A10 Challenge

I am intrigued by the Big Ten/ACC challenge, and think it is a good thing for both conferences. I wonder how the A10 could help itself with this mechanism.

Who could they partner with in such a venture? Would the MVC be a good fit? It would bring different parts of the country together who normally don't schedule much, other than us.

Something to chew on.

mhg

Man that's a toughie. First, we'd look like copycats. Second, am sure, despite current conference RPI's, most A-10 schools would look down their noses at MVC. Third, the ACC/Big 10 came about at the time everyone thought they were the two best in the nation, hence a lot of national interest. The A-10 ain't that. I'm surprised ESPN didn't keep shaking this made for TV event up every year, like making the challenge the the #1 ranked conference vs the number 2 ranked either based on previous year's final ranking or preseason ranking. The ACC is down a little this year, except for Duke. And the Big 10 isn't strong every year. Fourth, if not the MVC, it would be great to see an A-10 vs Pac 10, Atlantic vs Pacific, but the Pac 10 would probably be looking down their noses at us. The tournament or challenge I'd like to see would be the big East all hoops schools vs the A-10 all hoops schools. This would be Jebby vs Jebby playing for the Papal Cup (Holy Grail Tournament, or is that sacreligious?). Speaking of the a-10 I checked on their records this week, I don't think anyone, except Temple, has played or is set to play a schedule as demanding as ours. Though most of those on top have had a quality win or two. I think our best shot at a noticeable win will come against Iowa, which would be huge confidence boost going into conference play. I can't see us beating Zaga no matter how well we play as Morrison is just too damn good and his supporting cast ain't too shabby either.

.... I heard this on one of the telecasts but the announcers (and I don't know which pair doing what game) said that originally, the challenge was the ACC/Big East Challenge. They said it evolved to an ACC/Big Ten Challenge because the Big East had not kept up .. top to bottom .. with the ACC and therefore it wasn't as competitive as it was supposed to be. Now, with the ACC dominance int he Big Ten Challenge, these two guys wer especualting that it was now time to reup the Big East part of it and do away with the Big Ten.

As for the A10 .... I don't know that it would fly. Copycatter for sure but I am also thinking that "Bracket Buster Saturday" is now the big event for those teams in the lesser conferences now ... not that the A10 is a lesser. But the MoValley gets two or three in there which I think acknowledges their weakenss near the bottom. Of course, with Duquesne and Richmond and some of the A10 being weak (we are perceived there right now as well) I don't see anything alluring enough to get the network bigs up and in a tizzy. Who wants to see Fordham/Evansville anyway?

'72 said "Oh yeah that's a game I don't want to miss, Mizzery against Ole Miss. or Bayor against Vandy....sorry not intriguing as Duke vs an MSU or Indiana. I could see the big east getting back into the mix and the revenge factor would be big. "

I certainly agree that taking the bottom of SEC/Big 12 vs the top of ACC/Big 10 is not as intriguing, duh!!!

OK-Fla, TX-KY, KU-Ark....

What is this revenge factor that Depaul, S FLa, Marq, Cinn, Louisville, WVA all have and against whom??

Cowboy, did you fall off your horse? The revenge factor would be huge in a Big East vs ACC challenge. Who pirated the Big East football schools and only God knows how many BCS $$$ along with them? Despite adding Louisville and UC, you can't tell me the Big East wouldn't rather have BC, VT, and Miami still in the fold. The only schools in the SEC and Big 12 w/national reps like a Duke, UNC, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, even though they are down somewhat, are Kentucky in the SEC and Kansas in the Big 12. Oklahoma, Florida still have a ways to go in my estimation even though they have had some success in recent years. Just a thought if you were on family feud and the question was, name top 10 collge basketball teams over the last 10 years who do you think would come up most often: My guess would be, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kentucky, Indiana, Conneticut, Gonzaga, Michigan State, and Louisville. Not that all of the above have had the most success, eg Indiana and UCLA, but more because they have great traditions with very recognizable coaches.

the big ten and the acc used to not match up very well in number of teams either. that didnt stop that.

just use the previous year's top 10 teams vs the pac 10 teams.

So 1/3 of the conference is either new or has their own BCS deal so that drives a huge revenge factor vs the ACC, those 5 teams should be thanking the ACC for creating the opening in the Big East that they got to fill!!!

I do still love how you made your previous point by comparing the top of the ACC/Big 10 to the bottom of the Big12/SEC, that was good.

Don't doubt UL, UC, MU, DePaul, and S.Fl (especially S.FL)are thrilled to be in the Big East. My point was, is the Big East REALLY thrilled to have them to fill the gaping holes left by VT, MIA, and BC? No way they covered the football loss by the 5 invitees. Hoops wise they actually may have strengthened themselves. I think Big Easty is the number one conference today. 'Nova, UL, and CT could all make the final 4. That would suck if you were the typical ACC preppy basketball elitist type nattering nabob that I live with every day down here. "Oh, Muffy, those thugs from the big east are dominating the final four. Our beloved Dukies could actually lose!" "Gawd, Biff, it's just dreadful! Be a dear though and fetch me another chocolate martini!"