Besides DM and LS, who have we offered?

VTIME

I disagree ... you're a Polk fan because you're a Vashon fan and have "matriculated" to us because of Polk. I think you're a basketball fan and probably quite familiar with the St. Louis metro area and its players, at least those youmight read about in the morning paper. But you throw inane items out like offering walk-ons and signing every Tom-Dick-&-Harry that has at least one good game irregardless of items like roster composition, scholarship limits, major areas of study, qualified applicants, real majors and so on. You are pretty much so desperate to fit in and be accepted it shines through about everything you say.

When you start to make progress and intelligent posts, you fall back to inanity and obtuse statements.

You claim to be a fan but post about games with items Ramsey says on the radio. A real fan is at games ... at least the home ones. No, I take that back. That might be an athletic supporter. A real fan not only goes to games, but even goes to away games and conference tournaments. You, sir, do neither so a fan you are not. Fan is short for fanatic. Posting even a million times on an internet board is not fanatical ... it just shows you have more time on your hands then you know what to do with.

Now that I've insulted you ... go back and reread this slowly ... interjecting no malice. I write this as a matter-of-fact, with no emotion at all.

>I disagree ... you're a Polk fan because you're a Vashon fan

>and have "matriculated" to us because of Polk. I think

>you're a basketball fan and probably quite familiar with the

>St. Louis metro area and its players, at least those

>youmight read about in the morning paper. But you throw

>inane items out like offering walk-ons and signing every

>Tom-Dick-&-Harry that has at least one good game

>irregardless of items like roster composition, scholarship

>limits, major areas of study, qualified applicants, real

>majors and so on. You are pretty much so desperate to fit

>in and be accepted it shines through about everything you

>say.

>

>When you start to make progress and intelligent posts, you

>fall back to inanity and obtuse statements.

>

>You claim to be a fan but post about games with items Ramsey

>says on the radio. A real fan is at games ... at least the

>home ones. No, I take that back. That might be an athletic

>supporter. A real fan not only goes to games, but even goes

>to away games and conference tournaments. You, sir, do

>neither so a fan you are not. Fan is short for fanatic.

>Posting even a million times on an internet board is not

>fanatical ... it just shows you have more time on your hands

>then you know what to do with.

>

>Now that I've insulted you ... go back and reread this

>slowly ... interjecting no malice. I write this as a

>matter-of-fact, with no emotion at all.

I'm sorry that I'm poor and cant follow the bills out of town on road trips. I'm sorry that I'm a full-time college student with a full-time job, and extracurricular activities. I'm sorry I rely on academic and athletic scholarships, as well as financial aid to feed myself. I'm sorry that I'm young and I became a fan of the bills during the Virgil Cobbin era. I'm sorry that my only remaining parent has suffered with recurring staph infections. I'm sorry that I can't be the fan you want me to be.

Now I might disagree with many of your points, but the arrogance and condescending attitude from some of the posters are disappointing. I have no doubt you're a passionate area basketball fan and I hope you continue on in sports reporting. We need new, fresh perspectives.

A real fan is at games ... at least the

This is so far off. Are you saying that Bills fans can only be located in St Louis? How about those in California? Montana? It is a bit impractical for most students/recent grads to make the god awful trips to 90% of our road games. Thanks to our brilliant switch to the A10, there are only 2 schools within a driving distance from SLU. There are 99.9 million reasons why people can't go to games. How many home games did you go to? It's probably not a good idea to start throwing out credentials for being a "real" fan. You weren't just insulting VashonTIME, but many others on this board. But hey, if you want to float me a loan for 400$ for airfare to Philly or Rhode Island, I'll be happy to go to road games.

Tulsa' Lowrey after this one, too; 230 lbs and a high school career in Minneapolis, if we get him from the Council Bluffs, Iowa Juco lets hope he is better than Darren Clarke and not just another disconnected soul at 6' 8". Anyone no if he is a banger who can rebound?

I have not seen Iowa Western and Walls play as yet. However, Iowa Western won their juco D1 state title (Region 11) and plays at Vincennes College (Ind.) this coming Tuesday for the right to play in the annual Juco National Tournament March 21-25 in Hutchinson, Kansas. (Hopefully both Walls and Stemler will get to Hutch.)

Through 27 games, Walls has scored 435 points and has grabbed 189 rebounds.....made 168 of 311 field goals.....and 93 of 138 free throws.

>say.

>

>

>

Dumbass post!!!

>say.

>

>

>

There is no excuse for attacking vtime personally. What's all this "you are not a fan" garbage? Who of us has the right to judge others? It's ridiculous and mean-spirited on many levels. Vtime isn't a troll so I think the venom is misplaced. If you don't like what he writes, don't read it.

I refuse to interject any personal issues on internet boards but the definition of a 'Fan' is really way off base and you should reconsider and re-read what you posted as your definition of a 'fan'. Money doesn't come into play for being a fan, just because you have the cash or time off to go to homes game and road games don’t make you a better 'Fan'.

