FREE TOMMIE LIDDELL!!

SLUDrew

Tommie could not be stopped. The only thing that stopped Tommie was either A) Tommie, in which case the coaching staff should have urged him on or B) The coaching staff, in which case the coaching staff should be shot.

It was so painful wathing him get the ball on the wing, and the whole building knowing he could take his guy, but he didn't.

That is so true. One of the Iowa fans near me kept saying, "Why doesn't 25 shoot the ball?" He makes his shots and he can get open, plus he can elevate way over most of his defenders.

Remember that one of the criticisms of Tommie from high school was that he was too unselfish. We need him to become selfish...soon!

He needs to look for his shot so much more. I am not saying he needs to be selfish and not look for the open man, but my God, in the first few minutes Iowa was shell-shocked. I though Alford would call a TO just to switch defenders. I hope as he gains more experience Tommie learns to demolish his opponents until they find a way to stop him.

Tommie seems like when he gets the ball he immediately looks for someone to pass it to rather than a way to cut to the basket. It feels like a hesitation. As already stated, I can't decide if this is Tommie holding back or being held back. Or maybe I'm expecting too much?

>I don't think it is a knock on Tommmie's instinct. He is a

>freshman. If you tell him to just play and take shots he

>will. If you tell him to play D and be extremely selective

>and get the ball to IV, like we do, then he will.

He plays aggressive when he runs the pg, but not on the wing. He's a pg who can play the wing. Next year with Meyer, Maguire, Brown, and Lisch, he can play a lot more pg. As a 6'4 pg his stock rises exponentially for the next level.

Tommie has the green light to make plays IMO....he is more comfortable with some parts of his game compared to others...and being a good ballplayer, he tries to get us the best shot.

If he develops a more consistent 3 point shot, he will get alot more room to work...he is definitely not automatic from 3 point range!!!

However, if some other guys step up, both he an Ian will have more room to score! Some of them jacked some quick shots last night that didnt even give Ian or Tommie a chance to touch the ball.

I agree with the sentiment expressed above and wish to add one extra point: how many times last night did we a player not named Tommie Liddell heave up a bad shot as the shot clock expired? Must have been 4 times if not more. I think that as the shot clock winds down we need to put the ball in Tommie's hands and everybody else clear out (as done for Marque in years past). You know he will beat his man off the dribble and either get himself or a teammate an open look.

... because isn't this the Rich Grawer offense from days of lore. Work the shot clock down to three seconds to get the ball in the hands of a non-shooter, 18 feet from the basket (not even a three), so he can chuck it and run back on defense?

This team should work through a sequential shot selection order ... #1) Ian. #2) TL on a slash. #3) A 12 to 15 footer. #4) Anything else.

You are all missing the point - it is not about TL being unselfish or Brad's offense shutting creativity down. What is happening now and happened last night is that we are seeing zones because no one has shown the ability on the team to break the zone by hitting a few outside shots on a consistent basis. The zone is creating lots of problems for IV and for TL. The zone clogs it up so TL can not slash without finding himself standing among 3 opposing players so he either gets blocked, hacked, ball stolen away, or he has to pass the ball out. The same is happening to IV but not because he is trying to slash to the basket. This inability to shoot the 3 is killing this team - Brad even said so in his post game interview and in the quotes in the paper today. I am not sure how to solve this problem - Brad is simply at his rope's end with it also - but somebody has to step up and NOW!!!. DB won't shoot the ball if you put a gun to his head - he has no confidence at all. DP will shoot now and then but he passes up lots of good opportunities because he has no confidence in his shot. LM - he has not been able to hit anything consistently either. KL - he has thrown more air balls up the last 3 games then he probably did thru out his entire h.s. career. AD was the only one willing to shoot and make the shots. Until he comes back, we are in big trouble. I never thought I would say that but it takes a big man to admit he was wrong. I just thought others would have progressed farther but it simply has not happened.

cheeeezer has a key point-- we gotta figure out ways to break those zones.

Put more simply--our perimeter scoring, which I believe will be a real strength in 2 years, is right now a big disadvantage and weakness.

teams like Iowa will play zones on us till we bust 'em. and they will draw up plays for the person DP is guarding on the other end, like Iowa did last night. I pointed out after the 1st exhibition--our perimeter defense is often weak; Iowa exposed us again.

Our perimiter D is weak, because we sag down inside too much, any team that moves the ball quickly can find open looks. When JJ is in the game with Ian we need to extend the D out a little more. Last night though I thought we played alot better D ... they really swing the ball quickly and set good hard screens (quite a few moving) and shot the ball quickly coming off the pick. If run properly there isn't really much you can do when a team is shooting like that. It isn't like they were just standing flat footed shooting threes like we have seen in the past. It seems to me when we are on offense even against a zone we slow the ball down to look inside too much, that gives the defenders too much time to rotate and we don't get that much space to shoot. We need to move the ball quicker creating better looks ... maybe then we can hit a few more. We hit a few more and the defense extends out then we react quickly to get the ball inside.

One of the problems is that the ball is being handled by freshman and sophmores who haven't got enough experience. We will get better.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

your answer is not the coaching staff. he has been a houdini disappearing act as long as i have been following him. dominates for a spell, then just disappears.

once he gets over that fear of seeming selfish i guess, he will finally reach stardom.

jj, we must be watching different games because it is standard to go to tommie with about 10 on the clock. if tommie then chooses to give it up to polk or lisch, what the hell are polk and lisch going to do as the clock is then down to about 3. lisch got stuck with that "opportunity" 4 different times last night and i think polk twice. once again, just another example of tommie not ready to step up. once he realizes he is the one with the skill to make that play and finishes, his effectiveness will double.

>>if tommie then chooses to give it up to polk or lisch, what the hell are polk and lisch going to do as the clock is then down to about 3.<<

Didn't mean to imply it was Lisch or Polk's fault they got stuck with the ball in their hands with 4 ticks left on the clock. And agree that many times with 10 seconds left, Tommie got a touch then gave it up rather than penetrate. My take on what I saw was that Tommie has not been specifically told to penetrate if the ball goes in his hands with 10 tics or less. It should be drilled into him.

Tag ... disagree with your Grawer analogy. Putting the ball in TL's hands 18 feet away does not mean he shoots a jumper from 18 feet (although agree that TL is not a shooter at this point in his career, he's a scorer but not a shooter). Nobody on Iowa could gaurd TL off the dribble. Thus, he either blows by his guy or Iowa doubles leaving somebody with an open look.

BlueC - you are correct - if TL starts taking more shots and misses a few then people will say he does not have a hot hand stop it. I also think you make a good point about he played 40 min. last night - I knew he was on the floor a very long time but the whole game - that is a lot to ask of a freshmen.

From what I understand Tommie has the greenlight to take shots. He needs to get a better understanding of how to play with Ian. He seems to think the ball must go through Ian at all times, however if Ian is being covered and Tommie has a clear advantage, Tommie needs to look for his offense,especially with the start he had against Iowa. If Tommie comes out and makes his first 3 shots, it's inexcusable in my book that he doesn't finished the half with at least 10 fgs attempts. He finished the game shooting 6-12fgs. I believe the 12th attempt came off the steal and dunk around the 9:30 mark of the 2nd half.