Bernie takes a jab at SLU in Bernie's Bits...

SLURadioBoy

A little preview of what's in Bernie's Bits tomorrow/today...

"Kudos to John Q. Hammons for stepping up with a $25 million gift to build a new basketball arena for Missouri State University. ... By the way, how's that SLU arena coming along? Perhaps SLU can open and operate some lemonade stands this summer to raise funds for arena construction."

Here also has updates on Fisher and Hughes...

"Former St. Louis U. guard Josh Fisher was signed for the remainder of the season by Real Madrid, which competes in Spain's top pro basketball division. Fisher spent the last two seasons playing in Spain's lower divisions."

"St. Louisan Larry Hughes was hoping to return to the Cleveland Cavaliers' backcourt this weekend after rehabbing a broken right middle finger. But Hughes, who had surgery on Jan. 6, was advised to take more time to heal by team doctors, and his new target date for a return is Feb. 21. "I was praying every night that I could heal at warp speed," Hughes told reporters in Cleveland. "Now I have to be patient."

Just thought you all might find that interesting.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Frankly I'm tired of this. Bernie is right, the date on the arena just gets pushed back and back. At the latest it was supposed to start this spring, now who knows, by the end of the year hopefully. This needs to get done, or they need to stop setting dates that they cannot reach. It is embarrassing.

Biondi announced that construction will begin over two years ago, and he is till walking arond with the beggar cup in his hand.

Biondi and SLU's administration have no one to blame but themselves for this PR debacle.

I share Bernie's skepticism for this project.

Bernie knows far LESS than he lets on.

I may be right to walk up to a fat person and say, "Hey, you're really fat", but that doesn't mean I say it, even though the person's health is at risk and they REALLY need to lose weight to perserve their health.

We have Tony Novelly-Billionaire and Mike Shanahan-not a Billionaire but I am pretty sure that he has contributed $1 Million already.

I am sick of seeing the "hand clapping" commcerical at the games and on Charter. The prospect of the new arena is exciting but someone needs to get this thing moving along. I hate to say it but Bernie is right.

Biondi and company need to $hit or get off the pot with this project!

well if the billikens had a laurie or hammons sugar daddy we would already have the building done as well. add $25 million to our already raised number would give us over $50 million which would be far more than either missouri state or missouri raised from private donations.

Bernie is just pointing the fact that this whole arena project has been way to hyped from the get go. I can remember Woolard going around the country with Romar in 1999 to look at arena's for ideas for our own place. That was 7 years ago. 5 years ago we heard that we were raising funds to build this arena. I am sure we all can agree this has been a PR nightmare. Over the past 2 years we have heard various stories of changes to the arena, offices-no offices, weight room, training room etc. When CL took the job there was some real hope that this would acccelerate this process. She made deadlines and all of the sudden things have gone quiet again these past few months. According to the math, unless there was a big donation last night, we are still far away from breaking ground if at all. A spring ground breaking is a wishful thought. I would not be surprised to see us break ground, if we do at all, a couple years away. A couple of the coaches I recently spoke to just roll their eyes when you bring this up. They know we are not even close.

I'm sure you talked to a coach who just rolled his eyes. If so fire him today ... he is paid to support the Billiken program and remain positive not give off a negative vibe to some nobody fan who asks him about a very important issue. IF and that is a really big IF he did roll his eyes it was probably at you ... not the way you took it.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

> I'm sure you talked to a coach who just rolled his eyes. If

>so fire him today ... he is paid to support the Billiken

>program and remain positive not give off a negative vibe to

>some nobody fan who asks him about a very important issue.

>IF and that is a really big IF he did roll his eyes it was

>probably at you ... not the way you took it.

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H.

>Waldman

Wrong again,

I know some coaches that are still good friends in the department. As I have stated on this board many times. If you think it is a coaches job to support the athletic department no matter what and not to give off a negative vibe than I know allot of coaches at SLU would no longer be there. That statement is a joke!!! The reality is allot of coaches at SLU are disenchanted with many things in the department and the arena just happened to be the topic at hand. If you think the coaches are all hunky dory about the athletic department than I have some swamp land in Florida at a good price for you.

Are you a friend of Billiphan? I suggest you take some of the $$$ you get for that swamp land in Florida and invest in a spelling class. I assume since you spelled "a lot" twice as "allot" that you meant to misspell it. I sure hope you don't really go to SLU.

The education of Billiphan and his buddies continues.

>Are you a friend of Billiphan? I suggest you take some of

>the $$$ you get for that swamp land in Florida and invest in

>a spelling class. I assume since you spelled "a lot" twice

>as "allot" that you meant to misspell it. I sure hope you

>don't really go to SLU.

>

>The education of Billiphan and his buddies continues.

Nice post!!! A spelling error does not detract from the truth.

I don't know what's more predictable, Bernie's mention or the immediate response and thread...I am surprised at how split this thread is so far...perhaps Billiken Nation is getting a little restless on the Arena front?

While the comment might initially hurt the feelings of hard core Billiken fans, the message is purposeful. Would you rather continue to go a LONG time with no arena news, swept under the rug and no one being held accountable? The shot is not at Joe SLU fan, it is at he administration of the school. If people are not held accountable, action is never taken.

And yes it is entirely possible to have strong academics and strong athletics and strong facilities for both.

>I don't know what's more predictable, Bernie's mention or

>the immediate response and thread...I am surprised at how

>split this thread is so far...perhaps Billiken Nation is

>getting a little restless on the Arena front?

>

>While the comment might initially hurt the feelings of hard

>core Billiken fans, the message is purposeful. Would you

>rather continue to go a LONG time with no arena news, swept

>under the rug and no one being held accountable? The shot

>is not at Joe SLU fan, it is at he administration of the

>school. If people are not held accountable, action is never

>taken.

>

>And yes it is entirely possible to have strong academics and

>strong athletics and strong facilities for both.

Thanks for the "Right On the Money" post!!!

you'll get no argument from me as to the question of why it was even announced without the big cinching donation in the bag. that was the stupidity imo. without a laurie/hammons donation, how the hell did they ever think the money was going to appear. especially considering the other higher priority fund raising projects on the burner.

Why should a coach not complain to the general public about his frustrations?

Maybe I'm old school ... you complain up not down. Maybe it's my military background. If he worked for me and did it I'd discuss it once and he'd be working for someone else the second time.

We are trying to raise money ... for a coach to roll his eyes when being asked about the arena ... as if it's ridiculous and is a joke ... you don't see the problem with that?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman