Sean Kowal of DeSmet to Colorado

eskimo

Saw this in the Post this morning from Nate. What is the deal with this guy? He's a big dude, but can he play? It says he considered us, but that he contacted Colorado and the Big 12 school offered a schollie :

DeSmet's Kowal gives commitment to Colorado

DeSmet's Sean Kowal committed to play basketball at the University of Colorado during an official visit on Sunday.

"Colorado had everything I wanted, everything I was looking for in a school," he said.

Kowal, a 6-foot-10, 240-pound center, contacted the Colorado coaching staff a couple weeks ago because he was interested in the school. After some background research, the team sent an assistant coach to check out Kowal and offered him a scholarship on the spot.

A Metro Catholic Conference honorable mention selection after averaging 7.6 points and 5.7 rebounds a game last season, Kowal said he also considered Austin Peay, St. Louis University, Ball State, Tennessee and Albany.

His name really did not appear much on this board as a possible serious recruit of ours - it seems that SLU took a look at him and decided to pass. The other teams that were looking at him were only mid majors so others probably did not think that highly of him. The question I have is why would CO take one look at him and then offer? - seems odd to me.

This commitment is what I believe to be false. Its not listed on rivals.com or scouthoops.com or any other website that all the area and nation's commits are. Why didnt SLU offer Brett Gifford and let him go to Albany. Why haven't they offered Powell yet? If they are looking for a project to redshirt Vashon also has 6'10 Lamar Patterson, 6'8 Ben Adams, and 6'8 Ray Harrell in their 2007 class. But I seriously doubt this Kowal commitment and he is only 6'8. Billy Brandenburg is better. So is John. Offering Manual Cass would be a good move also.

just because some recruiting site doesnt have an offer down for a very low ranked player like the desmet project, doesnt mean it doesnt happen. liddell didnt show as a commit with slu on rivals for a long time after he verballed to slu while at east side.

are the billikens allowed to contact a junior in any way let alone call him up and offer him a scholarship? if someone has done that to powell, please let us know, we can likely turn a cheater in to the ncaa.

I agree with you on the gifford kid. i think they should have taken a closer look at this kid. his improvement over the summer was rapid. they have three schollies to give. i'm sure they want to ready-made forwards from the juco ranks, but using one on a improving big that you can develop for the next 4-5 years would have been nice.

i've always advocated that we look around the state because we've seen some pretty good bigs such as dane watts, drew richards, anthony tolliver, sam singh, cody stoneburner and this gifford kid coming out. all have a chance to be solid D-1 players, except for the stoneburner kid who stayed close to home to go to quincy.

bad boyz for life

Kowal did not have an offer from SLU, but he said the Billikens were watching him and would evaluate him this season before possibly making an offer. I think he said SLU wanted him to redshirt his first year as well.

According to the Colordo basketball website, 10 of the Buffaloes 18 players on the roster (yes, they have 18 players listed on their roster) are seniors:

http://www.cubuffs.com/SportSelect.dbml?SP...5&Q_SEASON=2005

Kowal said Colorado is losing eight players from this year's team. CU already had commitments from five guys (I think) when Kowal committed, with essentially a point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward and center already verballed. So Kowal will have a chance to compete for minutes right away if he's ready, which works out well for the kid and the school.

I think SLU should have taken a closer look. The Billikens are probably either going to end up with a project high school big man (like Bryce Husak/Obi Ikeakor) or two, or some undersized junior college power forward (like Vas'shun Newborne) or two with their remaining scholarships. If that's the case, it would make sense to look at Kowal or a kid like Brent Gifford. Kowal could end up being a player like Brian Cusworth, who I bet SLU would love to have had last year and this year.

- Nate

Nate, how much closer of a look could SLU take? Please explain what you mean.

SLU has been watching Kowal in both the summers and winters since he was

a freshman. As far as redshirting......next season SLU will have Ian as their senior center and Bryce as a junior back-up center. The minutes for Kowal at SLU next year would be scarce at best. Benefitting from a red-shirt frosh year should have been a no brainer for Sean.

only time will tell on that one. comparing shaw to kowal is pointless. kowal is not in the same area code. shaw as a sophomore was better than kowal is now as a senior. the brandenurg kid from kirkwood is more advanced right now and he isn't a D-1 prospect. as was said before kowal has been watched by the staff for three years. desmet was at slu's team camp for the past three years. kowal's size and athleticism are intriguing. BUT. he showed very little during the summer playing for gateway. what are ou supposed to do. i saw a lot of sean on the road and he lacked a lot of competitiveness and heart when matched up against players who were his own size.

when you have 8-10 scholarships to give, you can take a gamble on a 6'9" kid whose shown very little but height. if he improves, you got something. If not, you can run him off and he'll transfer to a smaller school and have a good career. (like Heimos did with nebraska or walter moore at iowa state). it's a little different when you have only 2 or 3 schollies to give on a team full of frontcourt projects and you need some people who are capable of playing right away. if kowal only showed something, he would be in a much better position.

bad boyz for life

I'm just wondering when SLU is going to offer the following players. 6'7 Manual Cass, 6'7 Leon Powell, 6'6 Dave Stewart, 6'7, 6'6 Jeremy Felton, 5'10 James Washington, 6'6 Eric McCrary, 6'8 Tyler Griffey, 6'6 Andrew Kueker, 6'10 Lamar Patterson, 6'4 Jeremy Sharpe, 6'3 Chad Thompson, one of the Ritter guards,

problack, i dont know some of the players on your wish list, however, if you think that the likes of mccrary is a-10 quality, you are crazy beyond crazy.

powell is a legitimate question unless he has academic concerns. you would know more about that than most of this board.

felton has had extreme academic struggles thus far, so why would they offer him?

it is my understanding that cass is also not going to be the carbondale valedictorian.

griffey hasnt even played one high school basketball game yet.

the rest of your list i cant comment on.

if there is an area underclassmen player i would be chasing besides powell, it is lucas o'rear.