Ms. Levick's monthly message

Lobo

I don't know about the rest of you but I have been disappointed with most of her messages. She certainly has provided information re: the NCAA and other external infomation, but rather skimpy on inside news regarding SLU.

I'm sure she is working very hard and making progress, but I would like to hear about what is happening. Maybe she is operating under a "gag order" which seems to exist within the athletic department.

I'm neither faulting her as much as expressing my frustration nor suggesting that she provide speculatory information in attempts to satisfy the hungary fans.

Hopefully it will be an active summer and her August message will provide some information on the teams, fund-raising, the arena and the A-10.

"Anxious in Albuquerque"

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the arena will happen. However, what are the donors thinking when they are now realizing there will be no coaches offices in the facility. 77 million to construct a state-fo-the-art facility with no coaches offices; does not make any sense at all. I know Brad and Shimmy are not happy with this architectural flaw!

No coaches offices in the new facility leads me to believe the good Father is not the shrewd business man some people think he is.

I was also in West Pine watching games the other day and the floor has two different colors of blue on it. When they repainted the lanes and placed the A10 logo under the free-throw line, we ended up with a bright blue. I have been told the outside of the court will remain the dull, faded blue. I realize the men do not play their games in their, but what message do we send when the A10 volleyball teams come in and see how stupid and unprofessional this looks. This is an institution of class, and that court does not resemble it at all. Only thing that needs to be said is, "You never get a second chance to make a first impression!"

saw the same thing. The lanes were simply repainted.

By the way, any chance of a new court at Savvis? We've had that one how long? Most teams replace their courts every 4-5 years. We're royal blue, not navy, and "Saint Louis University" should be more prominent. I do like the Billiken spinning the ball, but he should be bigger.

I am sitting here looking at a set of plans that provides for Men's and Women's coaches offices so I am sure that such offices are included in the building. What I do not know is how that space is to be allocated. Each set of offices is about 530 square feet. If this is to hold all of the offices for all sports then basketball would probably need additional office space in another building. the area fro strength and conditioning and Sports Medicine is 6,175 square feet. I cannot imagine that Brad has not raised the issue on the offices if he feels strongly about it. I have been in several meetings with brad in attendance and where the area has been discussed. Brad never said a word about any complaints. To the contrary, he has he effusive in his praise of the building and how much it will help us in recruiting, etc.

There are plans for new offices to house both programs. However, Father Biondi expects to "ADD" those offices at a later date. What good is a new facility if there is no coach's offices for each staff to perform their duties? This entire thing smells of a "Cash Cow" for the Father. Put a floor down on game day; any other time, the arena will be rented to an outside organization to generate money. What good does this do for our student-athlete? I'm not entirely sold on the notion that the student-athlete is our number one priority.

you are posting on internet boards way to much kid.

coach K's armour is starting to get some chinks.

william avery left early

cory maghetti left early, actually never even eligible

elton brand

jason williams

chris carrawell player 4 yrs, never finished school at duke

mike dunleavy

looks like his record is real spotless.

While I don't agree with that philosophy, you are correct. However, at the rate we are going with our arena project and the fact that as time moves on, more cuts are being made in the original design, it proves to me that the higher-ups do not understand the importance of this building.

We are expecting Brad to compete within the top 50 while he receives a budget that does not equal most other schools and his team has no true home. The recruits see this when they come on campus: they are in West Pine six days a week and in the building formerly known as Savvis one day a week.

Nobody cares about the women's team because they have consistently produced losing seasons. However, they are a representation of this University and the more successful they are, the better the department looks. There is no way they are on equal ground in the recruiting battles.

Don't half-a$$ this project. If it's worth doing right, then do it right the first time! Do not come in five years later to add coach's offices and a practice faciltiy.

problack, perhaps you havent heard of duke's now famous sociology program? wake up and smell the coffee about coach k and his integrity.

>There are plans for new offices to house both programs.

>However, Father Biondi expects to "ADD" those offices at a

>later date. What good is a new facility if there is no

>coach's offices for each staff to perform their duties?

>This entire thing smells of a "Cash Cow" for the Father.

Cash cow?? Considering the plan is the BORROW half of the construction costs and then pay that off over many, many years though currently non-existant revenue streams (arena football, boxing and wrestling matches) it's not a cash cow, it's another Biondi ego trip - a monument to himself in an attempt to out do the other Jesuit schools who have new facilities.

...and apply some of your fine Jesuit accounting education, counselor.

"Opened in October 2003, the $31 million practice and play facility features a 4,000 seat arena and full-size practice gym, strength and conditioning area, sports medicine and athletic training areas, coaches’ offices, team locker room and lounge, and academic center."

Somehow I bet the 4,000 seat arena is used for many teams besides Men's BB, and might even be said to generate some of the mythical revenue that will allegedly come from circuses, rodeos, Roller Derby and a stop on the Rolling Stones tour that we're certain to get once we build the SLU arena.

And then there's that whole maintenance thang. I'm guessing $1-2M annually base maintenance for our new arena; I'm thinking Marquette ends up paying a lot less than that for the McGuire Center.

And finally, at least Marquette now has a new "full-size practice gym...coaches' offices...and academic center." $70M from now, it looks like we won't even have that.

actually, Marq. was able to raise enough money to fully endow operating expenses for the McGuire Center in perpetuity - they'll never have to budget for operating expenses.

Plus, look at what else the McGuire Center has - 4000 seat arena (which has led to camps and some all-star games being held there and talk about HS tourney games), full practice gyms for both men's and women's teams, offices for all athletics staff, new study hall, state of the art film facilities, one of the only hydrotherapy training rooms in the country (when built only the Cleveland Browns had a similar facility). All at a cost of less than half of what SLU will spend on an arena. I think SLU should do the same (unless they could raise the entire $70 million then it would be debt-free and my objections would be withdrawn).

Now, you can point to Xavier having built a new arena, the difference is that Xavier had to move from the ancient Cincy Gardens and the facility also contains a convocation center and student cafetria. We have access to a fine place to play our games. I would also like to add that in an ideal world Marq. would have built their own arena, but the fact is that, like SLU, they didn't need if for the men's team and the McGuire Center fit exactly what Marq. needed. Since building the McGuire Center too the volleyball and women's hoops have improved recruiting big-time. Our women's hoops and V-ball coaches are hard workers capable of success, but have a huge hurdle to overcome with West Pine.

kid that is the most ignorant thing I have ever read about SLU.

you show just how stupid you really are.

SLU number doesn't have millions to waste on projects.

the university can afford to do many things, but pi$$ing money away is not one of them.

I am all for world class facilities for athletics, especially the major revenue sports.

keep in mind genius that SLU is a private school.

Alumni give that school millions of dollars every year. The school buys up as much property as it can. The school keeps trying to buy the property across the street known as Harris-Stowe State University; formerly Harris-Stowe State College, but the President Dr. Henry Givens keeps fighting and will continue to fight until "eminent domain" forces him to do otherwise. Did you hear about the intimidation incident where they sprayed the n-word and other racial slurs on the Harris-Stowe entry way, bus stop, and buildings. Maybe that didnt make your news, but it did happen. Police believe the guilty party was affiliated with St. Louis University. The school has tons of money.