a Chaminade team at the IS8 League in Queens early this week.

A few local programs have taken an interest. Beinert picked up scholarship offers from Hofstra and Davidson this summer. Hofstra has monitored him closely. St. John's head coach Norm Roberts also made an appearance in Mineola this week to evaluate Beinert, and reportedly liked what he saw. Others who have shown preliminary interest include Notre Dame, Bucknell, and Columbia. It seems to early to tell who will become players in his recruitment.

A native of Floral Park, Beinert carries an 88 average in the classroom.

If it were I would be excited about recruiting a kid St. John's is interested in. Last year they were 12-15.

My point being that St. John's is the only "name" school that has offered and they have been bad for quite a while.

I think the kid up in Minnesota looks like a real nice player, but excuse me for not getting excited about Beinert just yet.

Doctor, I respect what you are saying but please spare me the "scholastic rigors of SLU" B.S.. Yes SLU is a good school. I am very proud that my alma mater is considered one of the top 100 schools in the nations. Howver, last time I checked Duke had a pretty good academic reputation as well as some of the best teams in NCAA history.

If he offers early he is doomed ... if he offers late he is doomed. Sometimes there is just no way to win. Who has offerred Powell or the Brandenburg kid?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

It looks to me that you want the certainty that a sexy high major offer provides. Mid-majors like SLU are not going to get good players by waiting for the likes North Carolina State to offer first. They've got to trust in their ability to evaluate talent to get a jump on the competition.

Skip, it is clear we are never going to see eye-to-eye. I think you would disagree with me just for the sport of it, but I digress.

So you really think we need another role playing guard on a team chock full of role-playing guards? This kid is not a program changer. LOOK AT THE TEAMS RECRUITING HIM! Say what you will about not buying rankings, but at some point you have to at least consider that the rankings, along with what other programs have offered, give a pretty good indication of what kind of player we are talking about here.

On a side note, offering a senior-to-be does no constitute offering a kid "early" in my book.

i agree with skip drew. cant win in your eyes. last week it was all about why we wait to offer. slu should be finding recruits early and offering scholarships before everyone else. now you are upset because we are offering before anyone else comparable. you need to be consistent in your argument. otherwise it just looks like you take the results and spin it such that coach soderberg and staff arent doing their job. be consistent.

as to specifically commenting on this pick, per the article that doc b offered, it sounds to me he is a nice player. and considering we know we have also offered the point guard in chicago as well as the power forward from chicago, it appears that we arent just sitting back and doing nothing as many of you like to imply.

now mr diddy informs us that brandenburg indeed has a slu offer in hand for the loaded sophomore class. i hope that two years in advance is early enough for the soderberg naysayers that feel we havent been offerring players early enough.

as to powell not getting an offer, first, i dont think we know that for sure. only vtime has told us different. and to be honest, i wouldnt bet my stack of chips on vtime info. we do know that coach soderberg has watched a number of vashon games and shown a lot of interest in powell. i say we see how it shakes out.

Amen, Roy. You can't catch a break. You offer early (a la maguire and this guy) and the kid isn't worthy of a scholly since nobody bigger offered. Offer late (a la Stemler) and then you weren't doing your job since you offered so late. It's always a lose-lose situation in some people's minds. Whatcha gonna do, eh?

> word on the street is that john brandenburg of desmet

>received his offer from slu sometime last week. maybe, OJ

>can confirm this. he would know best of all on this front.

>

>that's the lastest. out.

Glad to hear it. Now we can stop debating why SLU has failed to offer Brandenburg. Hope we get him.

How many stars was Kevin going into his Sr year, how about Tommie. The thing is when no majors have offerred Leon Powell or Brandenburg we are wrong for not offerring. Now in the case we are wrong for offerring. If you read the article it sounds like he may be more than a role player.

I was thinking the same thing about you finding fault with the coaching staff ... no matter what they do you will find fault. You took one side of the same argument regarding Brandenburg and the opposite side on this one.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

Johnnies are definately the lowest of the low in the Big East. I wish Marquette hops on board with the Johnnies and sink out in Jamacia Bay, NY.

Did they confuse this kid from Chaminade in NY with a kid from C-World/CCP in St. Louis? I'm sure they did. Idiots.

Ridin' Dirty STL

You all are so right. The same people who were calling out Sodie for not offering Brandenburg are now upset with him offering this kid. I like to see us offering quality kids early and I don't see any merit in the argument that a kid can't play just because he isn't being buried with offers from high-major programs. Many of the elite programs have the ability to wait and offer kids a little later in the process. Teams below that status are forced to take some gambles and offer earlier in the development of players if they have any chance of competing once the big dogs come calling later on. I like the offer and we as fans need to trust Grunk and the rest of the staff in their ability to evaluate talent.

I do not queastion the timing of the offer as much as the offer itself.

Brandenburg, Griffey, and other of their ilk are clear D1 talents even early in high school. You have to get next to these guys early.

Again, offering this guy going into his senior year, when he doesn't have ONE offer from any team that even resembles a high major, is questionable. To me we are not getting in on a diamond in the rough, we are just getting in on a kid that seems iffy as to whether or not he can play at this level. Why is there so much faith in the recruiting abilities of this staff and in this particular instance, why do we need more of the same type of players?

there is a difference - 6-11 local kid (at a Jesuit HS, no less) vs. a 6-1 kid from New York. There are plenty of 6-1 guards in the sea, probably a few in the STL area just as good, but 6-11 stud centers don't come around very often, let alone in your back yard.

the insinuation was this kid wasn't any good due to no major schools having offerred him and only having 2 stars on rivals. Who had offerred Brandenburg last week and how many stars? This kid may have shown an interest ... maybe he said he might be interested in getting away, but likes the fact he can come home a few times a year ... maybe they think he is better than most of the local kids ... maybe he and grunk have developed a good relationship and the staff feeels like they have a good chance to get him ... maybe they called Miss Cleo and she advised them to go after him ... who the hell knows. It just seems he is damned if he offers early and damned if he offers late.

Now Brandenburg has his offer from SLU, if word on the street is right. If I'm not mistaken, the only other teams to offer him so far are Missouri State and SIUC. Brandenburg has been quoted as saying he dreams of playing in the ACC someday. If that changes, and he wants to stay home or the ACC schools don't offer, then I would have to think that we have a very good shot at this kid and that we didn't offer too late. He's still young, and isn't going to have his feelings hurt that we were only the third school to offer. The first two were in the Valley, and are the programs that jump on St. Louis kids as soon as possible, hoping that others will pass.

If people are still complaining about Brandenburg not being offered soon enough, I would love to hear the rationale. Also, it doesn't seem like the kid from New York was offered before Brandenburg, as many people seem to be complaining about. It looks like it was pretty close to the same time, so why is it even an issue? They don't even play the same position- probably a good indicator we want both of them.

Also, the stars and list of schools next to a kid's name aren't always the best indicator of how good a player will be. So many of these players haven't been seen enough to be properly evaluated, save for the top handful in any class. So many of the people complaining are the same ones who say we should give up on the kids with 4 or 5 stars and being recruited by the top programs out there. If we can't recruit the top kids, and can't waste our time with the rest, who do you want us to recruit?

Seems to me that coach is already trying to have a replacement for KL in the wings - I'm happy with the offer. A 6'2 kid who can take over a game...sounds like a Kevin clone. Anybody here unhappy with the early offer we gave KL?