new 2006 names

Got the new Prepstars today.Here`s some new names with SLU listed

6-4 Ben Hansbrough Poplar Bluff,MO(So.Ill,SLU,and Dayton)

6-3 wg DeAngelo McIntosh Chicago-Julian(DePaul,SLU,Louisville,Marquette,SIU,and Northwestern)

6-5 wf Sanjay Watts Jennings,MO(SLU,NIU,Bradley,and Drake)

Didn't coach tell Maguire he wouldn't recruit anymore SG/WGs in the 2006 class? I'll be interested to see how Ben H. fairs in 2005-2006 with big brother gone which no more collapsing defenses (from which Ben got a ton of clean looks from the perimeter).

Ben Hansborough is a combo guard so I don't see any conflict there. Watts is a 6'4 205 lb power forward -- his list looks more like wishful thinking than anything else. Haven't seen McIntosh but a glance at the Illinois recruiting sites indicates that he's a rail-thin 6'4 high flier with no jumper -- doesn't sound like a Soderberg recruit to me.

I think Hansborough will be a pg at D1.

Watts is definetely a PF. He is very undersized but he gets the job done. SLU probably won't recruit him but it would not shock me if he could play somewhere in D1 and be a decent player. Illini made it to the final four with a 6'5 PF so you never know. Watts knows how to get the ball in the basket. We will see how he responds to paying without fellow big man Akins this year.

i do not think watts will be a d-1 pf. my question effective can he be converting to a wing? love did it. who knows. now would i roll the dice on that? not unless we just have no one else to give a scholarship to.

watts reminds me of the banks kid at illinois-chicago. in high school he was a man without a position as well. he has done very well at the next level.

If a guy can play he can play regardless whether he's 6'4" or 6'8". A lot of good undersized PF's come to mind, Barkley, the kid from IL, and I think Badsen played some at Charlotte when Withers sat down. If a kids a well built 6'4"-6'5" got a nose for the ball I don't see any problems with a short pf.

I hear what all you are saying but I am not interested in playing as small of pf as some of you are suggesting. I realize that being 6'6" or 6'5" is not the be all to end all but I would hope we are recruiting kids that size who also have a nose for the ball also.

Loved Donnie Dobbs ... ran into him after a tournament game at the White Castle near I-75 in Cincinnati. Guy was hungry.

I'd like to think that Dobbs' situation played well into his hands and worked for him. With Claggett, Highmark, Waldman and others bombing from the outside, it opened the lane for Dobbs to work some magic. I believe that if Dobbs palyed on some recent Billiken teams ... teams that couldn't shoot worth a damn ... his interior space would be limited and make it a little harder for him toattain what he did in the situation he was working.

I hope we are looking for 6'6 230 lb scrappers instead of 6'4 205 lb scrappers as well. We can always find exceptions to any trend. Pointing out 4-5 exceptions when there are hundreds of 6'4 stud high school power forwards over the same period who didn't cut the D-1 mustard doesn't change the trend.

Watts list is not wishful thinking. He's a legit D1 prospect. He plays the pf in high school because he can manhandle the competition,but he can play the sf and some sg in in limited duty. He plays the sf during AAU and showed a nice mid-range jumper this past season. He plays the sf on Gameface, which as Adrian Clayborn and Brian Roach starting on the inside. Watts is an excellent on ball defender. He flat out gets buckets. Being undersized wont stop him at all, because he scores most of his buckets by making quick moves in the paint, then he uses the power moves when his team absolutely has to have a bucket. Like someone else said on this topic, If a guy can play, he can play.

... making the jump from VTIME defending this guy to comparing him to Curtis Withers. I believe there are a number of times where the scouts are wrong and kids blossominto diamonds in the rough. Happens so often that I don't think that's in dispute.

What is in dispute here is VTIME's insistence that there are so many of these "sleepers" floating around the St. Louis metro area that we could stock an adequate Saint Louis U. roster with them. I don't buy that for a minute and have agreed to disagree with that logic. the folks he mentions as success stories are limited at best.

Watts lists Northern Illinois, Bradley and us along with a fourth I can't remember. While they are all listed as Division I schools, I would offer that they are not. If the kid can play, the kid can play and should get looks.

But once again, I believe that Soderberg, Thorpe, Beane and Grunkemeyer are in amuch better position to evaluate not only the talent, but the needs of their ball club and recruit accordingly.

You can't offer to all of them and certainly not going to get all of them. And I sincerely believe that the schools that are listed by a certain kid ... are listed BY THAT KID more than they are by the schools doing the recruiting.

taj, sure it is an extreme comparison using withers. but my point to problack is to point out that an above average high school player that is likely a college tweener at best and is definitely a questionable division one player at the next level, isnt as grand as he is trying to sell. withers is the power forward we are hoping obi wan becomes, a 6'4" 200 lb high school junior is not likely to become that.