>say.

>

>

>

From Bernie Miklasz. He supports my criticism.

It's all about coach Brad Sodeberg. He's a wonderful guy, honest and humble and hard working. He's the kind of coach that even grouchy media types pull for. But because he's so likable, does it mean that Soderberg should get a free pass from scrutiny and criticism?

All coaches are judged on the bottom line. And four seasons into the job, Soderberg is 60-61 as SLU's coach. Programs that set high standards and are serious about winning would be getting anxious for better results. I'm not advocating a coaching change; as I've already stated in the column Soderberg gets props for recruiting Lisch and Liddell and for guiding the Billikens to an improved record this season.

But is it fair to demand more from Soderberg and SLU next season?

Yes.

Absolutely.

Some St. Louis U. fans like to have it both ways. They want to see SLU cast as a big-time basketball program, but when columnists or pundits point out SLU's shortcomings, SLU's fans whine as if we're picking on an eighth grade CYC team. Too many SLU fans act as if theirs is the only university that doesn't cheat or stress academics. Please stop it. That's a lie, and a cheap cop-out. A lot of programs win consistently while staying within ethical boundaries.

Other than the calamity of unforeseen injuries, there's no reason SLU should be on the outside of the NCAA Tournament in 2006-2007, looking to scrounge up an NIT bid. The opening is there. The A-10 isn't a strong conference. And I still wonder if SLU is a fit with the Atlantic 10; SLU administration and fans should be alarmed by a recent Washington Post story that disclosed how regular-season champion George Washington uses two players who got into GW with highly questionable and suspicious academic backgrounds. So much for SLU becoming partners with like- minded, high-minded institutions.

What a joke. But SLU picked the A-10 over the Missouri Valley Conference, and will have to live with the bad officiating, the comical haughtiness from the A-10 office, and the apparent gap in academic standards.

It's up to Soderberg to take advantage of his special Liddell-Lisch combination. Liddell and Lisch should be around for three more seasons, and it would be a travesty for SLU to fail to maximize the opportunity to build around them. So far for next season Soderberg has enlisted only one recruit, wing shooter Dustin Maguire from Edwardsville High School. If Maguire can hit open 3s, he'll fill a need. But SLU needs more than that.

There's a glaring weakness on the front line. Soderberg must find an athletic power forward who can bang for rebounds, make in-close baskets and put the defensive clamps on other forwards.

Southern Illinois has such a player in forward Randal Falker, a sophomore from Gateway Tech in St. Louis. SIU coach Chris Lowery has successfully recruited this area for Falker, Jamal Tatum and Matt Shaw. Before that, he recruited another St. Louisan, guard Darren Brooks, who was a two-time MVC Player of the Year.

Soderberg probably could have had Falker, Shaw and Tatum had he identified their potential and gotten on them early, as Lowery did. My point is this: any college coach in America can see that Liddell and Lisch are terrific players. But to build around them, you have to find the hidden gems who aren't so obvious. Lowery consistently does that. And Soderberg, to this point, hasn't developed that keen recruiting eye. If SLU had Falker and Shaw right now, they'd probably be preparing for the NCAA Tournament. And those two players played high school ball within an easy drive from the SLU campus.

Again, this has been a fine, upwardly-mobile season for SLU. We're excited about the future. But Liddell and Lisch - and next season, Vouyoukas - will be wasted unless Soderberg does a more astute job of recruiting supplemental talent from this area.

And if Soderberg doesn't deliver, then he should be treated as any other coach. Nice guys get fired, too.

... but I'll give him credit for being one hell of a manipulator. And extra props for getting all to miss the gist of my post, man, that's good. This guy comes onto the board in May 2005 and while I understand he may not have had a computer or didn't know where to find us, he's been around since Virgil Cobbin times. That was 1996 through 1999. If he's a traditional college student and he's a junior or senior, that's what ???? 21 or 22. In 2006. Meaning he's been around since he was 11 or 12? Give me a break.

He cries about not being able to attend away games. Reread my post ... I never said he had to attend away games. I said "A real fan is at games ... at least the home ones." Sure, a real fan would also get to some away games and conference tournaments but that was not the focus. The focus was on HOME games. If you think Ramsey only does away games, you're wrong. The comment I referred to is during one HOME game, Vee was talking about how Ramsey described a play. A HOME game. Not an away game. He doesn't even go to HOME games. I had season tickets when I could afford them when I lived in St. Louis and when I didn't have season tickets, I was still at almost all HOME games. This is a guy who doesn't come to HOME games. Not even one. Fan my arse. He focused all you guys on my comment about a fan going to some away games and conference tournaments to the point you missed the fact that I was talking about HOME games. That's an A+ in the manipulaiton department, Vee. A very nice job if I say so myself.

He then moved all you guys into finances. I didn't raise the finance issue. Poor is poor. Hey, we are all poor at some point. Isn't college student the definition of poor? But having been in the education business, I think feeding oneself with federal or state financial aid and scholarship monies by the letter of the law is a misappropriation of funds, is it not? Fraud, waste and abuse seem to enter into the equation here. Of course, maybe you're really at Barton and not Harris-Stowe which would make all things financial aid wise legal, right? But let's ignore the reality of the issue and focus on the statement itself. Again, A+ in rhetoical persuasion, Vee.

And to top it off with a pity play ..... one sickly remaining parent? Like the guys say on the Guiness commercial "Brilliant!" You've managed to take the "single parent" issue to "single parent-remaining child." Quick, patent that phrase. The money will soon start flowing and all the situations you described will be resolved.

So you can't go to games, but you're a 10-year fan. You can't go to games, but can tell the world why Soderberg can't coach. You can't go to games, but you know the very cure for every ill in the program. How are you affording all these high school games so you see every great Tom, Dick & Harry play locally and then call them deserving of a scholarship? Or are you scanning a discarded newspaper sports section and making the call from there? And when called into question on it, you ignore the fan issue and bring money, socioeconomic status and health issues of a parent into your defense.

The only thing missing is the race card. Must be a trump you're holding for later, maybe?

I have paused over the "post message" button for some time now. I dont' care if I get bashed. I even hope this post is more idiotic than my last idiotic post.

Feel free to use the terms "us," "we," and "our team." Its great weight loss as I continue to laugh my considerable arse off when you do it.

>Now I might disagree with many of your points, but the

>arrogance and condescending attitude from some of the

>posters are disappointing. I have no doubt you're a

>passionate area basketball fan and I hope you continue on in

>sports reporting. We need new, fresh perspectives.

Wow! An endorsement from AJ. This is the same guy who said Mizzou would win 20 games this year. He really knows his basketball.

Ignore this guy, Vtime.

He's obviously got a personal vendetta against you because of your opinions (which many others on the board seem to share and be able to voice without getting attacked). I disagee with you sometimes, particularly on the topic of how much longer Soderburg should get, but comments like these are way out of line. Taking personal shots at you like this can't be justified. Only a complete ass would insult you and then belittle you because of personal issues going on in your life.

I've been a lurker on this site for quite a long time, coming here daily for news and recruiting updates. I don't particularly care to post on these boards but, I felt inclined to post here to give you some support.

Just for the record, I enjoy the info Vtime gives about what is going on with the local highschool scene. Even if people get annoyed with his posts about recruits its not a punishable offense for God's sake. I'm pretty sure he realizes we cannot offer every kid he posts about a scholarship. Personally, I think its interesting to know who may play at the next level whether it be SLU, some other D1 school, JUCO, UMSL or wherever.

-Jim

I like the info also ... until he starts insisting SLU should give every kid who has a good game a scholarship ... then starts dogging the coach and the program because they haven't.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Its not so much that I'm dogging the program, I'm just frustrated that I feel like we let so many games get away this year. The poor shooting and lack of rebounding power forward killed us. Those are voids that Falker and Ahearn could've filled. It's been well documented that Falker wanted to major in engineering, I just think he could've sold the program to Falker, because I think he would've went to a SEC or ACC if they had offered no matter what degrees they offered.

All that's in the past. It's also not very entertaining basketball to watch, which really irks me, but if he can salvage this recruiting class this spring with Stemler or a rebounding power forward and manage not to waste on of our best trios ever in Lisch, Liddell, and Voyoukas next year, than he'll have my unwavering support.

Vtime ... First off, I think you are a fan. I just think you get carried away. You can say he should have gotten Falker, but you don't know the facts. You have no idea if he would have went to an ACC school because obviously they weren't offering. Kids choose different schools for different reasons and we are not an ACC school. As to Ahearn ... I agree, not getting him was a bad call on UB's part, but hindsight is 20-20. At the time, I would have taken Clarke over Ahearn also ... and I would bet had you been around at the time you would have also. Clarke didn't pan out and Ahearn has turned out to be a very good player. Yes we need shooters, but if DB, DP or LM could shoot consistently we wouldn't be in this bind ... also regardless of the rest of his skills TL needs to improve his shooting. Something tells me he will work on it. I hope DB, DP and LM do the same. DP was suppossed to have his mechanics reworked last summer ... maybe that was the problem ... not enough reps shooting the new way. Your muscles have to be trained to do it instintively. He was shooting well in the preaseason and in practices, but seemed to get in a little slump early in the season, lose confidence and never get out of it. If he shoots less than 500 jump shots a day this off season I will be disapointed in him and won't care much about his playing time. We need DP. The same can be said for DB and for Luke. The players have to want to get better. UB needs to recruit better shooters and a PF or 2.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman