Stemler update

Indiana has now offered and Lance will visit there after his trip to St Louis.

From an article by Russ Blake dated today:

In between personal workouts and those in front of college coaches, he's fielded a ton of phone calls from admiring suitors. He's formed some definite opinions about the schools in hot pursuit.

"Marquette and Nebraska were the first two big schools to come after me and build a strong relationship," Stemler said. "I've spoken to Coach Crean and got to see the way they play on TV, and I think they see me fitting in there like Steve Novak did."

Stemler also cited a strong relationship with the coaching staff at St. Louis. If staying close to home becomes a top priority, then the Billikens could steal Stemler away from the plethora of high major programs now trying to sign him.

"Basically, I am looking for a place where I can fit in," Stemler said. "I am the type of player who needs to be in a structured system to excel."

"Above all," he concluded, "I just have to make sure it's the right fit

Structure....you want structure you came to the right place, Lance. You look up structure in Webster's you're gonna see a picture of UB. But am confused over MU and Neb being the "first to contact". Thought we were in on him from day 1? Up against IU as well? Jeez, it's never easy about being a Billiken fan is there? Take heart, he likes the coaching staff. I'm hoping this is Grunkmeyer since AB has left the building.

Indiana definitely qualifies as a "big school", but Marquette and Nebraska?

I hope we're not putting all our eggs in the Lance basket. We better be targeting others just in case. They way I see it, we still have two starting spots up for grabs next season.

I guess everybody has a different definition of "big programs." I'm certainly not suggesting we are, but I wouldn't label those programs as such either. Nebraska, Baylor, Oregon State, Washington State, Northwestern, Arizona State are all from "big conferences" but I would say they are inferior to a lot of programs from smaller conferences.

Unfortunately, perception is reality. MU gets to the final four and all of a sudden, it's big time. Couple that with the Big East and there you have it. Now, you look at SLU. Every single year, we are picked at the bottom of conference predictions. But every year (minus last) we do better than predicted. You'd think we could get some respect...but we don't. Hell, even look at the tourney this year. What happened to all those "big time" programs in "big time" conferences? They got beat by the little guys. But next year, we'll be back to the same ole same ole BCS crap. That's just the way it is.

>Unfortunately, perception is reality. MU gets to the final

>four and all of a sudden, it's big time. Couple that with

>the Big East and there you have it. Now, you look at SLU.

>Every single year, we are picked at the bottom of conference

>predictions. But every year (minus last) we do better than

>predicted. You'd think we could get some respect...but we

>don't. Hell, even look at the tourney this year. What

>happened to all those "big time" programs in "big time"

>conferences? They got beat by the little guys. But next

>year, we'll be back to the same ole same ole BCS crap.

>That's just the way it is.

Well, MU is in the top 25 every year for attendance; has a national title and 2 other final fours; is ranked in the top 15 all time by the AP and I think in the top 35 all time by Street & Smith; has the third highest basketball budget in the country according to Dept of Education records; pays its coach over $1.6 million per season; and plays in the best basketball conference in the country. If they are not big time, who is? The 5-10 superschools, like UCLA, NC and Duke? If so, "big time" is a very exclusive club.

>Can you give me some links? I have a hard time believing

>those things, but if you can prove it, I'll move on.

>

>BTW, SLU also has a national championship and permanantly

>top 50 in attendance.

>

>And yes, "big time" is a very exclusive club. That is what

>the definition of "big time" is.

Attendance

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/m_basketball/att...ball_attend.pdf

21st in 05, 12th in 04. Should be higher than 21st in 06 since attendance was up around 3000 per game, but final numbers aren't out yet.

Record (National Championship and Final Fours)

http://www.sportsstats.com/

Type in Marquette

Crean's salary:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?i...&date=3/14/2006

DOE numbers:

http://www.thewarrior.org/index.php?option...id=249&Itemid=1

and, if you don't trust this story since it comes from MU, try this:

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/Search.asp

Type in Marquette

Street and Smith

http://athensohio.net/sports/basketball/100-greatest/part2/

MU ranked 33rd alltime

AP:

My link is dead, but I can find it if you wish. I think MU was tied for 13th after last season.

