GDT WNIT SLU at UCA

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The popularity of women's college basketball is soaring.  I hope the Billikens can be a big part of it.  There's a lot to like about Coach Tillett besides the awesome A10 tourney run last year.  I think she makes great halftime adjustments.  I also like her overall in-game demeanor.  Recruiting prowess remains an unknown.  This off-season is very important for them.  We need an influx of talent.

1 hour ago, Gremio14 said:

Both Mia and Ashleigh in the portal…which is why you did not see either on the bench last night.  Connor always seemed athletic and skilled  enough to handle whatever pace the  game presented when she entered…always wondered why she did not play more often??

My seats which I didn't use very often are near Mia's family. They weren't very happy with her playing time.

7 minutes ago, willie said:

My seats which I didn't use very often are near Mia's family. They weren't very happy with her playing time.

Yeah, I thought she brought a ton of energy when she came in.   Surprised she wasn't used more in quick bursts.  Our halfcourt defense was pretty bad all year.  She could not have made things much worse.   

25 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Yeah, I thought she brought a ton of energy when she came in.   Surprised she wasn't used more in quick bursts.  Our halfcourt defense was pretty bad all year.  She could not have made things much worse.   

Simon was much more aggressive when she played. Ashleigh should have got more playing time, her contribution for the minutes on the court was equal to anyone.

Gremio14 likes this

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Didn’t see them in yesterday when I looked, but they are there today. Better get busy in the portal to replace that depth, I doubt you’ll find a difference making high school player already not committed this late, but who knows. We need support inside and another PG, Julia Martinez had the most assists this year and she’s gone. Kennedy Calhoun can handle the ball, but has gotten into a lot of foul trouble. 

They entered the portal on Monday. 

2 hours ago, Dr Bird said:

The popularity of women's college basketball is soaring.  I hope the Billikens can be a big part of it.  There's a lot to like about Coach Tillett besides the awesome A10 tourney run last year.  I think she makes great halftime adjustments.  I also like her overall in-game demeanor.  Recruiting prowess remains an unknown.  This off-season is very important for them.  We need an influx of talent.

Exactly. The courtside demeanor is what I liked least about Tillet’s predecessor, and one of the qualities I like most about Tillet.   I could not deal with screamers in any sport I ever played (with the one exception of folk style,) and I think most players feel the same way. 

3 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

Why Camree Clegg got playing time over Ashleigh Connor I never understood. Camree Clegg shot only 32.9% from the floor, the bulk of which (115 of her 164 shot attempts total) were from 3 pt range, where she shot only 27.8%. Those numbers are flat out bad.  On defense, she only got 12 steals, and people shot over her quite a bit. Ashleigh Connor would seem to have more upside on offense (she was 50% from the field, 40% from 3pt range in limited action), and was 9 inches taller when on defense if nothing else.  Mia Nicastro was different, but from what I saw was at least as good as Marcavia Shavers and Tierra Simon.

Dr Bird and OkieBilliken like this

14 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Why Camree Clegg got playing time over Ashleigh Connor I never understood. Camree Clegg shot only 32.9% from the floor, the bulk of which (115 of her 164 shot attempts total) were from 3 pt range, where she shot only 27.8%. Those numbers are flat out bad.  On defense, she only got 12 steals, and people shot over her quite a bit. Ashleigh Connor would seem to have more upside on offense (she was 50% from the field, 40% from 3pt range in limited action), and was 9 inches taller when on defense if nothing else.  Mia Nicastro was different, but from what I saw was at least as good as Marcavia Shavers and Tierra Simon.

We created alot of steals from our backcourt, but our interior defense was really, really bad.   Tillett had her rotation and didn't seem to stray from that.   I am still a huge supporter of her, but it seems like a few players didn't get much of a chance.    

Do you know if Connor and Nicastro were Tillett recruits or were they signed by the previous staff?

23 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

We created alot of steals from our backcourt, but our interior defense was really, really bad.   Tillett had her rotation and didn't seem to stray from that.   I am still a huge supporter of her, but it seems like a few players didn't get much of a chance.    

Do you know if Connor and Nicastro were Tillett recruits or were they signed by the previous staff?

Nicastro was in the last recruiting class of Lisa Stone, not sure about Connor.

8 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Nicastro was in the last recruiting class of Lisa Stone, not sure about Connor.

Ashleigh Connor was the same recruiting class as Mia Nicastro, Lisa Stone’s last class. She redshirted last year, which is why she was a freshman this year.  Peyton Kennedy has said she’ll be back next year, she will be the last Lisa Stone recruit on the team.

It would appear Connor was a Stone recruit. I found a tweet announcing her decision to go to SLU and she thanks Coach Stone, Coach Ty, etc. (I had always assumed she came with Tillett but that's not the case apparently.)

Edit: Beaten to it by Lord Elrond.

Lord Elrond likes this

13 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Ashleigh Connor was the same recruiting class as Mia Nicastro, Lisa Stone’s last class. She redshirted last year, which is why she was a freshman this year.  Peyton Kennedy has said she’ll be back next year, she will be the last Lisa Stone recruit on the team.

Peyton was the most consistent player this season. She has improved every year.

44 minutes ago, Speyburn said:

Peyton was the most consistent player this season. She has improved every year.

I'm glad she's staying. It looks like having a floor general (Brooke Flowers, Julia Martinez) regardless of position, has given us a chance each year. I'd really like to see what a full Tillett roster looks like, we haven't really seen that yet. Our success the last two years really seems to have relied on Stone holdovers being given a chance in a new system.