Nick Sabin & The Age of NIL…

The sad thing is that people in power in college athletics don't realize how terrible this is.  I enjoy watching college football but hate it for the carnage that it has caused.   

I was in Jupiter this past weekend watching the Cardinals.  I went down to Miami to watch a Florida/Miami baseball game.   The University of Florida has billboards plastered all over Dade and Broward County.  The billboards weren't advertising their athletic teams, they were all about raising funds for their new NIL company Florida Victorious.  Sickening really but they have to compete 

20 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

The sad thing is that people in power in college athletics don't realize how terrible this is.  I enjoy watching college football but hate it for the carnage that it has caused.   

I was in Jupiter this past weekend watching the Cardinals.  I went down to Miami to watch a Florida/Miami baseball game.   The University of Florida has billboards plastered all over Dade and Broward County.  The billboards weren't advertising their athletic teams, they were all about raising funds for their new NIL company Florida Victorious.  Sickening really but they have to compete 

This is the state of modern "college" sports... anyone who thinks it's about tradition or student-athletes or competing amateurs is living in the past. This is the era of mercenaries.

Man Nick Sabin must've been coaching for the love of the game......wait he was paid $11.1mil/season?! Now he's going to a network that is paying the SEC $3bil?!

That's right billion.

Plus dude is 72 years old. Let's not act like he's 37 and retired.

So cry me a river about players getting NIL.

8 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Man Nick Sabin must've been coaching for the love of the game......wait he was paid $11.1mil/season?! Now he's going to a network that is paying the SEC $3bil?!

That's right billion.

Plus dude is 72 years old. Let's not act like he's 37 and retired.

So cry me a river about players getting NIL.

😂 Mr. Sabin got his bag.

1 minute ago, Soderball said:

😂 Mr. Sabin got his bag.

Yeah lamentations about NIL aren't really compelling from Jimmy Sexton clients getting private jet privileges.

I’m somewhere in the middle…. These coaches have been getting bags for a while. And some like Sabin, urban Meyer, Bobby knight, et al had absolute, unadulterated , emperor like status and power.  That might be changing for the good.  Also, I’m glad these kids can get compensated for their services now and I think they should.  After all, this is America!

However, what has transpired with the open transfer market and no holds bar NIL has hurt the product on the court/field.  I don’t think the teams are as good as they used to be and it’s not as entertaining to watch.  Combined with this mass hysteria to join mega leagues, I think there will be a tipping point.  Can’t wait for that classic Big 10 matchup of Rutgers and UCLA next year! Talk about cross continent rivalry!!

TRN and MusicCityBilliken like this

9 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I’m somewhere in the middle…. These coaches have been getting bags for a while. And some like Sabin, urban Meyer, Bobby knight, et al had absolute, unadulterated , emperor like status and power.  That might be changing for the good.  Also, I’m glad these kids can get compensated for their services now and I think they should.  After all, this is America!

However, what has transpired with the open transfer market and no holds bar NIL has hurt the product on the court/field.  I don’t think the teams are as good as they used to be and it’s not as entertaining to watch.  Combined with this mass hysteria to join mega leagues, I think there will be a tipping point.  Can’t wait for that classic Big 10 matchup of Rutgers and UCLA next year! Talk about cross continent rivalry!!

Saban and other SEC schools have been giving money to players for years.  NIL evened the playing field against them for other schools to do so legally and compete.  He called out his fans a few years ago saying he needed more money, lol.  

NIL made his job recruiting tougher.  And kids get the autonomy now to say I want XX dollars to him.  The attitude shift sucks for the sports, but I don’t feel sympathy for Saban at all.

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Freedom to make money, but you transfer more than once you sit. Tough ti*ties. 

Or simply sign them to multi-year professional contracts and don’t bother with making them attend school.

8 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Or simply sign them to multi-year professional contracts and don’t bother with making them attend school.

Or simply understand what you're signing up for when deciding to play college basketball. The NCAA has done a LOT of dog sh*t in it's lifetime, but I still don't understand what is wrong with them setting rules. If you don't want to play with the NCAA simply don't. 

SLU Billiken fans were late to embrace NIL- Travis Ford and staff did there normal recruitment. The players have changed- they all want to be honored for points made- that is all that matters when bargaining fir NIL. My wife and I have been watching games together for 60 years and she is a quiet person…halftime of Dayton game she went and read a book. We had tickets and we like Hargrove but the game is not what it was. 

54 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Soon enough they will be employees and will sign a contract.  The schools with big football money will be able to sustain all of the Olympic sports.  The other schools probably will have to cut sports.