IV recruitment

VTIME

Everyone keeps bringing him up like Brad is some overseas guru or something. Even Brad thought he was a bust and didn't give him a chance until he had to. Brad held him back and Ian proved him and everyone else wrong. It's not like Brad was saving him for later or something. If Frericks hadnt got hurt he would've languished on the bench and we'd be talking about him in the same terms we address JJ. Counting IV, in 5 recruiting classes Brad has landed 5 area players, and one above average non-area player in Ian. Nothing to get excited about. If he salvages this recruiting class and gets commits from Powell and Harrellson in the fall, I'll be as George Bush when somebody uses a big word.

You obviously didn't see Tom and Ian the year before Tom was injued. Ian wasn't in terrific shape and Tom Frericks was a beast. I don't know what JJ's problem is but you are barking up the wrong tree here. Even the great and all knowing vtime would've given limited time to IV over Frericks at that time.....

Brad has been high on Ian from day one. When Ian first arrived, Brad said that he had the potential to be the best Billiken center ever, and he's repeated that several times publicly since then. Watching Ian during his first two years, it was clear that he had skill, but wasn't quite ready for prime time. Frerick's injury helped speed up Ian's maturing process, but it was clear that he could emerge as a major player at some point regardless. Brad didn't hold him back.

We had a senior center coming of a great junior season. He was the best offensive threat we had at the 5 spot in awhile and Ian was only a sophmore. I like how you make assumptions based on absolutely nothing. When Ian was signed, Brad said something to the effect of "Ian will be the best center in SLU history". Yeah, sure sounds like Brad can't evaluate talent.

Amazing, we love to point out "busts" or "missed opps" for coach but when we have a dominant big man and two of the most talented guards in our program's history, he gets nothing...double standard?

Question, I would love to see where everyone would rank Sodaberg amongst his prior coaches at SLU as far as evaluating talent and signings. I can guarantee where the metz and floyd irons junior will place him.

brad never ever said he was a bust. all we ever heard from brad from day one was that ian would be the greatest big man that slu ever had. if you are referring to the fact that brad didnt feature him from day one, it appears brad isnt real keen on playing the youngsters. look at how long into 05-06 season before he brought out the kids. so the lesser playing time the first two seasons means nothing.

Well, the lesser playing time in the first 2 years probably means nothing vis-a-vis UB's thoughts about a particular player's ability. I would argue (and not to say roy was arguing the opposite) that playing time in the first 2 years does mean quite a bit in terms of player development.

But then we'd have fans complaining about why the team didnt win more during the "developmental" time for Ian.

Again, playing time for Ian early was determined by the fact that we had Tom Frericks who was a heck of a big man and far more developed and polished as a player who had 2 years under his belt at the college level that Ian was as a 18 and 19 year old kid.

C'mon playing time for Ian.

First Ian missed a dozen games. Then he was out of game shape, way out of game shape. Frericks was a solid post player when healthy, Until he got seriously hurt Voyoukas was not able to get much time because he was out of shape, and foul prone. He got in shape and played without fouling every two seconds this year which led to his success.

My comment was directed at Roy's statement that "the lesser playing time the first two seasons means nothing".

All i wanted to point out was that playing time does mean something. I understand what the situation was with IV. In fact, I remember watching him play and thinking that he didn't belong on a D-I court. Obviously, that viewpoint has since changed.

when ian was a freshman, brad predicted that he would be the best center slu has had by the time his career has ended. If you remember, Ian also beat tom out as the starting center on opening day last year. tom got the message and battled back, but he got hurt.

tom wasn't close to ian's ability on offense, but he was a strong rebounder with a lot of toughness. Ian was nearly 300 pounds his freshman year because he had to sit out all of those games.

he would have played a ton of minutes last year even if tom didn't get hurt because he was better and he lost some of that weight. those 20-25 minutes turned into 35 minutes when tom left for good.

that set him up for this year. he was in much better shape. It's called development and maturity. anyone with a brain could see three years ago that ian would be a standout if he got in top shape. them charlotte game and the memphis game in the c-usa tournament showed us those flashes as a freshman.

so, ian is right on schedule. his senior year, he should be ready to have his best season as a college player and reach his full potential.

bad boyz for life

>

>

>But then we'd have fans complaining about why the team didnt

> win more during the "developmental" time for Ian.

>

>Again, playing time for Ian early was determined by the fact

>that we had Tom Frericks who was a heck of a big man and far

>more developed and polished as a player who had 2 years

>under his belt at the college level that Ian was as a 18 and

>19 year old kid.

Frericks being a heck of a big man shows how dillusional this board really is. He is a football player who could do little more than lay the ball up if you let him run over you inside. No moves, no speed. He wouldn't have started for SIUC or Missouri State then or now. Come to think of it. SIUC has consistently had better bigs than us which is really sad. Over the last 5 years Jermaine Dearman, Roland Roberts, Matt Shaw, Randal Falker, and even undersized Lamar Owen kill Braun, Brown, Frericks, Voyoukas, Ohanon. You're teling me we SIUC can get a Roland Roberts, but we cant. Why can't we get an athletic big man like that who can play. He even got invited to the college dunk contest and represented well jumping from outside the paint over a loveseat. Jermaine Dearman, an athlete with a ton a jumping ability and a jumper. He produced. I cant blame Soderberg for those guys. Romar missed out too. Why does SLU remain downtrotten? Other programs have up and down periods. We may be up for a year, but never a sustained run

>>

>>

>>But then we'd have fans complaining about why the team didnt

>> win more during the "developmental" time for Ian.

>>

>>Again, playing time for Ian early was determined by the fact

>>that we had Tom Frericks who was a heck of a big man and far

>>more developed and polished as a player who had 2 years

>>under his belt at the college level that Ian was as a 18 and

>>19 year old kid.

>

>Frericks being a heck of a big man shows how dillusional

>this board really is. He is a football player who could do

>little more than lay the ball up if you let him run over you

>inside. No moves, no speed. He wouldn't have started for

>SIUC or Missouri State then or now. Come to think of it.

>SIUC has consistently had better bigs than us which is

>really sad. Over the last 5 years Jermaine Dearman, Roland

>Roberts, Matt Shaw, Randal Falker, and even undersized Lamar

>Owen kill Braun, Brown, Frericks, Voyoukas, Ohanon. You're

>teling me we SIUC can get a Roland Roberts, but we cant.

>Why can't we get an athletic big man like that who can play.

> He even got invited to the college dunk contest and

>represented well jumping from outside the paint over a

>loveseat. Jermaine Dearman, an athlete with a ton a jumping

>ability and a jumper. He produced. I cant blame Soderberg

>for those guys. Romar missed out too. Why does SLU remain

>downtrotten? Other programs have up and down periods. We

>may be up for a year, but never a sustained run

VTime, I agreee with you Roy has always over-rated Frericks, but he's also under-rated Ian. I thought even Ian as a sophomore was as effective as Frericks.

Where you are completely wrong is telling us that the likes of Matt Shaw and Falker have killed Voyoukas. How soon you forget. Voyoukas absolutely abused Falker and co. this year. There's no denying Shaw would've been a good 4 for this team, but SIU has nobody who can play with Ian. Maybe if Ian went to high school at Ritenour or McCluer you would think differently.