Stemler?FrankC radio??

TEE

i had heard that about 10 days ago. at that time, it was my understanding from mutual acquaintances, that stemler was ready to commit to marquette. crean did a fantastic job of selling stepping in behind novak, he would take stemler sight unseen, playing in the high profile big east, blah blah blah. then crean was all at once flying in to see stemler play between big east tourney game and the ncaa tourney. couple that with an apparent effective negative spin on the billikens and coach soderberg, pointing out the lesser conference, lesser recent success by the billikens, likely seeing more time at pf, and the fact that the billikens took their time offering a scholarship when he was ready to take him sight unseen and now was even more enthused after seeing in person.

then, ball state's coach was fired. ball state's sf announces an upcoming transfer to marquette. and last, apparently the area that stemler apparently wants to major in isnt available at marquette and thus he would have to switch majors and take more classes in the summer to be eligible. whereas slu apparently has whatever the major is and he only needs one class.

result, i heard over the weekend that nothing is locked up now, stemler supposedly was visiting today unofficially at slu and who knows. we might be in the running again. if it was a definite he wasnt coming to slu, then why would he even waste time on an unofficial visit today?

i think stemler becoming a billiken is nowhere near a done deal. in fact i would doubt we are the top choice even if marquette is now out, however, i think the fact he is apparently on campus today is extremely encouraging and gives us hope.

If your story is correct, Brad has been given a 2nd chance here and needs to take advantage of it. I don't particularly care why a player chooses SLU (depsite the constant condescending will get from the B-Laws and Courtsides of the world) I just care that he'd be wearing blue and white. Get it done.

I listened to Frank this morning and he said he thought SLU was still the frontrunner along with Marquette. He said he called Stemler who said he was visiting four schools before making a decision, but SLU was in the top two right now. The schools he is looking at are SLU, Marquette, Hawaii, Nebraska and George Washington was making a late push. I think he might have mentioned another school, but I can't remember. Either way, he said Stemler was very much interested in SLU and believed his girlfriend being from around here could play a huge role in Stemler coming to SLU. But nothing is certain at this point.

>If your story is correct, Brad has been given a 2nd chance

>here and needs to take advantage of it. I don't

>particularly care why a player chooses SLU (depsite the

>constant condescending will get from the B-Laws and

>Courtsides of the world) I just care that he'd be wearing

>blue and white. Get it done.

LOL...You have got to be kidding me. Do you even read this board? Unsolicited flame with zero knowledge, becoming sadly all too common here.

Objectivity and accountability come with interest, support(since Luther Burden kid) and encouragement. etc....

I just named the two Marquette fans that post often on this board. Sorry you took so much offense to it.

I will add though that if Stemmler does come here and he does do well and someone is on this board talking about how well Brad did in recruiting him I'll be very surprised if you or B-Law don't chime in that Crean "let SLU have him."

Not exactly sure where you are coming from....maybe you are having a bad day....maybe you are new to the board....that is fine. No offense to B-Law, but I am not him.

I am objective when it comes to SLU or any other team. This isn't a "rooting" board for me. I do that at games and in front of tv. Occasionally my rooting for SLU does come out in posts. But I try to keep everything objective. For example, I also grew up going to games at Mizzou and rooting for Mizzou as well....but you'd be hard pressed to find many folks on this board who affiliate me with the Tigers or hate because of that. Because I am objective with SLU or anyone else.

I do try to also lend a profile and support to SLU soccer and other things SLU because I think it can only add value and publicity for those folks when obviously as it should be most of the topics are on SLU hoops. I come to this board to learn information(it actaually happens once in a while)....get a feel for a very small portion of SLU hoops community, for entertainment, and to provide an info I can due to who and what I know based on life expereinces in professional and collegiate athletics. ...and specifically at SLU.

If you have a personal problem with me that I don't know about, I'd be happy to take it to another forum, pm, e-mail, or wherever to not waste the time of others on this board.

We get enough trolls.

Yeah, I'm new to the board.

Are you or are you not a Marquette fan?

All I was saying is Marquette fans (I clearly made a huge mistake in naming two fans as you are taking quite a bit of offense to it) will give us crap that the only way we are able to get a recruit is because they don't want/have room for him.

And for what its worth I'm having a great day and am about to head down to the new ballpark. Enjoy.

As I have said before I post what I know....and say when I don't. I do not know if Stemler will attend SLU. I asked Roy his experiences on the topic due to what he has posted. And also....asked others in the industry that I know.

My understanding is that SLU and Marquette are only a couple of people in the mix. I am aware that Ball State's point guard is transferring to Marquette and that presumably leaves Marquette with one scholarship left for next year. My guess would be that it goes to a "big" for them and not Stemler, but that is merely an eductaed guess, that by no means may end up happening. It really wouldn't surprise me either way.

Al recruits are important to teams. Obviously for whatever reasons, Crean didn't want to pass up on Acker who came up unexpectedly. ....their direction will either be a power forward, or shooter.....will Crean take which one commits first? does he have preference of one need over another...is Stemler a top choice or fall back...only Tom Crean knows that right now. I do know some people in this business at the collegiate level and pro level based on my own life expereince. so, when I have any info I post it, and that is how I post. So the above is what I know on this particluar subject...which isn't as much as maybe some other ones that might be brought up, or more than another. etc... Depends on what it is.......

If I obtain any further information before anyone else...which I don't anticipate but could hapen, I'll post it....just as I would be interested in the same from soneone else.

There are enough trolls, rose-colored glassses folks, haters....negative people out there....on this board. I'll discuss any topic or team objectively as it pertains to this board or SLU. If you don't like it, you can always ignore posts, or threads etc....

If you are asking me if I attended SLU,...have degree form SLU etc...answer is yes....(and other places advanced degress)....I have been fortunate in life to have lived many many places after attending SLU and having had grown up in St. Louis. My personal and professional life....college and pro sports included have taken me to many places and people.

I am not better or worse than anyone else on here..and prefer to just be like anyone else on here.

Apparently because I don't rip on Marquette I am a big fan according to your logic. or that I don't hold some sort of conference or jesuit grudge or something. SLU and Marquette are both great schools with similar academics etc....Boston College and Georgetown are also great schools too, and I would be happy to discuss them if only more people would bring them up. In fact for overall experience they would rate higher to me than the first two mentioned...doesn't mean there aren't a lot of great people at SLU and Marquette, and that those great people wouldn't do well at those other places etc....

Do I root for SLU any less or think SLU any less no. Do I think SLU has a lot of wonderful things, sure, and also areas of improvement....and depending on the goal, or comparison, some areas more than others.

I usually try not to cheerlead on this board. I don't find it my purpose or role here. I don't think any less of the people who do it however. Sometimes I get caught up on it but try not too...now at games etc...that is a different story. This is a message board.

You isolate Marquette because they get mentioned more than the other examples of above...and naturally so. I think it is more of me not having a problem with them, and you having one with them....so maybe you should take it up with B-Law, or perhaps some administrative folks at Marquette. I know a few, just as I do at SLU and a LOT of other places.

Have a better day.

courtside, if you are not a marquette fan first, then you need to rethink your posts, because your posts scream you are.

i love the vast majority of your posts, but i dread seeing you and marquette law's constant "marquette is better" verbage that hits us at EVERY opportunity.

kshoe, I'm not sure what you meant by SLU being given a 2nd chance. Perhaps I missed a news story.

Marquette, Hawaii and GWU are relatively newcomers to Stemeler's recruiting parade.

Crean made two late season visits to Belleville, and Riley Wallace made his first visit on March 27. I have never seen a George Washington assistant in Belleville all year, but perhaps he was among the coaches at Hutch. Nebraska's assistant, Doug Novsek, made several visits to SWIC games and he was at Hutch as well.

SLU made a late offer after the three assistant coaches and the head coach caught various practices and games.

Considering that Stemler was not recruited out of high school, red-shirted his first juco year due to a wrist injury, didn't get much done at Bradley his freshman year due to another injury and minimal playing time.....after having seen him play 14 games.... I not sure why anyone would expect SLU to have made an early offer.

SIU-C(Rodney Watson and Chris Lowery) caught several of Stemler's games in Belleville, as did Purdue(Paul Lusk and Matt Painter). I'm somewhat surprised these two schools aren't being mentioned.....but, perhaps they are yet to offer Stemler.

then this is what I meant "stemler was ready to commit to marquette." The fact he hasn't is the 2nd chance I was reffering too.

I realize Roy posting it doesn't necessarily make it true but if you are waiting for a news story regarding recruiting from one of our local papers you'll basically be waiting till a LOI is signed.

tseugnekillib,

I think I understand what you trying to say with the other coaching references but what other coaches are doing should have no impact on what Soderberg should do. All programs have different needs and ours is lack of outside shooting. For this reason alone we should not have made a late offer. What is so confusing is that here we wait, wait, wait on offering Stemler and then we offer MQ early when he had no other D1 offers. Just does not make sense.

Also I would hope Soderberg would have enough confidence in his ability to identify a talent for his system and not be influenced by what other coaches are either thinking or doing.

Rick Pitino had a great quote about Billy Donovon and his Championship team. Rick claimed it wasn't so much his coaching but his ability to recognize Talent that other coaches couldn't as a major reason why Florida won the National Title.

Right on with that comment, as I have heard several talking heads say that Joakim Noah was not highly recruited out of HS, and he had a hard time getting PT as a Frosh...he did not turn out to bad for the Gators now did he?

which i said when i first told my "he's likely going to marquette" rumor, my information is 3rd hand. so take that for what it is worth. but hell we dont get any tidbits from anywhere else. we gotta have something to chew on.

i assume hardball "MQ" is dustin maguire? i dont know who else that might be.

but think of this:

if both (maguire and stemler)are defensively "challenged".

both are not going to become the next dennis rodman rebounding wise.

both are outstanding outside shooters.

maguire has 2 additional (maybe 3 if he redshirts) seasons to grow into a billiken than stemler.

stemler is likely at most 2 inches taller.

are we basically looking at somewhat the same player, with stemler giving us more maturity and experience?

if so, why buy two?

not saying i agree with that thinking, or if i like one or the other better, but it would give reason to thinking it over. there is no way they should see the floor at the same time imo.

plus, again, remember in november, coach soderberg was still in the frame of mind he was set for the next 3-4 years at the wings. so he was thinking power forward only. only after polk and brown proved they werent stepping up did that get rethought.

plus, as tseugnekillib states, while stemler can have his feelings hurt because we didnt offer originally, the fact is, we were there long before marquette, hawaii, or nebraska were even talking to lance and we still offered before all of them did.