John Brandenburg update

for the sake of accuracy, ahearn was never offered by slu. romar wasn't excited about him, but brad was when he was the assistant. it was assumed that he would get the scholly when brad took over, but it never happened. brad did a 180 and didn't offer. that is what caused the bad feelings.

the person that brad reneged (sp?) on was tatum from helias. romar offered him and brad kept the offer on the table when he took over. jamal was ready to commit, but then the scholarship pulled it off the table to sign the morris kid from iowa western, who in turn could not get into school. that move really caused some serious hard feelings with some key basketball people in town and it may have been the biggest reason why we went 9=21 last year. to put it bluntly, brad f**ked up big time on that one. not only was tatum a talented point guard, but a 4.0 student from a catholic high school.

tatum will be a four-year starter at SIU and already is one of the top point guards in the league. he would have been the starter as a freshman with josh and reggie in a three-guard set and the starter as a sophomore with dwayne backing him up and getting valuable experience instead of having to be thrown into the fire as a freshman.

not having ahearn hurt as well because he could shoot, but his limits would have been decreased dramatically with kevin and tommie on board who are far better all-around players. blake would have been in the role of sniper, which i have a feeling dustin will become when he gets here. blake spent a lot of time on the bench at sms last year because he couldn't add much more than his shot.

we are now in the process of doing a better job with recruiting the local talent with what has happened the past two or three years, but those early mistakes cannot be repeated anymore. in the next three or four recruiting classes, there are good players in town that can help us win at a consistent level. the staff has to be diligent in looking at everybody. slu must be aggressive at recruiting at home all of the time becasue it is extremely difficult to get better talent from outside the area to come to slu on a consistent basis. just ask lorenzo romar.

bad boyz for life

I don't understand why people think it is wrong to pull an offer if a kid hasn't committed. The kid can accept the offer at anytime ... if he is still looking elsewhere why would he expect the school not to do the same.

The only mistake I think Brad made is not having a better understanding of Morris's academic situation. If he thought there was even a slight chance that Brandon wouldn't make it and the talent level was close ... he should have went with Tatum ... Now if he felt Brandon was a far superior player, I don't blame him for taking the gamble.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Pdiddy - interesting story about Tatum - I would agree that once Brad left the schollie on the table for Tatum he should have followed through. In defense of any new coach coming to a school - they should honor those that have been offered unless they immediately retract them upon being hired. Thanks for clarifying the Ahern thing - everyone has just talked blanketly about how Brad retracted the offer but if he was never offered then the whole scenerio makes more sense.

Skip, I do think you have somewhat of a point but it seems to me that what the coach should do is call the recruit that he has offered and say - I need to know right now if you are going to accept, if so then great - if not then let me know now because I have another opportunity available to me who has said if I offer he will accept. This approach seems fair to everybody.

I can see both sides ... but the kid is obviously still looking, so why shouldn't he expect the school will also be. By not accepting when offerred you are taking a chance that the school will find someone they like better. If you don't want to take that chance and that school is where you want to go than commit. If a kid has not given a committment, I would assume he has not made up his mind. I can see making the call ... but what if he wants the new kid who is about to commit more than he does the previous kid. Now what if the previous kid says ... I'll take it ... he is stuck with his 2nd choice. Bottom line the 1st kid should have accepted. If not the school has no choice but to continue to recruit and may find someone they like better. The nature of the beast.

Now on the other hand to pull an offer from a kid who has committed ... I don't think that should be done.

If you are not certain that you want the kid then why offer - sounds like all you are doing is shopping around figuring you can retun what ever you bought before if you find something else. Sorry, if you thought enough of a kid to offer than be a man and stand by it. By calling, at least you show some respect for the kid and are treating him more than just a commodity but as a person.

cheese, if your were a coach at any of the colleges in the state of Missouri you would have offered Tyler Hansborough during his soph-junior summer. Not to have done so would have been silly!

College coaches often offer multiple recruits at the same position a scholarship....on a first come-first served basis. It happens.

but you have no choice to keep shopping if the kid hasn't accepted. If you don't and he declines ... you are without. When you offer you hope he accepts ... but if he doesn't right away ... you have to cover your rear