Brad is accountable!

Brad may have worked his butt off to sign Stemler, but the bottom line is he lost. Only Lance knows why, but ultimately Brad didn't seal the deal and should be held accountable. What does this mean? We had four scholarships to give this year and could only land two players, both of who were considered mid-major prospects. This sure doesn't look like a program on the upswing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with Nark. We lost. As I said earlier, you can't spin that at all. If you want the program to seriously improve, then we can no longer have the " well we were in his final three choices" situations. We have to get these guys. This holds especially true for guys from the area.

I agree in that Brad is accountable for the recruits he brings in. I will also not judge him until those recruits he does bring in have at least played some games for us. I think we got a real nice player in Knollmeyer, probably the best big man in the state of MO this year. I know Kowal signed with Colorado so some would call me a "major" type player, but I am not sure he is better than Knollmeyer from what I have read. By the way I haven't seen any of these kids play so everything I say is based off of what I have read.

As far as missing on Stemler, I agree Brad and his staff are accountable for not landing him. He was obviously a target for them and he is not coming here. We were recruiting against schools in larger conferences for him, Big 12, Big East and Big Ten, for that reason alone getting Stemler was probably more of an uphill battle. Brad doesn't control what conference we are in, he also doesn't really have control over our 1/2 filled building or that our practice facility is old and will only be replaced after the player is long gone. These 3 reasons alone were probably enough to push MU and IU in front of SLU for Stemler.

We are not going to get every player we target, that is the reality of where we are at. I think the development of players is probably more important than recruiting players for our program. If our team can get 2 to 3 more players to show a similar amount of improvement as IV did last year, we will forget about Stemler. If DB remains inconsistant and DP is not around 30% from 3pt and if LM again shows little to nothing offensively, then either other players better show up big or Brad will be feeling the heat.

>Brad may have worked his butt off to sign Stemler, but the

>bottom line is he lost. Only Lance knows why, but

>ultimately Brad didn't seal the deal and should be held

>accountable. What does this mean? We had four scholarships

>to give this year and could only land two players, both of

>who were considered mid-major prospects. This sure doesn't

>look like a program on the upswing.

Lance signed with Indiana. That's far from mid-major.

Of course we are not going to get every player we target. However, Brad has known for over a year that he had FOUR scholarships to offer this season. It is not reasonably to only sign two average prospects when he had over a year to recruit for four spots. If Stemler was such a focus and he had a plethora of scholarships, why didn't Brad offer him six months ago?

WHY IS FAILURE AND MEDIOCRITY SO ACCEPTED BY THIS FAN BASE?

The key is to take chances and be on recruits early. How many offers were made to this years potential class last spring?

Bradley was sucessful in landing its big man because they were on him before anyone else. If Brad keeps waiting until he is sure on a recruit the wins will be few and far between.

He is an excellent game coach but a poor recruiter. He needs to look at himself and his staff to make the appropriate changes.

He is accountable. His assistants are accountable. I agree he should be in SLU BLUE this year and not INDIANA RED. How do you lose a prospect? The answer is don't recruit him hard enough or work hard enough. I know for fact that LS wanted to go to SLU when there was 1st word of their interest in him, all it would have taken was the offer and that is straight from Lance's mouth. But the longer it took for them to make a choice to offer or not more people started to get involved and that is when SLU started to lose the battle. Indiana did not come in late, they just got the job late! Lance told Kevin Slaten today on the radio that the new assistant at Indiana Rob Senderoff was the 1st assistant to recruit him this year when he was at Kent State and when he got hired he had the right kid for the position Indiana needed. So once again SLU's indecision has cost them a player. So get ready, all of us season ticket holders should get ready to gear up for a fun season next year with a vision of a "National Championship" run. Make that a very long vision!!!

Bottom Line: Coach S. Dropped The Ball Again! Good Luck On Our Plan "B" I'm Sure It's A Winner!

First, I am hoping for more than just average recruits from Maguire and Knollmeyer. Maguire is a 6'5" shooter who had a very good senior season, I expect him to contribute this season. Knollmeyer should compete for playing time at the 4 spot this year also. While neither one might have the flash and rankings we all want to see, I think they are both solid pickups in spots where we have a need.

Brad plays with a short bench and has stated in the past that he doesn't mind holding open a scholarship in case a transfer player opens up. The Nelson player from Ball St could still end up with one of these scholarships or now that the semesters are ending other players might be getting their releases as well.

As far as the whole Stemler recruitment, this is how I see it. Stemler was pretty much off everyone's radar at the beginning of the season. He couldn't stay healthy or get playing time at Bradley last year, which was an under 500 team 13-15 and lost first round in MVC tourney. Before the season started I doubt if Stemler had any offers on the table. After SLU had Maguire signed, I don't think Brad was really looking for another shooter, his focus was instead on 4 type players. Stemler started scoring and getting noticed and SLU started looking along with a lot of other schools. A 6'8" shooter is something that will get attention especially since he didn't sign until May, a lot of schools still have open scholarships they are trying to fill now. Since Brad's focus is recruiting high school players and this year's high school class seemed at little weak, I am not surprised that he didn't have a fallback once he missed on Stemler.

Now I would like to see Brad go deeper on his bench and get some of those end of the bench players more minutes, but that is not his style. For this reason, I don't see much reason to bring in a player that we would never see off the bench and I see holding the holding of a scholarship as not that big of a deal. Clarke and JJ are probably the two best examples of kids we wish we could have seen extended minutes of so far but just haven't or never did. I don't see Brad as the perfect coach, but I think overall he has SLU headed in the right direction and deserves the time to build his program.

There is only so much Brad can do to convince Lance. Compare the two campuses, There is not much to the SLU campus and if you have ever been to Indiana's then you will see how great it is. Also the facilities, and the fact that SLU is not that great of a program until they start winning.

If you are going to judge BS for his recruits only after you see them play what do you think of his choices DP,LM,Husak,DB,VN,JJ?

As far as competing against the B10 and B12 as being the reason we lost LS I would say you can't have it both ways. You can't praise BS for the wins and not credit him for the loses. We have the same lousy facilities, same conference and same off-site game venue when we landed TL and KL. If you beleive what some on this board has said KL could have gone to Illinois and TL to UNLV. However, BS was still able to get them. Same negatives but different results.

You are right about one thing we are not going to get everyone we target but a JC All American in your backyard should have been yours for the taking (and he was).

Improvement has been lacking for a lot of players. Another key ingredient to an effective coaching staff. In the last two years our staff has had little or no effect on DP,DB or LM. Please do not point to IV as a developement success because for the last two summers he has gone back to Greece to play. If players can't make the improvement with our staffs expert advice then the staff chose the wrong recruit.