Positions

slufanskip

If you could have any attributes you wanted from the 3 guard positions ... what would you want ie ...

pg. Vision, quickness, ability to control the tempo of the game, ability to get to the ball to the open man.

sg. Good outside shot, strength, ability to get by his man when they close to quick, defense, vision, passing.

wing. ability to get to the hole and finish, decent outside shot. great defense, rebounding, and good vision with passing skills.

Your ideas may be different than mine ... but what do you think.

Now lists the current Bills in how they fit into your positions

For me it would be

pg. Tommie, Dwayne, Kevin, Drejaj

sg. Kevin, Danny, Drejaj, Tommie

wg. Tommie, Danny, Luke, Kevin, Drejaj

My starting 3 would be Tommie at the 1, Kevin the 2, and Danny at the 3. I think the reason I would choose this over Dwayne at the 1, kevin at the 2 and Tommie at the 3 ... is defense. With those 3 on the floor for 30 minutes or more per game we could shut down opponents perimiter games and ability to get to the basket. We could also creat quite a few turnovers resulting in some easy baskets

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

a question i have for you skip is what is the difference in todays game between a sg and a wg? i think they are one and the same.

I don't ... I see the differences as the differences between say, Danny and Kevin ... ideally for me the wing guard would be taller, more of a slasher ... with the shooting guard being a better outside shooter a zone buster ... I understand that depending on the talent you have they could be interchangeable ... but I'm talking ideally.

Ideally Skip, your 2guard can do everything the wing player can do. Doesn't always happen that way. Stereotypically, the two guard is a lights out jump shooter, and the wing a slasher,....the point penetrates and distributes...but it doesn't always wwork out that way based on what you have....

If SLU wants to be successful Polk will have to have improved strength and ability to get into the lane and create opportunities for others...if he improves his outside shooting, it is an added bonus...his strength is quickness...his job is to start the offense nowhere near half court and create problems with dribble penetration.

There is a big difference between a two and a three. A legitimate two has to be able to shoot the ball from beyond the arc, but can survive without being able to slash to the hole. A three has to be able to rebound and create offense by taking the ball to the basket. Based on what I have seen in practice, Lisch is a classic two and Liddell is a classic three. Brown also fits the mold of a classic three.

I fail to see how Dwayne Polk is anything but a true point guard. His best attributes are his ability to handle the ball, penetrate, and distribute.

The more I think about our lineup, the more I think we should start the following players:

PG: Liddell - Best creator, athlete, shooter, etc.

SG: Lisch - Best shooter and good all-around player

SF: Brown - Good shooter, very good athlete, good slasher and rebounder

PF: JJ - Good athlete; our best shot at having a true power forward

C: Ian - Obvious

This means that Polk, Drejaj, and Newborne would come off the bench. What a great trio of energy to bring off the bench--each one brings great hustle and enthusiasm that is ideal for a jolt off the bench. Husak would obviously spell the center position as necessary.

With this starting lineup, would we encounter many lineups that have a better combination of size and athleticism?

I can agree with your line-up.....but we all know the starting five may only be on the floor, as a unit, for 5-7 minutes before the first substitution is made.

It will be interesting to see what 5 guys get the most minutes during the non-conference portion of SLU's schedule......and then what 5 guys get the most minutes during A-10 play. I'm guessing it's not the same 5 guys!

i totally agree with tseugnekillib. and i am starting to think that the lineup might be different every game except ian. there is such close competition that time will be earned accordingly game by game, practice by practice.

i love this set of guards.

I love the lineup Nark mentions. Of course I want the line up that wins the most games, but I think that line up will give us our best chance.

I am puzzled about the amount of people that think AD should start and get a great number of minutes. I'm not sure what people have seen that I haven't. No, I haven't been to practice yet this year, but not sure it would make a difference. It only matters in games. AD has not shown the past 3 seasons that he has the consistency to play a bulk of the minutes every game.

He may look good in practice this year, but that does not tell anything. Some may say that some have not played a minute of D1 ball yet so why would I advocate them play over AD. Well, since I haven't seen it from AD in three years, I would rather gamble with young potential.

I guess you have to weigh the intangibles such as leadership and experience which he does have. His defense is good, but his shot is horrible, so do those cancel each other out. Many have advocated he play PG. That baffles me. It's not like his ball handling is spectacular. I remember several road games last year where the opposing team's play by play guys have more than once mentioned that AD's ball handling was average at best.

I think it will be interesting and I can't wait to see what plays out, but going into a lot of unknowns, I would love to see the line up Nark mentions.

If you read my post above you will see that I also like that lineup. I hate advocating taking DP out of the starting lineup but I just love the size that lineup brings. I don't know the A10 rosters ... but I can't imagine that we wouldn't create alot of matchup problems. Also those 3 should have the athleticism to play lock down D.

imo, the three best players in yesterday's scrimmage were lisch, ian and drejaj. coincidentally they were all on the same team and won the scrimmage as well. drejaj is earning his shot.