What to do with the last scholarship?

ACE

I'm definitely excited about what Brad's doing on the recruiting end.

Just speculating on the final scholarship. Do we sign a power forward? Who do you think it should go to? Shaw? Should we after the Juco player Polk to bring in more experience? Should we wait until the spring and see if something else opens up? Perhaps when Mizzou gets hit with probation, Grimes will want to join his fellow local standouts with the Billikens? Your thoughts please.

I was wondering the same thing about Grimes and Mizzou. I wonder if they'll be able to sign all or any of their verbals in the early signing period. In my opinion, unless you can get a fourth player that is a no brainer, SLU should wait until spring. Tommie will have a big senior year. Use that to create some excitement with other recruits that would like to play with him.

I also expect Polk to have a real big senior year. He is expected to be at 100% this season, and everyone appears to have forgotten how good he was before the injury. Plus, he was only 14 or 15 at the time.

Does anybody know if SLU would want Grimes (did we EVER recruit him)? If there are findings at mizzou (and i expect there will be), that could result in some very serious penalties. From everything i've heard about Grimes, he is a big time player and would therefore want a chance to win or even enter the NCAA tourney. I think there could be some defections from mizzou if penalties occur and I think SLU could be in an advantageous position to sign him...especially with signing three other locals.

Mizzou had no problem taking Ricky Frazier, Julian Winfield and Randy Pulley on the rebound. I'd take Grimes on the rebound. The kid would be smart to stay away from that cess pool in Columbia, and get on board the Coach Brad train.

Best player available, there are plently of talented players from the class of '04 still unaccounted for. A splendid position from which to sit--polk, meyer, liddell already in the fold and a scholarship yet to give. We are certain to get a solid player with this last slot.

personally, i am not sure what is attracting grimes to missouri other than the chance to be the next arthur johnson. they are about to go on probation. they already have a number of bigs lined up ahead of him in klieza and young. everyone believes grimes better aau teamate, tyler hansborough, will follow his dad's footsteps to mizzou and tyler WILL play ahead of grimes, so i have been baffled by grimes attraction to the tigers all along.

i have said all along i would rather have shaw, but i am beginning to wonder if polk or some other juco isnt the first choice.

a lot of decision making might happen the next few months after the staff sees how the new team plays. maybe they need to figure out if they need a power forward or do they really need another option at point guard. who knows.

I think the answer is rather simple. You nail down the 3 or 4 available power forwards you would like to land (e.g., Shaw, Polk, etc.), you make offers to each of them, and you give the scholarship to the first player who accepts. If none of the players accept by Thanksgiving, then you re-evaluate the situation over the winter and make a new set of offers in the spring.

Wouldn't you want the better player? I mean I think it is somewhat illogical to take the guy that signs the dotted line first. I would take the better player. And I also think SLU will get a lot more attractive after:

1) The Press Conference Tomorrow

2) The ACT Mailing to the Liddell Residence

So you should take the better player. I think the scenario changes a lot with Liddell. If Polk and Shaw were interested before, I bet they are more interested now.

Steve

what if brad has the same concerns that tseugnekillib has. not sure if we truly have the right group coming in to man the point. or what if he would like to see if frericks, ian and bryce are actually going to pan out at center? my point is that maybe power forward isnt even the answer. maybe he wants to wait till spring to see what he should be filling.

Dwayne Polk is a true point guard. Both Clarke and Drejaj played a lot of point guard in high school. The rumor is that Liddell will also play some point. I just can't see us bringing in another point guard.

We have three centers for the next two years and at least two centers for the next four. That is a lot of centers on one roster, and Brad has a lot more confidence in these guys than Roy. (No disrespect Roy, but I tend to trust Brad's first hand evaluation over your second or third hand evaluation.) I cannot see us signing another center unless a real, real good one falls into our lap.

Power forward is our weakest spot on our roster. It is may be our weakest overall position this season, and we are losing our starter after this year. IMO, we should focus on a power forward with the last schollie.

Steve, with a few exceptions, teams typically have several outstanding scholarship offers at any point in time. It is really the only way to effectively play the recruiting game these days. Otherwise, if you miss out on the player you really want, you end up with the leftovers. Didn't Romar miss out on the top 50 center and top 100 power forward from Cali and end up with Ross Varner?

no disrespect taken. and i hope our "centers" residence at slu is truly because brad is in love with them and they are truly worthwhile projects and players. not a matter that they were the best we could get. i would love to eat crow on this issue. and judging by brad's comments last week when i heard him speak, i have a feeling that within 4 years i will be dining crow on at least ian.