Matt Shaw update (Sept. 19)

Nate Latsch

I wonder if SLU even offers his major? I think we have some engineering programs but Randall Falker was a guy who never considered SLU because of our lack of a certain engineering program. SIU has a top engineering school and I assume Stanford has a good one as well.

http://www.slu.edu/readstory/homepage/3006

High Marks for SLU's Engineering Programs:

In addition, U.S. News once again gave high marks to undergraduate engineering programs offered by Saint Louis University's Parks College of Engineering and Aviation. The aerospace engineering program ranked 4th in the nation, and undergraduate engineering programs overall moved up three spots on the list to No. 27. SLU's undergraduate engineering programs ranked No. 2 among Catholic institutions on this list for schools whose highest degree is a master's.

"As new dean, I am extremely proud to be part of such an exceptional college," said Bjong Wolf Yeigh, Ph.D., who came to SLU this year from Yale University. "Parks College of Engineering and Aviation is honored to receive national attention for the efforts it is making to provide the very best education possible. As the college moves forward, we will continue to integrate excellence in undergraduate education with an emphasis on research."

More about Parks College:

Founded in 1927, Parks College of Engineering and Aviation prepares students for careers in engineering, aviation, computer science and related fields. Satisfying this mission demands excellence in academic programs that integrate the education of the whole person, in the liberal and Jesuit traditions, with classroom and laboratory experiences in the major fields of study.

I looked up Park's engineering departments. Maybe I was too hasty.

Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering

Department of Aerospace Technology

Department of Aviation Science

Department of Biomedical Engineering

Department of Computer Science

Department of Electrical Engineering

The only major disciplines missing are civil and chemical engineering. Falker is a civil engineering major.

As hard as I've always tried to consider Parks a part of SLU, its always been a "foreign" afterthought .... kind of like SLU-Madrid. Wouldn't a person have to attend all of his or her classes in Illinois? Even though that might be seen as an advantage to some, wouldn't Matt as a bb scholarship player, live on campus? He'd fight rush hour at least down to the river but would attend all his classes away from the rest of the team only to have to fight his way back to campus for practice, weight training, meals, etc. Forget, Matt, it would be any student with such a major, right? I knew of no one in my time at SLU that did that ... I thought housing was over "there" for those students as well.

I agree with 3-star below .... "yikes!" But it also might reflect highly on what kind of kid, player, student Matt really is. Hope he gets what he wants and I hope we can overcome.

Taj, Parks moved to the main Grand campus about 6 years ago. These days, Parks students are considered as much a part of the school as the business and medical students. Actaully, there is very little (if any) "segregation" between parks and non-parks kids. SLU has actaully been scheduling non-Parks classes in McDonnell Douglas Hall (the engineering building - immediatly next to the compton-olive garage) in order to try and mesh the two together. The ONLY reason he would ever have to go to cahokia is if he decided to get his pilot's license. Parks kids live in the same campus dorms as every other student.

>I looked up Park's engineering departments. Maybe I was too

>hasty.

>

>Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering

>Department of Aerospace Technology

>Department of Aviation Science

>Department of Biomedical Engineering

>Department of Computer Science

>Department of Electrical Engineering

>

>The only major disciplines missing are civil and chemical

>engineering. Falker is a civil engineering major.

You left out mechanical engineering and structural engineering ... two biggies in this field that we do not have.

I do not recall there being any sort of joint program. Some classes (credits) would transfer between the two schools. I never knew any students that went to Wash U for classes, but i do recall having some WU students in my Fluid dynamics class over a summer. The two schools do have a good relationship though being as both schools have equipment that the other can benefit from.