Ms. Levick's monthly message

Lobo

Again, the original Nark quote:

"will essentially generate zero revenue."

"A lot" is an amorphous term. It will certainly generate about as much "a lot" as will SLU's arena if you take away the men's basketball revenue.

And let's not forget that the current plan calls for at least some of the SLU arena to be paid for by publicly-backed revenue bonds, whose assumptions of "incremental tax revenues" haven't exactly been explained yet.

PS: It appears that the "greater than" sign doesn't display well on this board, hence the edit.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the past few years it is true that Marquette has had high attendance but I have a good UW buddy that jokes the only difference between a Bucks game and a Marquette game is a different court. Lack of a quality band and mostly hip-hop music during timeouts are the primary reasons. I know Marquette grads that'll tell you they prefered it when they played at the Mecca because it was cozier.

I take it your check for the brick hasn't been written yet?

>is going to generate a lot of revenue from womens basketball

>and volleyball games?

It doesn't have to, because they were able to raise enough to fully endow all operating costs in perpetuity. The cost of the facility was $31 million, $35 million was raised for it.

SLU is taking out a loan of $35 million which will have to be paid back just to be able to build the thing - where do they pay for operating costs if all revenues have to go to repaying that loan?

I'm not the only who has heard or has reason to believe this. Come to Harris-Stowe on Thursday and/or Friday and ask students/teachers who they heard/told was responsible for the racial grafitti spray painted all over the campus.

I can host a womens basketball game and if 200 people show up and pay $5 to get in I can show revenue of $1,000. In the grand schem of an athletic dept budget I consider that to be essentially 0, especially if I would have had the same attendance at whatever facility they used to play at.

Now if the milwaukee community somehow decides that they want to attend these sporting events solely because of the facility, i'll credit that as new revenue.

It is hearsay, but why is everyone so quick to defend SLU though. It could be false, but it could be true. People just dont want to believe things are possible these days. That's why all these abused kids have to wait 20 years to get the courage to tell everyone they were abused as a child because people just didnt want to believe it. Another case of people not believing something else bad that happened http://stlamerican.com/articles/2005/06/17...localnews02.txt

People do bad things all the time, even people you think you know.

you are the only person i have heard accuse saint louis university for such an act. to even think that an institution would be a party to such an act is not only idiotic, it shows you are not socially capable of seeing the world accurately. sure some immature slu student might have done the act, but your assertions are of the content that it was propogated by saint louis university in an effort to take control of harris stowe college. that accusation is off base and insulting to saint louis university and anyone ever associated with saint louis university.

unless you are going to start a new thread and formally apologize to not only saint louis university, but to saint louis university alumni, current students, and boosters everywhere, i hope you leave this board and never come back. you are not worthy of posting on these boards until you do.

i have never advocated banning anyone from these boards. i even defended the evil triangle's right to post his nonsense. but your post accusing saint louis university as you have is as wrong as anything ever posted here.

and what now you want to tie pastorial child abuse to saint louis university? you need to shut your typewriter down now. you are wrong and if you cant admit it, go away.

is a tricky thing.

Lets say the arena helps produce a team that gets us to the NCAA tournaments one more year out of every 3? What is an NCAA tourney birth worth? what is it worth in national exposure much less alumni contributions to both the AD and other areas? What if attendence is increased by 2,000 fans?

You think $4mm will cover the marquette operating expenses in perpetuity? I have no sense what it costs to operate a practice facility annually but in order to protect the inflation adjusted value of that $4mm and with the expected real return of equity averaging only 3-4% these days it would have to cost less than $160,000 to work (4% X $4mm). That seems low to me but maybe its right. Maybe Crean will chip in part of his salary to cover the difference!

I never said the school did it. I said that it was believed to be SLU students who committed the act. Way to twist my words. I won't apologize for being misquoted. And Saint Louis University has been trying to buy up the Harris-Stowe campus.

you did not say that students did it.

you said, "The school

(not students)

buys up as much property as it can. The school

(not students)

keeps trying to buy the property across the street known as Harris-Stowe State University; formerly Harris-Stowe State College, but the President Dr. Henry Givens keeps fighting and will continue to fight until "eminent domain" forces him to do otherwise. Did you hear about the intimidation incident where they

(you still havent mentioned students anywhere and it is even in the same paragraph, thus, imo, "they" again refers to "the schoool")

sprayed the n-word and other racial slurs on the Harris-Stowe entry way, bus stop, and buildings. Maybe that didnt make your news, but it did happen. Police believe the guilty party was affiliated with St. Louis University. The school has tons of money.

(again inferring that the school did or bought the deed)

now apologize or get the hell out of our board forever. whether you realize it or not, this is a very tight cyber community that is centered on one thing. our love and loyalty to saint louis university and in particular the billikens. i know i for one do not want anyone coming in making accusations against the school that are totally wrong and lies that can potentially do major damage to the school's reputation. for you to actually believe such a deed is akin to social retardation on your part. and if you are not civil enough to understand what grave social injustice you have committed today and then stand up and do the right thing, is a deed that cannot be washed away. again, you need to apologize for what you said immediately or else leave our community.

what apparently is hard for you to understand is that you lied about saint louis university and insinuated that they conspired in this supposed vandalism at harris stowe.

what you might have meant to say (somehow i doubt it) and what you did say are two very different things. until you apologize i can guarantee you that you have now created a huge enemy in me. you want to be a part of the billiken community and be accepted my all of the regular posters here, i suggest you admit your mistake, and beg forgiveness, otherwise, i know you arent welcome here as far as i am concerned and i promise you i will pick apart every thing you mess up here going forward. do the right thing or else leave.

I'm not going to apologize until you apologize for saying "supposed vandalism." If its not vandalism, what do you call it? Thats just wrong. It did happen. Call up the news right now and they'll tell you about it. Go ahead, since you're so sure it didnt happen.

Interesting that we pretty much see the same ol same ol folks that continue to dog SLU's Arena. Wonder if they will set foot in it once it has been built? I can guarantee you that I will attend games once it becomes a reality.

If I along with the news reporters were wrong about SLU being involved how come no one from SLU came forward to dispell the rumors. If someone tried to spray paint slurs on the SLU buildings, some security guard would've caught them, but those same security guards saw nothing while the buildings across the street were being vandalized. The students at Harris-Stowe do believe that kids from SLu are responsible. Its not just me and i will continue to think so until someone proves me otherwise. Why hasn't this crime been solved yet? Will SLU again being using the Harris-Stowe gym for basketball practice? Anybody know?

We need an on campus arena. The atmosphere will be better just by virtue of the size and location. Walking to the games from your dorm room is great It will be great to get large numbers of Alumni and St. Louisans on campus and see the changes and perhaps get them involved in other things.

I want a building that is ours. I want a building that is Blue and White and has pictures of Billiken Greats in the passageways. I want our team to practice in the same place they play. I want the new Arena.

On the other note, VCHIP I lived in a fraternity house down Forest Park we did some crazy stuff. We once chopped up a couch threw it out the window and then set it on fire. I don't know of any SLU student that would do what you said. Not saying there is not someone out there that could of. However, to suggest that they were representing the University is rediculous.