Typical Slaten today

SLURadioBoy

I listened to part of the Slaten and Rammer show today to hear what the had to say about the game last night and I wasn't very surprised. Slaten goes on this rant saying that college basketball is going downhill because coaches today just care about defense, they don't care about offense at all. Players need to be recruited more for offensive ability than how good they are at defense. He said almost all schools (except Gonzaga) are bad at doing this, especially SLU. He said, "What would you rather see, Gonzaga play into triple overtime against Michigan State or SLU score 69 points against Eastern Illinois?" Ramsey then defended SLU saying that they have plenty of offensive threats in Vouyoukas, Brown, Lisch, Liddell, etc. and they don't just focus on defense.

Last time I checked, doesn't defense win games instead of offense? I guess Slaten's never gonna get over his no-defense son not getting a D-1 schollie.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

I wouldn't now, but his form is horrible and he should have been taught the right as a kid. I would just think that with the king as I dad he would have learned the fundamentals. If he is a good shooter now ... he would probably be better had he learned correctly.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I have not listened to KFNS since they hired Slaten. But I happened to listen to a few minutes of that discussion by accident because my car radio was on 590 from the night before when I was listening to the post game show driving back after the game.

Slaten is an obnoxious idiot who knows nothing about the game of basketball and he is personnal a jerk so I refuse to listen to him. He hates the Bills, he hates Brad and he is a miserable human being.

My concern is the person so many on this board seem to think is a great guy--Bob Ramsey. I think he does an ok job on the broadcasts but I have always thought he has a generally bad attitude about the Bills in the sense he is always ready to criticize them and he has no understanding that one of the parts of his job as Billiken announcer is to be a fan. He seems to view his job as the radio version of Bernie M.-- where everything is looked at with a negative slant if anything goes wrong.

The discussion last night is a perfect example. He took an unbelievable shot at Brad as he tried to suck up to Slaten--lord knows why he would even care. As Slaten went on hhis rant about how defense does not matter, etc., Ramsey said that coaches who coach tough defense do so becaue they are incapable of recruiting good as a direct shot at Bradplayers. This ridiculous statement was a direct shot at Brad and is so stupid it boggles the mind. I watched Duke and UConn yeaterday. Both teams won the games because of their tough defense. UConn played great defense and won 63-61. A relatively low scoring game but one that I am sure UConn fans loved it!

I hope all on this board have a great Thanksgiving. Go Bills!

Rammer tries so hard to be objective that he goes overboard to show that he is NOT a fan. He is very quick to criticize the Bills to show that he is not a homer.

A good coach coaches defense because he wants to win. That is the bottom line. He is talking more about the offense this year since it is so different than before. It is the D that determines PT more than anything else. The players will learn that very quickly if they don't already know it.

mhg

My problem with Ramsey is that he is a half empty type of guy. We have long debated the half empty/half full attitudes and for fans I understand the modern thinking of what have you done for me today with no memory of any success in the past. But I really think our home town announcer ought to be a half full type of guy that trys to always look at the team with a positive attitude.

Here is the issue with Rammer - if SLU paid him enough to be a full time employee then he could be the supporter we think he should be. However, he has to have other gigs to make money and one happens to be on a talk radio sports show. Thus, he feels compelled to say whatever he thinks he needs to say. I said before when he was teamed with Slaten that this would be trouble for us since he is lukewarm as it is about SLU when on a talk sports radio show but now with Slaten who can get him fired or replaced - ie Clairborne - he has to really watch what he says. If the team starts winning, then he will have the ammo to argue with Slaten. Now that being said, I have been displeased with his lack of public support since he is seen as the voice of the Bills for sometime now but like I said, until we pay him full time we are stuck with it.

the late pete taylor, he died about 3 years ago, was the long time radio voice for iowa state. about the last 12--15 years he worked for iowa state as an athletic fundraiser. before that he was the sports director for the cbs affiliate in des moines.

gary dolphin, the radio voice for the iowa hawkeyes, i believe is a banker in dubuque, iowa.

In Rammer's gig at KFNS doing his work as a sports-talk radio host. He's expected to be an objective commentator who is able to look at a program (SLU) and point out problems and praise it when necessary.

As host and play by play man for Billikens games or coaches shows, i expect him to be the guy who is working hard to build the program up.

He doesnt have to be objective about the program during games...he doesnt have to be SLU-RAMMER during his regular shows. He's a professional and can do both.

A Correction from an abovepost:

**Mike Kelly does NOT do the PA work at the Dome for Rams games. Jim Holder from KTRS does.

Slaten would have to improve in order to qualify as an idiot. On the other hand, I believe that Ramsey's assesssment is spot on. In the past, we have lacked the atleteicism necessary to compete with the big dogs in C-USA. Consequently, the emphasis has been on defense as a competetive necessity. With the change in conference and the recruitment of DP, TL, KL, DB and others, we are seeing a possible shift in philosophy. The emphasis on defense was simply good coaching, but Slaten is blinded by his preceived notions as well as his personal stake. I would think that the responsibility for being right all the the time and on every subject to be enormous.

Band - you are correct - Holder does the PA for the Rams - my bad. It is kind of hard for Rammer to be rah rah SLU during the broadcast when he has just ripped the Bills that day on the radio. I never said that Rammer's assessments were not correct just that it makes for a difficult situation when people hear the voice of the Bills saying negative things about the team. It would be like a school principal making negative comments about the school board - does not create a positive perspective for those listening. I also said, until we are his full time employee we simply have to live with it. Remember, sometimes it is about perception when it comes to the public's image.