New Scholarship Honors George D. Wendel ~ wendelprof's Dad

SluSignGuy

In a SLU Political Science and Billiken Basketball cross-over, I thought I would share that @Wendelprof's father now has an endowed scholarship in his name for Political Science Students.

https://www.slu.edu/give/news/wendel-scholarship.php?fs=e&s=cl

New Scholarship Honors George D. Wendel, Ph.D.

Had the late George D. Wendel, Ph.D., decided to earn his graduate degrees elsewhere, Saint Louis University and its surrounding city could have looked very different today.

Due largely to the political science professor’s passion for Jesuit education, public policy and SLU’s impact on the city, the University has remained in Midtown and continues to serve as one of the most influential entities in the region.

Now, thanks to one of Wendel’s former students, Robert Steck (A&S ‘79), the esteemed professor’s legacy will pave a new path for urban affairs to flourish through an endowed scholarship benefiting political science students at the College of Arts and Sciences.

A black and white portrait of George D. Wendel
George D. Wendel, Ph.D.

The Dr. George D. Wendel Scholarship will be awarded to undergraduate students who are dedicated to political science studies and the advancement of urban service.

“Dr. Wendel was a very important mentor to me in many ways that extended far beyond academics,” Steck said. “He had such a positive influence on so many people over the course of his almost 50-year career at Saint Louis University, and it is truly an honor to play a part in leaving such an incredibly well-deserved legacy in his name.”

Anchoring a City and a Campus

A Chicago native, Wendel earned his master’s and doctoral degrees from SLU in the 1950s. In 1956, he joined SLU’s political science department (now the Department of Public Policy Studies), and in 1968, founded the Center for Urban Programs at the University, serving as its director until 1992. 

It didn't take long for Wendel’s research and expertise to catapult him to become one of the foremost authorities on public policy and urban affairs in the United States. When Wendel spoke, people listened, including SLU’s then-President Paul C. Reinert, S.J., as well as the U.S. Department of Labor, the Brookings Institution, and the Danforth and Ford Foundations. His political acumen also reached television and radio audiences, who tuned in on election nights to listen to the renowned professor’s civics lessons as they unfolded on the air. 

His love for Saint Louis University and the Center for Urban Programs was matched only by his love for his students.” 

— Wendel Family

One of Wendel’s most significant areas of research centered on the city of St. Louis. In the 1960s, residents started the decades-long trajectory of moving to the suburbs, raising concerns of what a declining city population might mean for the region. The trend also swayed SLU’s lay advisers, who urged Reinert to move SLU out of the city. Reinert believed in the promise of urban renewal and was committed to keeping SLU in St. Louis. Wendel’s influence played a significant role in fulfilling Reinert’s vision.

In 1973, Wendel participated in the RAND Corporation's report "St. Louis: A City and Its Suburbs," prepared for the National Science Foundation. Through that report and his own research, Wendel concluded that...

Tapped to participate in the RAND Corporation’s “St. Louis: A City and Its Suburbs” report prepared for the National Science Foundation in 1973 and through his own research, Wendel concluded that “SLU was an anchor for the stability of the city,” according to his wife, Mary, who helped Dr. Wendel with his research. His findings affirmed Reinert’s decision: Keep SLU right where it was in the city and purchase land for a major campus expansion — in St. Louis.

A Love for St. Louis and SLU

As a “man for others” and throughout Wendel’s half-century connection with SLU, he lived a life of higher purpose for the greater good. He loved SLU, and as a years-long season ticket holder, Wendel never missed an opportunity to cheer the athletes or serve as scorekeeper for the men’s basketball team. Wendel passed away in 2000. Nearly 25 years later, his research and commitment to urban affairs and public policy continue to help shape a thriving urban Jesuit university and a prospering Midtown. And because of the new scholarship in his name, Wendel’s legacy will be carried on by students who will benefit from his foresight. 

“His love for Saint Louis University and the Center for Urban Programs was matched only by his love for his students,” Wendel’s family said in a statement. “It is humbling that he is being recognized for something that came so naturally to him: His commitment to his students, the Center for Urban Programs and the City of St. Louis.” 

21 minutes ago, willie said:

Everytime I ran into George and it was fairly frequently all he wanted to do was talk about Billiken Basketball.

dont we all?😄

Soderball likes this

1 hour ago, Wendelprof said:

So kind of you to post this.  The Wendel Family is honored and humbled by the decision and actions undertaken to establish the scholarship.  A fellow SLU alumnus, big Billiken fan, and follower of Billikens.com, Bob Steck, deserves all the credit for this.  Bob provided the seed money to establish the scholarship and has worked tirelessly behind the scenes, with the help of Meg Connolly in the Alumni Development Office, to make this happen.  

Early in his academic career, Dad worked the scorekeeper's table at the Billiken games at Kiel Auditorium.  He'd drag his 4 young sons to the games (to give Mom a break).  We'd run around the halls and ramps of Kiel while he worked the games.  Still have great memories of Joe Wiley, Harry Rogers, Monroe Douglas, Anthony Bonner, and so many other Billiken players from that era.  They will never fully appreciate the joy and excitement they brought to my life, and so many other kids my age.  I still remember some of the last games at Kiel.  When the fans would get going, and start stomping their feet, that place would rock.  Great memories.  I'm not sure exactly when Dad stopped working the scorer's table and had to buy tickets to get into the games, but he held season tickets every year after that.  As Willie mentioned, besides the City of St. Louis, one of his loves in life was Biiliken basketball.  He passed that on to his kids.  Next week I'm helping my daughter, her husband, and their three boys move from Chicago to St. Louis.  We hope to pass on that love of Billiken basketball to another Wendel generation.  

The Wendel Family hopes that the scholarship helps a SLU student who is committed to helping the City of St. Louis be the best that it can be.  If you give to SLU, we hope you'll consider giving to the scholarship fund.

Go Bills!

I wonder if your dad ever knew my dad. He started working the stat crew in '85 and has scarcely missed a game in nearly 40 years. He's been doing the TV side of stats since at least '96, but I'm not sure how that would translate to any interaction. Congratulations to you and your family!