By the way, MU is also 9th alltime in postseason appearances and 17th alltime in NCAA appearances.

Yes, "big time" is select company. But, if MU isn't a big time program, there are less than 10 in the country.

Not to pick a fight but I think you would have to agree that Marquette had a "dark time" from 1984 - 2002. Marquette lost its prestige status as an independent and bounced from league to league. Yes, they made the dance a few times in there but I don't think you would historically consider them a contender or a perennial top 25 team during that time.

I would agree that in the McGuire years and 2002/2003, Marquette sports have skyrocketed and show the signs of a "big time" program. Since 2002/03, a Final Four run, step up to the Big East. Kept Crean by increasing salary. Program on the rise.

>Not to pick a fight but I think you would have to agree that

>Marquette had a "dark time" from 1984 - 2002. Marquette

>lost its prestige status as an independent and bounced from

>league to league. Yes, they made the dance a few times in

>there but I don't think you would historically consider them

>a contender or a perennial top 25 team during that time.

>

>I would agree that in the McGuire years and 2002/2003,

>Marquette sports have skyrocketed and show the signs of a

>"big time" program. Since 2002/03, a Final Four run, step up

>to the Big East. Kept Crean by increasing salary. Program

>on the rise.

MU was down in the late 80's and early 90's, no doubt. I don't dispute that. Actually, the purpose of my post was merely to point out that at present, MU has to be considered a big time program because of its past and present accomplishments. Could they slide down to mid-major status? You bet. See Loyola for a prime example. However, MU has a very strong present to go with a strong history. Not many programs (say 30 or 40) can match MU at this time. Not saying it will last forever. Not making any comments on SLU, its present, past or future, either.

Thanks for the links. It's rare on this board that somebody actually backs up what they say with some evidence. There's more heresay and pure BS thrown around on this board that a political rally.

As far as MU being "big time", I still have my reservations. I just don't put them in the same class as others on the lists. But, i guess that just proves my original point...perception is reality.

Between 1983 to 2001/02, Marquette made four NCAA tournaments (SLU made 3)and didn't really make a splash and weren't considered a "big time program" during this time.

My only point was there was a down time for about 15 to 20 years and things have really looked bright for the program since the Final Four run. Time will tell whether this is a blip on the radar or the reemergence of an old power consistently on the national scene. I think this is going to depend on whether Crean (1) stays at Marquette and (2) can continue to bring in talent to keep them on top.

I like Marquette and hope they do well.

Box: As you said, it is my hope SLU can do this well eventually.

>Thanks for the links. It's rare on this board that somebody

>actually backs up what they say with some evidence. There's

>more heresay and pure BS thrown around on this board that a

>political rally.

You're one to talk Hillbilly. You still have not proven that you're not married to your sister.

three marquette fans in one string so worried about how we view marquette that they apparently monitor our board on a regular basis and feel the need to tell us how superior they are. they obviously feel threatened.

thanks marquette fans.

>three marquette fans in one string so worried about how we

>view marquette that they apparently monitor our board on a

>regular basis and feel the need to tell us how superior they

>are. they obviously feel threatened.

>

>thanks marquette fans.

Ahh Roy...you are finding actual Marquette fans to fight with...good step up for you. The first guy simply posted an updated recruiting article on Marquette. Then after people posted anti-Marquette sentiments, the follow ups were nothing more than providing facts and links etc...to the discussion.

Somehow it all gets lumped in that they are arrogant high and mighty etc.....when in actuality it is YOU who has some sort of strange infatuation with that school. People post all the time on every other school without incident. And no Marquette isn't alone in your anti-sentiments.....these guys were/are obviously Marquette fans, but they didn't come to flame the board.

Whether it is Mizzou, Marquette etc...a lack of objectivity clouds thoughts. And that's too bad.