Does Billy Packer

bother anyone else as much as me? Seems he never makes a comment other than to criticize the moves the coaches make, or the players efforts on the floor. The UK big man, Morris, comes over to help when a State player is driving to the basket, the player misses, the man Morris was covering gets the rebound and puts it in. Immediately he is on Morris for helping out and not staying with his man. I'm sure if the player made the bucket on the drive, he would have criticized Morris for not helping out.

He has the gift of gab and whatever happens on the court he frames it such that the players/coaches are not as smart as he.

On the throw in at the end of the game, he was certain that UK was going to throw it to Hayes. Instead the guard runs the length of the court and puts it in uncontested. Immediately he blabs that it took too much time, that a pass would have saved 1.5 seconds off the clock. If the pass had been stolen, I'm certain he would have critcized the passer.

He should be canned! Immediately. He detracts from the enjoyment of the game.

mhg

... but if it ain't that style, its Dukie V. or Rambling Raftery talking almost gibberish. And with Fudge Packer and Dukie V. its the ACC bay-bee and the rest is hamburger. I suspect, however, that no matter who it is we'd still be hollerin' for change. I was that way with Cosell. I was that way with Musberger. And I'm getting tired of Theisman and the fat guy next to him. Frnakly, even John Madden gets old.

What a weekend with three OT games though. I thouhgt of the Elite Eight, only Kentucky didn't impress me much. At the end of tonight, they had no shooters on the floor and that hurt. For as great and Rondo seems to be instinctively, he exhibit a terrible shooting ability tonight.

I was really surprised with Kentucky at the end of both overtimes. Rondo, who the announcers kept raving about, seemed to just stand around, like the rest of the Kentucky team. I believe that one possession near the end of one of the first overtime he kept the ball all of that possession, or nearly all, and ended up driving and taking a wild shot. They deserved to lose in the end.

Billy Packer should be going...going...going...gone. He is such an ACC lackey it's unbelievable CBS keeps him around. For a guy who didn't coach that long, it's amazing he's considered an authority by anyone. I'll bet if you gave him UNC right now they'd struggle. Dukie V at least is somewhat entertaining...kind of like the Max Patimkin of college hoops.

Packer has compromising photos of CBS executives. I am yet to meet anybody that likes him and thinks he's good. How he can still have a job is amazing. Whats even more amazing is during final four games all he does is criticize and talk about the mistakes that were made. These are the best four teams in the country Billy! The positives likely outweigh the negatives.

I normally find myself during a billy fudge packer game getting crabby. he always seems to have such a negative attitude and out to get the guys that are losing or messing up that it is like watching the game with "bad luck schleprock". any success packer had in the past is surely pinned to whomever was his partner. if you think about it, he was the perfect guy to match up with loose cannon al mcguire. as packer's realism balanced some of mcguire's wild thoughts thus creating a nice tandem. however, with nance, it is all about billy now. i would have buried packer with mcguire if i was cbs.

I don't mean this in a bad way...but I have always held the belief that Billy Packer is clinically depressed. I think I am very objective when it comes to announcers...Packer does at least pay attention to the game closely...strike one for Vitale. imo Packer over-analyzes the game...on television, I don't need constant commentary...he goes overboard. He also is too combative and too negative for my taste. The Rudy Martzke's of the world love him.

I was extremely impressed with Jay Bilas. ...especially for never getting a shot at big games before....after he had started in a 3 man booth with Raftery. Raftery is positive, extremely likeable, sure he makes some mistakes...but that likeability and non bias compensates well for him. Vitale is a classic want to hear himself talk...he doesn't listen for information, rather he already has his response ready and can't wait to jump in...which obviously rubs many the wrong way. I enjoy Jimmy Dykes, though thought it wasn't his best season. Really preferred him with Carpenter.

It shows you have to be patient...Steve Lavin has to be most improved...I remember when he couldn't spit out a sentence on tv...he is dramatically improved....and if you ever get the chance terrific on radio shows etc...I am hopeful this will happen with Rick Majerus....Majerus has a otugh time spitting things out on tv...but his knowledge is a ton. He just has a hard time with tv so far. I hope he works at it.