Polk, Charlotte, Arena, Recruits...

davidnark

1. Good to see Ian, JJ, and Brown playing so well last night against Charlotte. All three will have roles next season. It was great to see Danny and JJ displayed their athleticism on several occasions last night. I am the only one who would like to see Brown play ahead of Drejaj and JJ play ahead of Newborne?

2. Dwayne Polk is one of my favorite Billikens, and I have been following him closely for almost four years. However, he needs to improve his shooting, scoring, and defense if we are going to be very good over the next few years. I have seen enough of his high school games to know that he can do similar things on the court to Dee Brown of Illinois (Disclaimer: I am not implying that he is or will ever be as good as Dee Brown). Thus far, Dwayne has been a bit of a disappointment in my mind. I am crossing my fingers that he will have a few breakout games over the next month or two. We need for Dwayne to go into next season on a roll.

3. I still am of the belief that this team is, in part, the victim of Brad's desire to switch the style of play to better suit players we won't have until next season. Part of the reason I am moderately excited about JJ's and Danny Brown's play is that they have the skill sets to fit that system.

4. Regarding the arena project, I was told a month or so ago that mid-November through mid-January was going to be the key period for finalizing details with potential big donors. Ms. Levick stated that there was a board meeting in late January at which she would present the state of the fundraising, and the board would then decide whether to break ground. Ms. Levick has also told us that SLU needed to raise an additional $15 million plus to break ground. This is speculation, but I think it is more than a coincidence that several of the anticipated big fundraising sources are on the board. Is there an understanding that these individuals and corporations will close the fundraising gap following this meeting? If so, it would make a lot of sense of the bizarre circumstances regarding this whole arena fundraising situation. A list of the board of trustees is available at http://www.slu.edu/pr/trustees.html Off the top of my head, I know that the following companies (and their wealthy principals) are on the board: Apex Oil, JS Alberici, Clayco, Anheuser-Busch, Drury Hotels, McCormick Baron, and the three largest law firms in St. Louis.

5. Who in the world are we recruiting with our last two scholarships? Does anyone have any names or ideas? It is mind boggling how close to the vest this staff plays their recruiting cards.

I agree with everything you have said but think we should be starting

IV, IO, DB, RB, DP ... with JJ filling in at the 4 with IO moving inside when IV rests and when IO rests.

DP and DB both need to improve their perimiter shot.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

David,

With regards to Polk while I have not seen him play...I have seen Tim Smith play as a Frosh (E TN Lightning Quick PG)...I was hoping that he would be similar to Master Smith.

Fund raising in a year that the teams record takes a dive has to be a little more difficult, but you do raise a good point that many of the potential big donors are big Corporations many of them in Civic Progress. Time will tell on their commitment to the new arena.

I share your angst on the final two scholies. IMO we need to hit at least a solid triple on one of them...hopefully a 4 of the AB ilk.

>>I am the only one who would like to see Brown play ahead of Drejaj and JJ play ahead of Newborne?<<

Agree with you David. The skill set of Brown has been an eye opener. I expected a tall, athletic guard more suited as a defensive stopper. Danny is that plus ball handling skills, ability to slash and a nice stroke from deep. He just needs time to polish his game. As to JJ, no one else on the team can bring to the table what he has. We desperately need an athletic PF this year and beyond. I don't see the downside to giving JJ 20+ minutes from here on out this year to see if he can apply the talent on both ends of the floor consistently. Nice effort against Charlotte for JJ.

"I share your angst on the final two scholies. IMO we need to hit at least a solid triple on one of them...hopefully a 4 of the AB ilk."

We've been looking for a forward of the AB ilk for the last 15 years. If we can't land him after good seasons, hoping to land him after this season is setting yourself up for disappointment.

We are who were are -- coach after coach after coach the past 15 years has proven they can land quality guards, undersized bigs and big bigs who don't finish strong at the basket. It's how the coach utilizes his guards that will determine if the program gets to the level where they can actually sign jumping jack, offensively potent big men.

David-

As to #5, Jason Lueckmeyer (sp?) at the Tip Off Club meeting on Tuesday night said 1-they need to really get hits on both these scholarships, and need people who can contribute now, 2-are looking for 4 year players, and 3-would like a solid 3 pt shooter and a big man, (I am thinking a 4 rather than a 5 type man since we have BH and IV for two years.)

Brad had two years to get up to speed recruiting-wise with the sudden departure of Romar. This is a key year for him, and he has signed on two high priority local recruits he wanted desperately. Three if you include Polk. These last two this year are HUGE for him.

mhg

We've talked a lot about giving the underclassmen more minutes in hopes of getting more production but in addition to more minutes, their mentality has to change. Even on the rare occasion where they get a hot hand, they continually defer to Reggie, Izik or Drejaj when it actually comes to taking a shots. There's a bunch of swinging the ball back of forth around the perimeter (until the shot clock winds down and we're forced to make a move) when one of those three guys can't get a shot off.

Have you noticed that our underclassmen rarely shoot the ball more than 5 times in a game, even when they play 25+ minutes? The opposing team rarely has to play us honest on defense because they know only three guys are putting up shots on a regular basis.

3star said..."It's how the coach uses his guards"....

The motion offense is made for guards, but the guards have to perform.

Unfortunately, AD is only shooting 25% (14-57) from the 3pt line. Even worse, DP is shooting only 18% (9-49) from the 3pt line, which is unbelieveable!

Your primary guards need to make open 3's!

