Anyone go to the Dinner at the MAC west???? nm

Basketbill

It was a good time. All of the fall and winter coaches spoke and fielded questions. I think Brad felt that Roy must have been in attendance. He praised the play of Ian. Said that Ian would be a --great center in the A 10. Also praised the play of Luke Meyer,saying that Meyer is a really good offensive player and would figure very prominently in next years guard rotation. Luke had a really good practice yesterday and I would guess will get early min. at East Carolina. Likes Polk a lot,feels the 3 pt. shot will come. Feels Dwayne has not adopted to the Savis backdrop. Said that Dreja needs to improve his game this summer or he will lose his spot in the rotation. Only wants to play a 5 guard rotation and Darren Clark can't beat out Meyer or Brown for that last spot. Somebody else may remember more.

clarke should have transferred at xmas. he is a good athlete and in the wrong place at the wrong time and it isnt going to get better for him numberswise.

i hope brad is correct on polk and ian. if so, we are in for a lot of good times the next few year!

i am thrilled that meyer is gaining confidence and the coaches are recognizing it. i have been a luke meyer fan from day one.

as much as i have defended drejaj, there is no doubt he got passed by this year. it appears to me he didnt improve a bit on any aspect of his game and deserves to be "challenged" by the coaches or else. right now i wouldnt expect him to play much at all next year as one would think the pecking order is polk, brown, lisch, liddell and apparently meyer. thus leaving drejaj and clarke out in the cold.

I attended practice yesterday (monday) and noticed what a bad year does to fan support as I was the only one there- that was a first. Regarding some of the players mentioned by Brad, Ian, I thought had just an average practice including getting stuffed under the basket when he should have gone up strong and dunked the ball ( if he can), also, he continues to dribble the ball after an off. rebound instead of going right back up or kicking it out. Twice he lost the ball by bringing it down so the Coach and I saw a different IV at the practice. AD's shot was just awful throughout practice and he plays really rough, making a couple of flagrant fouls, so I don't expect to see him much next year. DC looked VERY good, I can't understand why he is not getting minutes-he made several nice 3 pt shots. Polk looked much more confident and was playing really tough defense, something I have not seen earlier in the year

Let's extend the streak to 4 this week. Based on what I saw I think we can do it.

willie covered things well. Brad pleased with IV's progress. Thinks IV could be an all-conference center in the A10. Brad sees a more confident IV since Ian has inherited TF starting position. Likes Polk's ability to bounce back everyday with a very positive attitude. Polk is slowly becoming a team leader. Polk's scoring problems stem from a huge step-up in competition (PHL vs C-USA)and has had difficulty shooting against the Savvis backdrop. Meyer practicing well. Brad stated LM had a very good offensive mind and expects big things from Luke over his career. Brad stated that Clarke isn't that far off the performance level of other five guards. However, Brad wants to stay with a 5-guard rotation. Brad repeated his strong thinking that you win big with veteran players and just has to grow his roster that way. A regular heavy dose of jucos doesn't work in the long run. Brad mentioned other players as well and is very optimistic about the future. SLU is going to be very selective with its last two scholarships.

Well, yes, Cheryl mentioned the arena. Nothing specific about when it can get started. She said she receives at least one check in the mail every day. Readers: have you sent yours? If you are interested in getting on board with the tip-off club arena project to fund coaches lockers, please let me know. We have a good start, but can use your help. Let's be boosters. [email protected]

At the Tip Off Club meeting this month, Dribbler (past president of the group) suggested a 5 year commitment of $1,000/year. I will leave it to him to reveal the level of interest to date. I know there has been positive reaction. Contact him at the email addy above and he can get a pledge card to you.

I like that this contribution is from the major booster organization for Billiken basketball. Working in concert will increase our influence down the road.

mhg

Not the same - the Tipoff Club has a history way longer than the Billiken Club, and only applies to basketball. They are now under the "umbrella" of the Billiken Club - that is, they do not have their own treasury and all activities should be seen as an extension of the Billiken Club. I think this concept is now everywhere across the nation - the schools no longer wanted booster clubs that were outside the compliance umbrella for the programs.

but you cannot write a check to "the tipoff club" and it only go to the basketball program. i.e. they are now the same thing.

I'm asking. The tip off club, as unca states down the thread, has been around long before the billiken club was dreamed up. We are the ones meeting at Humphrey's monthly, and talk hoops with coaches of both men's and women's teams. The coaches are very faithful to our group, hence the concept of funding their lockers. 70K is the goal. 14 pledges of 5K (over 5 years) will do it. I can't imagine in a large group of boosters why that's not reachable. Can't do 5K? Do what is within your comfort zone. email me and I'll explain how to get it done. Thanks. And, oh yes, the points will move you closer when we do move in. [email protected]

i have been meaning to e-mail you about this, but thought it might also be worthy to see this discussion for all us relatively small time boosters. if you dont agree, and would rather not put it on the board, let me know and i will indeed e-mail you instead.

my question is this: my wife and i indeed do donate every year to the billiken club and anita has matching gift benefits via tenet. so whatever we get ends up doubling.

i have to admit, my main motivation for donating has always been to increase my points which will escalate my standings in the billiken club and when the change in venue finally happens, i can maintain my nice seats or at least come close to holding off as many johnnie come latelys.

here is my question. if i am not going to increase my donation (i do have a kid at slu and tuition is going up again, plus for for some reason my wife wants to live in a house.)would i be better off just making the annual minimum billiken club donation and then taking the rest of the money that i have been gifting the billiken club and earmarking that for the locker funding project? or would the billiken club rather i just continue to give the same donation to the billiken club? what would be better for the club? what would be better for my points?