John Brandenburg update

I'm definately one who believes it's silly to offer this early in a kid's high-school career. He's only going to be a sophomore. The kid may not develop the next two years or he may get hurt, you never know.

Call it silly call it whatever you want. Odds are he is going to be 7 foot and athletic. We currently have a 7 foot stiff in our program, and if you look down the road the earlier we get onto kids the better our chances of recruiting them to SLU. These other schools feel the same way as well. What does it hurt to offer a kid early absolutely nothing especially if the guarantee is he is going to be 7 foot. But if other recruits see someone they think is a high level recruit being recruited somewhere they are more likely to keep that school in mind when it comes time for them to look for a school. Recruiting should start inside out, regionally speaking. SLU is doing that for the most part and if they were to go after some of the top players in the area sooner, i.e. John Brandenburg, Tyler Griffey, Chris Stokes, Adam Kiel, Marvin McNutt, Mike Tisdale, and so on they might be able to nab a couple of the better local talent but they need to get after it early and stay on them. Kids, players, heck people want to go where they are wanted and if the SLU community can make these kids feel wanted longer, offer them as soon as you think he is going to be a legit player. You may not get that player but at least you can say you were there in the beginning.

I'm surprised St. Louis U. hasn't offered scholarships to John Brandenburg and Tyler Griffey yet. Even though neither have played in a varsity game, the sooner the Billikens offer those two, the better.

I wouldn't say something like that about a young guard, but when you consider that both of these kids are already taller than most of the big men on SLU's roster now ... you have to consider the option.

- Nate

"if they were to go after some of the top players in the area sooner, i.e. John Brandenburg, Tyler Griffey, Chris Stokes, Adam Kiel, Marvin McNutt, Mike Tisdale, and so on they might be able to nab a couple of the better local talent but they need to get after it early and stay on them."

OJ, this sounds great on its surface but SMS offers every high major St. Louis player earlier than SLU yet they sign none of them. So obviously there's more to signing high major talent than who offered first -- who's doing the offering and the kid's grade situation has a lot more to do it. If Brandenberg develops into a top 100 player he will be yet another player that SMS offered early and didn't get. You don't win anything for that.

SLU has to recruit players who will help them compete in the top tier of the A-10. How does offering mid-major recruits like Chris Stokes, Adam Kiel and Marvin McNutt this early accomplish this? We're already landing that caliber of talent. Now Leon Powell deserves early recruitment -- and he's getting it.

>SLU has to recruit players who will help them compete in the

>top tier of the A-10. How does offering mid-major recruits

>like Chris Stokes, Adam Kiel and Marvin McNutt this early

>accomplish this? We're already landing that caliber of

>talent. Now Leon Powell deserves early recruitment -- and

>he's getting it.

First of all you don't know what impact offering a kid early has. I cannot really think of anyone over the past few years who SMS has offered early and didn't get. But at least people know SMS is on the map. SLU needs to get on the map somehow. Whatever SMS is doing it is working.

Now Stokes, Kiel and McNutt are players that having great summers and doing damage against the top talent in he country. I cannot think of one reason why those guys can't play at SLU and contribute to make the Bills better down the road.

I am tired of talking about Leon Powell. What has he done to deserve early recruitment?

>OJ, this sounds great on its surface but SMS offers every

>high major St. Louis player earlier than SLU yet they sign

>none of them.

SMS did sign Justin Fuehrmeyer and Blake Ahearn, and SLU didn't. The last time I checked Blake lit SLU up and Justin and Lisch went toe to toe and came out pretty much even, I would give the edge to Justin since his team won. It is easy to score thirty and lose but to score thirty and win, now that is the player I want on my team.

I might be wrong, but you can recruit a player and be on in him early, without actually offering a scholarship...and we didn't lose out on blake ahearn because sms offered early, he didn't come because we never offered him.

"First of all you don't know what impact offering a kid early has."

No one does because it depends on the kid. What I do know is that SMS doesn't have any high major recruits on its roster and its not for lack of trying.