I agree with all on DB ... except he needs to shoot better ... I can't believe you said he has shown a nice stroke from deep. He has shown a very poor stroke from everywhere on the court. I like DB alot but he needs to shoot better. I know UB has said numerous times that DB can shoot from the perimiter but we haven't seen that he can shoot from anywhere on the floor. Hopefully he will work hard in the offseason and be a better job next year. I feel the same about DP.

I know Brehms said that KL and TL need to earn their spot next year ... I disagree to a point. We do not have a guard who has cemented a starting spot next year with their play. After this year unless someone finishes huge all spots should be open for competition in preseason. If BH improves and outplays IV in the preseason ... he should start ... same for any new guy coming in ... same for any guy already here. That ought to be a plus in recruiting ... everybody has a chance to start

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

david, i think your thoughts about changing styles of play has merit. after you initially made that statement i didnt think much of it, but the last few games, the billikens have noticeably went back to being more deliberate and clock watching. it is a stark difference from the way they played earlier in the schedule imo. it is very possible that in fact we tried to run more before we were ready to go all out. and it very possibly cost us some games.

i hope we dont abandon that quicker pace thinking though. at least next year give it another try.

I am surprised that you are a bit disappointed with Dwayne. Maybe my expectations were lower, but I am pretty impressed that a freshman who is shorter than me is starting and doing as well as he has done. Granted, he has a ways to go, but barring a regression like some in the past, he should end up as one of the better (not the best) Billiken players in the past 15 years.

Maybe I am just being too easy on Brad, but given the margin of loss in many of our games, given how we have played against strong competition lately, given the pure shooting hell we have been through, especially close in, given the fact that statistically, we have often outmatched our opponents, I feel that this team is awfully close to be .500 or better, but the ball just hasn't bounced our way. A few of those early games go our way and who knows what happens to the team's confidence and win-loss record.

I think that given who we have coming back and who we have coming in, there is reason to be optimistic. I'm not expecting a final four appearance next year, but a solid win-loss record is a reasonable expectation. Of course, I think a lot depends on the last two scholarships.

Finally, with respect to the arena, I think things are still a ways off or at least people are being very tight lipped about the status of the fundraising. Granted, the names on the board include five or six people who could write very large checks, but I think they are still waiting to see how many people step up with the smaller checks ($25,000 - $500,000).

I'll bet you $100 that Liddell shoots more than 18% on his first 60 shoots from beyond the 3pt line? Are you up for that bet?

btw, I anticipate DP being playing a significant role on very good Billiken teams over the next three years, but the first 15 games this season have been a struggle for him. DP's 18% from 3 maybe be the worst shooting percentage for any point guard averaging 30 minutes or more in D1 ball. DP will get better. Brad screwed up by not having a veteran point guard to share DP's load.

regardless of the SLU's style of play we have to make shots!

total field goals isn't bad down 38% to 41%.

however, from 3....we are being out shot 36% to 27%. Over 15 games the opposition has made 41 more 3's than the Billikens!

at the freethrow line SLU is being out shot 71% to 65%.

poor shooting has been killing us since day1.

"I'll bet you $100 that Liddell shoots more than 18% on his first 60 shoots from beyond the 3pt line? Are you up for that bet?"

No, because Liddell won't even take 60 three point shots next year. Out of 380 shots his senior year of high school, only 66 were from three. You have to compare apples to apples.

We've got only one kid well-suited to play in Brad's motion offense next year -- Lisch. He's a fearless offensive player with an iron will, so that might be enough to inspire his teammates confidence in their own abilities. I hope so.

I had high expecations for Dwayne's game because I am such a big fan of his.

I have been very pleased and impressed by his ability to limit turnovers, rebound from the point guard position (6 against Charlotte!), block shots against taller players, and steal the ball.

I know he can shoot the ball well, so I have been aghast at his poor shooting. I also know that he has ball moves and athleticism to create baskets (like Marque did), but he has yet to find a way to use that in games. I am most disappointed, however, by his struggles in taking charge of the team and the offense. It is an awful lot to ask of a freshman, but to date he hasn't taken charge from the point when games are tight or we need a good offensive posession down the stretch. I speculate that within two years Dwayne will be so good that we will all be laughing at my current concerns.

Nonetheless, if Dwayne was taking charge on offense like Fish did and shooting the ball from outside as well as Fish did last year, we would probably have another half-dozen or more wins.

3Star,

I don't disagree with what you are saying. However, if my memory isn't playing tricks AB was not a very highly recruited player out of Vashon. He just happened to be a kid who worked his tail off and exceeded almost everyones expectations.

I knew Ed Stewart one of Grawer's Asst's as Ed and I were classmates at Augustinian Academy. I remember telling Ed in AB's Frosh year that I thought he had a chance to play in the NBA. Ed looked at me like I was crazy, and of course the rest is history.

>> I agree with all on DB ... except he needs to shoot better ... I can't believe you said he has shown a nice stroke from deep. He has shown a very poor stroke from everywhere on the court.<<

He's got solid form on his shot ... so far, not great shooting results. That is all I meant by his stroke. Izik has aways looks smooth with his shot as well but never developed into an outside or mid-ranger jump shooter. We'll see how Brown develops.

David, it was ONLY in Marque's senior year, and only after we lost to a couple horrendous teams, that Marque threw the team on his shoulders and carried us for the season. Dwayne is a freshman, yet I saw him shoot us back into two games by scoring on consecutive possessions. He isn't there yet, but in coming campaigns he will be fearless. KL already is fearless, and TL will be an outstanding addition as well. We definitely need a Jamar Smith type shooter that can nail the three and be a dominant mid ranger jump shooter to keep defenses honest.

We desperately need the athletic bull with wheels, and we need JJ to show up from day one next year.