Koch Update?

Taj79

Kingsbury posted on Jul 13 that Adam Koch was offered. Given that two weeks has passed, I take it that no updates mean the silence is NOT a good thing as far as we are concerned. Anybody know anything on this one?

"Koch confirmed Wednesday he has scholarship offers on the table from West Virginia, UW-Milwaukee, Saint Louis, Wichita State, Loyola of Chicago, St. Bonaventure, UW-Green Bay and Michigan Tech."

Mark Miller, Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook

Date: 07-13-2005

It is not uncommon for kids to get several offers and then to sit on them as they mull over their options - besides it is nice to feel wanted. Some schools offer even though they know they have only a slight chance in the hopes of raising their stock. After all, other schools could start pulling the offer after awhile and then the kid panics and a school low on his choice list gets lucky.

Talked to a D2 coach who was recruiting Koch up until spring. Koch started making major strides late in high school season and in spring ball. The coach knew he had lost him by mid spring and he would be at least a mid major D1 kid. He told me that in his opinion he was at least a MVC player.

SIU-C will be just fine in the long run.

As for Koch, he'll be tough to get away from Wisconsin-Madison, according to my WI sources. Bo Ryan likes to stockpile talent by bringing them in as walk-ons just to keep other schools from getting kids. Goes back to his days in D-3 and he's up to it again at Wisconsin.

SIU-C - take another look but I still think their program will start showing a decline."

I don't. Downstate Illinois is a very fertile area for MVC level recruits. And since SLU doesn't sign players from rural Missouri these days, they'll have access to those players too. The only way SIU goes downhill is if they hire the Valley version of Quin Shady.

I'll feel that way ONLY after we make a sweet sixteen (or better) run. This looking down on a mid-major conference stuff cracks me up. I don't want to be in the Valley BUT looking down on a program with SIU's success is just wrong, especially coming off of a losing season......

How can Bo Ryan stockpile kids by letting them "walk on?" Seems to me that short of the "cheer, cheer for old state U" connection, a kid would want to go somewhere he can and will play. Not to mention the financial implications of walking on and paying your own way versus a free ride somewhere else and what that means to a parent.

In your scenario, the only "reward" for the kid is practicing at old state U. No school. No meals. No books. No stipend. No playing time. That's one heck of a trade off.

this is what he did at UW-Platteville and he has already started doing at UW-Madison. Pearl did it at UW Milwaukee too (had 17 players on the roster). Sources of money are "found." Hell, one kid, Ricky Franklin just turned down other D-1 scholarship offers to walk-on at Madison (despite his 2.0/14 ACT). It's easier to walk-on at a public school than at a school like SLU so in-state kids are willing to do it.

I still think SIUC will show a decline - only time will tell. If you are correct then I will admit as so but lets wait 2-3 years and see where they are. Weber got lucky with some of his recruits panning out big time for him. It is really hard to continue having all the breaks go your way.

>Would depend on which team in the MVC was interested. To

>say Indiana State or SMS wants him then probably not. SIU-C

>- take another look but I still think their program will

>start showing a decline.

I have reason to believe the coach I talked to was thinking more along the lines of Northern Iowa from the MVC. He also said that koch might end up going higher than the MVC.

It is a possibility that Bo Ryan could offer Koch a situation that he would walk on for a number of years before earning a scholarship. Ryan offered Ryan Tillema 3 years on scholarship for 5 years in the program (Tillema would have to redshirt his first year). Tillema decided to take a full ride at UWGB. Btw, UWGB has offered Koch a 3 out of 4 year deal. They have no scholarship currently open. I suspect that will change by the end of the season.

In regards to Bo Ryan stockpiling players at Wisconsin. Due to Title IX concerns the men’s basketball program is limited by the university to either 13 or 15 (forget the actual number) players including walk ons.

I don't know if Ricky Franklin will end up playing at Wisconsin or not. He does have a chance but will have to take care of his academics. Franklin's guardian is a UW Regent, which is his in with university as much, or more than his basketball talents. His only D1 offer is from St. Francis in NY. Franklin said he always wanted to play for the Badgers.

The reasons kids might have been willing to walk on at Platteville with only a chance to play were 1) Four D3 national championships 2)the winningest coach at any level during the 90's 3) Bo Ryan never had a losing season after his very first in the mid 80's. If you were a Wisconsin kid being recruited by other D3 schools it would be similar to a D1 kid turning down Indiana St. for a chance to walk on at Duke and play for Coach K. The fact is that there were/are no scholarships in the D3 WIAC conference anyway.

SIU-C has had a great run with Weber, and Painter and Lowery's first year. Rich Herrin had a number of good years as well.

When a school changes its head coach's position often, normally one of two things happen. First, if a school has been middle of the road or less ( I think of Tennessee and all of their resources) evidently you would think one of their coaches would get a break on the recruiting trail and eventually have a winning program, even if it is only for 3-4 years.

Likewise, when a school with a recent strong winning tradition (like SIU-C) gets three head coaches in three or four years....you would think that the odds of all three of them being highly successful is pressing your luck. Things /luck turn in both directions....

Altman at Creighton has done this with a lot of success. One of the incoming freshmen Lane a 6'5" wing is walking on this year and redshirting and is then promised a scholarship for '06-07 season. He was actually offered a scholarship by Charlotte, but chose this route with Creighton instead. Also a player on the roster Hibma started the same way. I know walkons have earned scholarships in the past, not sure if they were promised like these two players during recruiting or not.

N Iowa is setting up a very good program. They had the freshman of the year in MVC last year and also have an early commitment from an impressive hs jr to be that is a 7 footer Englser--something like that, was mentioned in one of the recruiting threads earlier. They are getting enough talent in place there where they should be a winning program for a good run now.

>D1 men have 13 scholarships to offer. D1 women can give 15

>scholarships.

>I have never heard the "walk-ons" being limited in number!

They are at Wisconsin. It has something to do with Title IX compliance. The women's basketball program can have more walk ons. Schools with footbal programs have a large disparity in number of athletes by gender. The schools have to get creative as to how they will comply. Bo Ryan has been lobbying to increase the number on by two. In the past few seasons because of injuries and how scholarship numbers have worked out former assistants Rob Jeter and Tony Bennett became practice players as well as coaches.