"But at least people know SMS is on the map."

What people?

"SLU needs to get on the map somehow. Whatever SMS is doing it is working."

I'll take our last two recruiting classes over Barry's any day.

"Now Stokes, Kiel and McNutt are players that having great summers and doing damage against the top talent in he country."

Stokes and McNutt are having nice summers but they aren't

"doing damage against the top talent in the country". They rarely get the opportunity to play the truly loaded AAU teams and when they do, like when Mean Streets played the Eagles at the Eagles Invitational, they have look like what they are -- mid-major players.

"I cannot think of one reason why those guys can't play at SLU and contribute to make the Bills better down the road."

Maybe they can. But there are an abundance of 5'7 point guards and 6'3 swingmen. There's no need to offer them so early.

"I am tired of talking about Leon Powell. What has he done to deserve early recruitment?"

He lead the #2 team in the state in scoring and rebounding. He's a 6'6 jumping jack with three point range. There's a shortage of those kind of players.

"SMS did sign Justin Fuehrmeyer and Blake Ahearn, and SLU didn't."

And if SMS continues to sign small, slow guards they will continue to finish 5th in the Valley. If those are truly the kinds of players that you believe will take us to the top of the A-10, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

orange julius said,

"I am tired of talking about Leon Powell. What has he done to deserve early recruitment?"

well there went your credibility.

when did fuehrmeyer and lisch play against each other?

i like fuehrmeyer. but he isnt kevin lisch.

3 star, to be accurate, i wouldnt put fuehrmeyer in the slow category. but he is small.

I saw Brandenburg play last Thurs. at the Vashon summer league. He looks like a nice young player with good mobility and a nice 10-12 foot shot in addition to some inside moves. Still, offering a scholarship to a high school freshman/soph sounds like desperation to me.

"If you offer a kid as a hs freshman and he doesn't progress, fails in his academics or gets into legal problems....you simply retract the offer!"

You don't offer a kid unless you intend to sign him. For example, Romar offered Ahearn and Brad retracted the offer. We've had friends of the Ahearn family bad-mouthing us ever since and one of them has a radio show. We have enough challenges recruiting without having to add to them.

>"If you offer a kid as a hs freshman and he doesn't

>progress, fails in his academics or gets into legal

>problems....you simply retract the offer!"

>

>You don't offer a kid unless you intend to sign him. For

>example, Romar offered Ahearn and Brad retracted the offer.

>We've had friends of the Ahearn family bad-mouthing us ever

>since and one of them has a radio show. We have enough

>challenges recruiting without having to add to them.

Adding to 3Star's point. Retracting offers pisses off just not the kid's parents and friends but, also, the high school and AAU coaches of the kid you pulled the offer from. It's about poisoning the well, your program's reputation in the community for honesty. IMHO, those are important downsides to consider.

But they're talking about pulling an offer because the recruit comes up short in academics or is a bad citizen. I'm sure most coaches can understand that. They're not talking about pulling an offer because the recruit doesn't develop athletically.

Perhaps the main reason for not extending a formal offer so early is the possibility of career-damaging injury. It's possible to recruit/be on a player for a long time but wait to extend the offer until his junior year to see what he'll do academically.

But what of the Bill Parcells theory of "if I'm the chef, shouldn't I be buying the ingredients?" While I don't really agree with all that that entails, how many of us (I know I have) have said you can't judge this coach or that coach until so many years with their players in their system? If Romar offerred Ahearn and he was sitting on it the fact that Brad rescinded it should not matter ... one has to agree that the Romar/Soderberg systems are different and maybe Brad didn't see in Ahearn what Romar did. Ben Franklin said you don't argue with someone who buys ink by the barrel so do you recruit or not recruit someone who has a radio show?

If Aheran wanted to come to SLU so bad ... no, if I wanted to come to SLU so bad and I had an offer in hand, boom, I jump on it. He didn't, Romar left, Brad say sayonara, and Ahearn is at SMU. You move on. There are no absolutes.