Players Posting on Message Board

SluSignGuy

GW's Mike Hall apparently has posted on GW's Message Board: gwhoops.com.

http://www.gwhoops.com/default.asp?messID=14954

I don't know if it is the real Mike Hall or not, but I do know with some certainity that SLU players do read this board. I have no idea if any of them post, but I have heard rumors of some posting in the past. Just thought it would be an interesting topic of conversation. Former players, like Frericks, posted for a bit, but seemed to have stopped. I know families of players read the board (more than just the Bryants and brehms), and it is fun to get their insights into things. If you were a college D1 athlete, do you think you could resist reading all about yourself on the internet?

BTW, if you are a SLU player reading this board. DON'T...I admit I would if I were you (it would be too hard to pass up the temptation I think), but you guys gain nothing by reading our junk. You guys are in the know, we aren't. What do you have to learn from us?

Discuss.

>I'd agree with them not looking, for their own good. I'd

>hate to wake up one day and find out that Billiphan is

>really Anthony Drejaj.

LOL, i really got a kick out of that for some reason.

I don't think I'd be able to stay away if I was on the team. It would definitely be tough not to see what the biggest fans have to say. That being said, i hope none of them are reading this board. We can be a pretty tough bunch sometimes. However, I love it when family or former players post. The perspective is always interesting and unique.

I say that if current players are reading the board, they will most definitely read this thread (based on the name of the thread alone), so if that's the case:

Anthony: You're a superstar. It's hard to imagine our team without your leadership and presence. We're gonna miss you when you're gone...

Kevin: Amazing...congrats on the A-10 Rookie of the Week awards! They are very well deserved. Keep up the amazing work...

Ian: One word: ZEUS!...

Tommie: Wow...nuff said...

:)

>gary link would never talk about anything that wasnt tiger

>related. no way phan is gary link.

Interesting topic. I have spoke to a few coaches in the department and some of them didn't even know this particular forum existed. I would hope that none of the players, family members or coaches ever looked at the board. For the most part they are 18-22 year olds that are involved in athletics, schoolwork, and other activities. People on this board to my understanding never played college athletics or never coached. Some of the crap on this board could negatively affect a player or coach in ways some of you might not understand. Coaches could prbably careless but the student athlete might have trouble with some of the monday morning qb's that pop up everyday from guy's that never were in thier shoes.

Not doubting the accuracy of your story, but I would be extremely doubtful if the coaches didn't know about this forum. I am not saying they read or care about it. However, at one point they had to of gotten bored in their office and Googled Billikens and poked around.

Billsboys...past and present people regular or non-regular...have backgrounds playing college, pro, coaching college....or have been family members, former players...etc..plenty of the types you mentioned as well. I don't think you can assume anything.

WHO CARES if the players or coaches read this board? These are adults or young adults in student cases. I would assume any 18-22 athlete and student would not have the time nor care. If it were me, I wouldn't be interested....unless someone walked me over and said hey look at this...then curiosity for minor moments. People better be thicker skinned and more intelligent than that to let any time of board bother or help them. It is a place for people to get SLU hoops info...some vent....or want an outlet for venting for seeking fellow SLU supporters....for out of towners or frequent travelers like myself to check in on occasion to get info and updates on anything missed.

And the one other thing that stood out to me above...this board may or may not be the most rabid SLU fans....there are many other good SLU fans who either don't know this board exists, and/or don't have interest in internet message baords.

I really don't think a player could read this board and have major negative effects from it. Perhasps some are overestimating the power of message boards.

I do enjoy this one, and appreciate the info etc....and I leave it at that.

Steve I would buy your POSSIBLE curiosity factor, and light-hearted approach that there is a percentage, probably not great, but a percentage that may do what you suggest....and sure it would interesting or entertaining fodder.

I don't see it as more than that. I do believe there is a very small percentage of coaches who read regularly of their message boards...sadly.

I have been a vocal proponent for a long time now of remembering that players do read this board. It would make for a kinder, gentler, more humane board. I have on more than one occasion gotten shallacked by other LIST-members for being a defender of the students but every time I read a post that torches one of our players, I can almost envision that poor guy reading the post.

Someone once rejected my malfeasance by saying that this board should be compared to a pub scene, where fans can speak openly about the billikens.

What I am saying is this: imagine that same pub scene, with IV, JJ, DP, and a few others standing right there, listening in. Imagine how it might affect their self-confidence.

Then bring me another draft (Schlafly Heffeweise)!!

>I have been a vocal proponent for a long time now of

>remembering that players do read this board. It would make

>for a kinder, gentler, more humane board. I have on more

>than one occasion gotten shallacked by other LIST-members

>for being a defender of the students but every time I read a

>post that torches one of our players, I can almost envision

>that poor guy reading the post.

>

>Someone once rejected my malfeasance by saying that this

>board should be compared to a pub scene, where fans can

>speak openly about the billikens.

>

>What I am saying is this: imagine that same pub scene, with

>IV, JJ, DP, and a few others standing right there, listening

>in. Imagine how it might affect their self-confidence.

>

>Then bring me another draft (Schlafly Heffeweise)!!

These kids, whether they fully realize it or not are public figures. One of the prices they pay for getting a scholarship is scrutiny by sports fans as soon as they step on the court. I would hope that the players would not take criticism on a message board personally. We all want the team to win and have opinions on how to best accomplish that. By this age, they should realize that the only opinions that really matter about their quality of play is from the coaches.

>Billsboys...past and present people regular or

>non-regular...have backgrounds playing college, pro,

>coaching college....or have been family members, former

>players...etc..plenty of the types you mentioned as well. I

>don't think you can assume anything.

>

>WHO CARES if the players or coaches read this board? These

>are adults or young adults in student cases. I would assume

>any 18-22 athlete and student would not have the time nor

>care. If it were me, I wouldn't be interested....unless

>someone walked me over and said hey look at this...then

>curiosity for minor moments. People better be thicker

>skinned and more intelligent than that to let any time of

>board bother or help them. It is a place for people to get

>SLU hoops info...some vent....or want an outlet for venting

>for seeking fellow SLU supporters....for out of towners or

>frequent travelers like myself to check in on occasion to

>get info and updates on anything missed.

>

>And the one other thing that stood out to me above...this

>board may or may not be the most rabid SLU fans....there are

>many other good SLU fans who either don't know this board

>exists, and/or don't have interest in internet message

>baords.

>

>I really don't think a player could read this board and have

>major negative effects from it. Perhasps some are

>overestimating the power of message boards.

>

>I do enjoy this one, and appreciate the info etc....and I

>leave it at that.

Court, I would hazzard to guess the meat of the posters that post on this board regularly have not coached or played Div I college athletics. I might be wrong, but I was speaking on the majority that regularly post.

i am not sure what that has to do with anything. i would venture to say that most sports reporters both print and electronic have never coached or played division one athletics either yet no one questions their knowledge either.

Billsboys ... I think you are right most have not or even come close, but I don't think it matters. Stating negatives about a players game as long as it is kept to the game should be ok. Just a few days ago we had a poster I can't remember who ... calling a player (I think it wa in the VN thread) crud. Personally I don't think that should be allowed. The same poster could say I don't think VN has the talent to be a player on a major D1 team instead.

I think everyone knows how I feel about the name calling ... from 1 poster to another or about a player ... but criticism of a players game should be allowed ... and I have said it before most of us have no basis for evaluating a players ability. I have played with some players that I thought were unbelievable when I was on the court with them, but they were playing for a USAF base team in which the best ones are maybe D2 calliber ... maybe. So no matter what you think of a players game while watching him play for the Billikens ... if you got on the court with him ... you would be in awe.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman