Darren Clarke transferring?

BLIKNS

Seen a post over at www.minnesotapreps.com (basketball board) and there is a post ,that has a report saying Darren is transferring.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/513/5334314.html

If he leaves does that mean that we have three open scholarships to fill?

Here is the article copy and pasted. The part about clarke is at the bottom.

Men's basketball: McKenzie to leave Oklahoma

Jeff Shelman, Star Tribune

April 7, 2005 MCAG0407

Former Minneapolis Henry star guard Lawrence McKenzie, who helped lead the Patriots to four consecutive state titles, is leaving the men's basketball program at Oklahoma.

"He kind of felt like he was playing out of position and a few other things," said Larry McKenzie, Lawrence's father and high school coach. "He just decided he wanted to, you know, make a change."

McKenzie is still awaiting his release from Oklahoma, but his father said the school has indicated it will be granted.

"One of the things that's going to be key is being closer to home," Larry McKenzie said.

"We're going to be looking at rosters and seeing who has [point guards]."

Coming out of Henry, McKenzie selected Oklahoma over the Gophers, Nebraska, UNLV and Wisconsin. The Gophers have two scholarships available. McKenzie will have to sit out next season but will have two years of eligibility remaining.

McKenzie, who averaged 9.5 points per game and made 43.5 percent of his three-pointers this season, didn't see his role expand as a sophomore. He started only six games as a sophomore after starting 20 as a freshman.

McKenzie reached double figures in 16 games this season for the Sooners, who lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament. He scored 18 points in Oklahoma's victory over Connecticut and had 16 in a late-season victory over Texas.

Clarke leaving St. Louis

McKenzie isn't the only Twin Cities player looking for a new school. Former Hopkins star Darren Clarke is going to transfer from St. Louis.

Clarke, a 6-4 guard, played in only 10 games this season as a sophomore for the Billikens.

Jeff Shelman is at [email protected].

I viewed it differently. Xavier price hooped with and against Lisch and Liddell for years. I think he may be excited about reconnecting with his hold rivals. With Clarke leaving and Drejaj graduating, there will be plenty of PT to go around.

Plus, I think you are incorrect about Price leaving over PT. He started as a freshmen for Purdue much of the season.

I don't think he would transfer because of playing time alone, it has to be more..If he was concerned about playing time, all he has to do his talk to the coach, now based on what Coach says probably helped in his decision making. That's a big step to leave from being on a full scholarship, not knowing if they're other scholarship offers out there, I'm sure he at least discussed this with the coach. I thought DC played very well when he was in, I thought he would be an asset to the team even with the new guys coming in. If he wanted to stay, the school can't take his scholarship right?, so I'm thinking its more to do with what he and coach discussed.

but he has never outplayed liddell head-to-head in the games i viewed as well.

price is a fantastic athlete, we could do a lot worse if we sign a wing. but i just dont see him as a brad soderberg fit.

actually if you go to the espn site and pull up purdue's schedule and click on the games, you will see that price's playing time decreased as the season went on and by year end he had games he didnt even get in the game. he obviously is not on painter and keady's good side.

>I viewed it differently. Xavier price hooped with and

>against Lisch and Liddell for years. I think he may be

>excited about reconnecting with his hold rivals. With

>Clarke leaving and Drejaj graduating, there will be plenty

>of PT to go around.

>

>Plus, I think you are incorrect about Price leaving over PT.

> He started as a freshmen for Purdue much of the season.

I agree Nark. I think there would be a role for him here. I think we'll be playing a lot of three guard lineups going forward. It would also be nice to have one more prominent local player on our roster.

that wouldnt surprise me. if the rumblings are true that clarke is leaving, imo that speaks more from the standpoint that we are full up with guards and pt is spoken for. he needs to find inside guys or save em up.

1) player is not getting much playing time and wants more elsewhere

2) player has become to "big-time" for his current school and wants better competition

3) player flunks out

4) player dislikes coach

5) coach needs scholarship and pushes player out

Rarely is it one reason only but I think it is quite possible we have a blend of 1, 4 and 5 from above. Maybe DC goes to Brad after the season ends and the following happens:

DC: I'm hoping to get more playing time next year.

Brad: Its going to be difficult since only one guard graduated this year (and he was hurt much of the season) and we are bringing in two kids who I expect to contribute immediately.

DC: Will I ever start at SLU?

Brad: Honestly, I think it is unlikely.

DC: Could I start at a different school, perhaps in the Horizon league?

Brad: Probably. They would surely offer you a scholarship, but you will have to sit out a year.

DC: OK, I think I want to transfer.

Brad: I'll get the papers for you to sign.

i could see that scenario playing out as well. I think clarke can play and it has to be frustrating for daren to continue to sit.

price is maybe 6'3". joe's brother was married to his x's mother when he was still alive, however milton wiley was not x's father.

my son saw clarke going to class this morning. so he is still on campus. of course i would finish my semester if i was clarke as well even if i was intending on transferring.

it is a shame that we didnt get a women's coach hired immediately to make a run at trying to convince mia to stay. the best talent the women's program ever brought to slu is being allowed to walk away. that is wrong.