Adjust those calendars

SluSignGuy

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...ly+in+St.+Louis

----

The biggest obstacle to having Spinks fight in his hometown against Zab Judah on Feb. 5 was cleared Friday, with St. Louis University and DePaul agreeing to move their basketball game back one day to free up Savvis Center for the fight. All that's left is for some final negotiations and the contracts to be signed, which could happen on Monday.

Having the fight in St. Louis looked unlikely on Thursday. Petrullo hoped to be able to move SLU's game from 7 p.m. to noon, but Showtime, which is televising the fight, said that wouldn't give them enough time to prepare for their live broadcast. (The Blues are scheduled to play that afternoon, but that game probably will be canceled by the NHL on Wednesday.)

With an earlier start out of the question and moving the game to Friday not feasible because SLU also plays on Wednesday, the only hope for having the fight in St. Louis was to move the SLU game to Feb. 6, Super Bowl Sunday. But that move required complicated discussions with multiple parties, as DePaul would have to change its travel plans and rework its television broadcast schedule.

"I had conversations with the mayor, with SLU, SLU was talking to DePaul, I was on the phone with Kevin and Don King," Petrullo said. Ultimately, Savvis Center agreed to compensate SLU and DePaul for expenses or lost revenues incurred because of the change.

my favorite part of the report, "Savvis Center agreed to compensate SLU and DePaul for expenses or lost revenues incurred because of the change."

i love getting into mr laurie's pocket.

the only way i would go to a boxing match is if someone gave me a ticket, and even then, if there was a better high school basketball game in the area, i would rather go to that.

If the tickets are priced decent and I don't have plans ... I will be there ... I love boxing and miss the boxing of the 70's and 80's. I used to always have a full house for a big fight ... now no one cares. Plus even the mediocre fights are $50. on PPV

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

It will not draw 5000 people. When you watch these fights that are not big name heavy weights in la, vagas, etc they have lots of empty seats. Here in little rock we never sell out for hbo boxing and it has been here 3 times in the last 16 months. They make money off of ppv and subscribers to hbo, showtime.

they're holding the Spinks fight for free ? SLU & Depaul amount to an expense line on the P&L for the fight. With the fight, Savvis has one more scheduled event than they had before. SLU & Depaul are being paid to make them whole for the date change - nothing additional.

and that expense comes out of laurie's pocket. he might pass it on to spinks and the promoters, but ultimately slu's deal is with laurie not spinks. if the fight never happens or is a bust, it will be laurie's loss.

with the way MU closed the Davidson, Houston and Arkansas games. MU will be .500 in 11 days.

I was also impressed with the cold-cock Laurie put on Wright today. Real class. Ranks right up there with the Jacksonville defender today. Maybe he could fight in the undercard for Spinks.

i was greatly impressed that the tigers shot 4,000 second half free throws and indiana shot 2. thank tom o'neill at the next tiger booster meeting for that one. he sure made sure they got back in the game didnt he?

I think you may see a difference here because we have not had a big fight in decades and the fight involves a local fighter who has a big "name" because of his illustrious relatives. I would be shocked if they do not sell out the lower bowl and the first 4 or 5 rows upstairs--a crowd of about 12,000.

I saw that elbow and it was one of the nastiest I have ever seen. If it had been the lead elbow then he has the excuse that it was inadvertant but he missed with the lead elbow and then blind sided him with and elbow to the face. Laurie should have been thrown out of the game--not likely in Laurie Land! It really hurt Indiana because they played very well until he was hurt and then MU made up a 17 point deficit against the worst coached team in the country.

Actually, Cheryl did a fantastic job in negotiating a number of things in return for the game change even though SLU was really interested in helping to give the city and Saavis an important local event. I wonder how much the fact that the game will be on Super Bowl Sunday will affect attendance.