prepsports forum bashing Dustin

VTIME

http://forums.stltoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=319405

coachturner

Forum User

Posted: 08 Dec 2005 01:01 am

Post subject: Edwardsville

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edwardsville is very well coached! Maguire is all hype. He is not D1 material. Soderberg again makes another recruiting mistake. Maguire could not take his man one on one. He traveled with one of his only moves. Maguire is slow and his defensive ability is lacking. He will not be able to defend a Division 1 guard. Waldo was very displeased with the attitude of Maguire in the 3rd quarter. I think Maguire is frustrated because he is not getting enough shots! It's going to be a long year for Maguire trying to fit into Waldo's system. It will be fun to watch. Maguire will not play for my beloved Billikens! He will transfer from SLU due to lack of minutes. SIU-E or bust! Stewart can really play. His defense and ball handling was impressive. I can see that Ill-Chicago has found a sleeper in Stewart.

ILLINOIS

Forum User

Posted: 08 Dec 2005 20:53 pm

Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could've said it any better myself CoachTurner!

It's the same attitude that he had at CM. The old saying the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree is correct. Bet the older Maguire is fuming about his number of shots.

All the people in Bethalto can do is

hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Stephen Jones is twice the player Maguire is. Gets it done on both ends of the court.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely agree...I remember sitting in the Blue Crew section my freshman year with everyone around me saying that IV was worthless and why would coach have recruited him, and look at what happened. I take full responsibility of that horrid assumption and pre=judgement...I will never doubt coach ever again (well, unless someone can explain Bryce to me).

Bryce will be alright. As a redshirt Soph he is able to give us up to 10 minutes a game against most teams-not bad for a still developing 7 footer. Also he has the better part of 3 yrs to continue to improve. I think he is just what Brad thought he'd be-a servicable 3 yr. backup to Ian who should be able to start, if needed, his Sr year. If Brad is able to recruit a better "5" by 2 years from now then BH will, at a minimum, be an above average backup center his last year. For the tough to recruit big men, that's not a bad scenario. We've done much worse with easier to recruit guards.

Can people just lighten up a bit on DM? For crying out loud, the kid is in high school. Had a bad game and at age 17 or 18, he has some deficiencies. I have heard Brad say in the past that he can teach almost anybody to play defense, he can't teach them how to shoot or score. Obviously, Brad sees something here that he thinks will fit the system.

I also remember back to Wisconsin's Final Four team that Brad was assistant on...they had a shooting guard (off the bench) named Jon Bryant...had played at Div. II St. Cloud, left there and talked his way onto the Badgers roster. Didn't play much for awhile, but during their big run, he was a huge 3-point weapon off the bench. That worked real well for the Badgers...could be that Dustin plays a role like that.

is a mixed bag, so far. It's too early to judge the freshman class, but when you think about Husak, Johnson, and Clarke, Brad's had his share of busts.

Let's see Brad get the Billikens into the NCAA on a regular basis before 'giving him the benefit of the doubt'.

Both Justin and AD were basically on the afterthought list for any recruiter by the time Brad found them...at that same time, he picked up Izik, and that worked out pretty good. Husak was always a project, Clarke clearly had potential and there's no telling what went wrong there. Reggie and Frericks were nice transfers to land that had solid junior seasons, then crapped out their senior years. IV has worked out well...TL and KL should work out great.

Considering that A:) Not every kid is a winner for any coach, and B:) Brad started with plenty of handicaps, like no big basketball legacy at SLU to build on, plenty of better publicized competition (ILL, MO) nearby, etc., I would say it rates better than a mixed bag at this point. If TL and KL pan out as expected, I suspect there will be fewer complaints about his recruiting abilities down the road. The big thing lacking is a solid 4...let's see what he can do about that (remembering that a healthy Obi has potential to be the answer there).

It seems that most of us keep forgetting about Obi. He was obviously a stud in high school and was pursued prior to his injury by a lot of big name programs. Those same programs simply do not need to take a risk on an injured player, HOWEVER, that does not mean that the player isn't just as good as he was prior to the injury. Just think about it.

I fully expect Obi to be a key piece to the puzzle next year and well into the future. He is an athletic big 4 with a decent shot, if I remember the descriptions accurately. He is just what we need - it is just too bad that he had to redshirt.

I'm sure SLU would love to duplicate their Sweet 16 finish.

I'm about earning distinctions, such as proving your worth as a coach and recruiter. Brad may do it, but he hasn't yet. I don't put too much credence in he's a head coach, so therefore he must know what he's doing. No, let his record speak for him, not his qualifications.

As for Bradfan, I made your SAME criticisms of the Drejaj and Johnson recruits at the TIME it happened. I knew they were reaches and that Brad faced serious time constraints by being hired late. Of course, everyone thought I was being negative at the time. Actually, I was being real...

First of all the Sweet 16 finish was several years ago and was not a result of your current coach. Now that being said - SMS has played well the last couple of years - in fact before that many were calling for Hinson's head. Lets just focus on the issue at hand and that is DM - while I agree that you should recruit for starters - there is only 5 spots available and so mathematically some recruits will have to be back ups. What is going to happen with DM is one of two things - he will come to SLU and go through the normal freshman stuff - sit on the bench awhile, get a few minutes here and there, get 5-6 minutes a game as the season progresses or he will not play defense, get relegated to the bench the entire season and eventually transfer somewhere. I have no idea which scenerio will play out but Brad must think something of him or else he would never have promised to not recruit another player for his position this year.

It is possible to do that you know. Of the three, I would say Missouri State would have the strongest connection since I WORK there. I never attended SLU or Mizzou, so therefore you can say I can offer a balanced perspective that's missing on Billikens.com or Tigerboard.com.

>>I'm about earning distinctions, such as proving your worth

>>as a coach and recruiter.

>

>

>I can see why you are no longer supporting the Tigers. Must

>be nice to fly on the wind of who is winning. Most fans

>can't really do that.....

>

>We'll see how things go from here......

Exactly!

>was in 1999. I'd hardly call that ancient history. Now

>mentioning SLU's heyday in the late 50's. That's ancient

>history...

AJ, let's compare results since then.

SLU - has made one NCAA appearance and two NIT appearances.

SMS - two NIT appearances.

Clearly Spoon viewed us as a step up from SMS.

dont consider the shootout game of dustin "bad news". it may be harder to visualize what brad and fans that have seen him more often see, but i wouldnt write it off yet.

i think i was the most negative about mcguire's (did i spell it right bauman?) signing, however, i also think i understand what brad is trying to do. if he hits on the next steve novak that can come in a couple of times a game and hit 2-3 three pointers to open up the inside and give lisch and liddell driving room, he is a success.

i want to see him as a billiken first before cashing in my bets.

Let's pick and choose our years. Why go back 6 years when you can do 5 years and look what we have!!

SLU has Missouri State beat by ONE WHOLE NCAA appearance. You're right, ACE, who am I to dispute your case analysis demonstrating SLU's superior results over Missouri State? Give yourself a pat on the back... Job well done!!

No different than you picking and choosing your glorious 1999 Sweet 16 or better yet, picking and choosing which team you root for.

You've proven to be little more than an-anti SLU stalker. Somewhere along the line SLU hurt your feelings.