A10 Season Awards, Who Gets Them?

This is going to be an interesting selection for end of season awards.  Likely the only slam dunk is Holmes for Rookie of the Year, or whatever they call it.

Coach of the Year, likely will be McKillop.  But the two coaches who guided their team to significantly higher finishes than where they were placed in the A10 Preseason Poll are Neptune for Fordham and Christian for GW.  Fordham was 14th in the preseason poll and ended up 8, 6 slots higher than predicted.  GW was  picked for 13th and ended up 7th another jump of 6 slots.  Of course Davidson was picked 6th and ended up 1st, so McKillop has the edge.

Player of the Year is really up for grabs.  Historically, the POY comes from a top 4 finishing team.  But not always.  If you look at the top 4, Davidson has three candidates, Loyer, Brajkovich, and Lee. I don't know, Loyer probably will get more votes than his other two teammates.  VCU has Williams as probably their top candidate, and Baldwin was the player who resurrected their season.  Dayton doesn't have a standout, and Holmes is likely the FOY, so I am passing on the Flyers.  St. Bonnie has Osunniyi who will likely get Defensive Player of the Year, and Adaway leading their team in scoring.  Who is your guy for POY?

Okay, so if they go beyond the top five, look at the Bills.  Who would be our top candidate, Collins or Jimerson?  I don't know.  If you go 5 deep, you have to look at Richmond in 6th with Gilyard and Burton.  The conversation gets fun.

AND, maybe the best player in the league, certainly for some, is Oduro who ended up 1st in scoring and 8th in rebounding.  But a 9th place George Mason finish pretty much takes him out of the conversation for POY.

Finally, who is on the 1st team All Conference.  There are 13 players listed above, so pick your 5 (or is it 6?)

-for me COY is Neptune, to do that at Fordham and without who was their best player, or at least a top 2 player as Ohams is really good, for a long stretch and miss the PIG is amazing, I hope he can keep who he has and add good players - but I agree McKillop will get it

-I would vote Oduro as POY

-I think it is top 6 and see Loyer, OO and Oduro as 3, the rest will fill in, I hope Yuri or GibJim make it but can see them being voted to second team

HoosierPal likes this

3 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-for me COY is Neptune, to do that at Fordham and without who was their best player, or at least a top 2 player as Ohams is really good, for a long stretch and miss the PIG is amazing, I hope he can keep who he has and add good players - but I agree McKillop will get it

-I would vote Oduro as POY

-I think it is top 6 and see Loyer, OO and Oduro as 3, the rest will fill in, I hope Yuri or GibJim make it but can see them being voted to second team

I would love to see Neptune win it too.  His best player quit 14 games into the season and then his next best player was out for 5 games.  Unfortunately both Ohams,  Quisenberry and Colon-Navarro were Gr's this season so he will have to start over again.

Interesting, you and @wgstl both in the Oduro camp.  It would likely be a new 'low' for team placement having a POY.  But heck, if he deserves it, he should get it.  We will know tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, NH said:

Oduro only played 13 conference games and his team came in 9th. I can’t buy him as player of the year when other players had a much more significant impact 

I’ll be honest, I don’t think they look into things too much even deciding these. I don’t think oduro is best. 

Sixth man is the hardest individual award to vote on. You really have to know how every team uses the roster. Hard to remember when there are teams I didn't see much this season.

The overall teams were a lot harder than usual this year, too. I had about 20 guys I really liked but not as many I loved.