NCAA may change rules to allow transfers immediate eligibility

5 hours ago, kshoe said:

The worst thing is if the NCAA does this in the name of academic integrity. Never mind that classes don't transfer, continuity of degrees, etc. there is no way you can convince me kids will be more likely to graduate if they do 4 schools in 4 years.

I think I heard that you could only transfer once and not sit out but if you transferred a second time or more you would have to sit out for each one until your eligibility was exhausted.

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Well, then take out rankings as part of the consideration.  It really is about what benefits the students most.  The ability to transfer without restrictions could lead to more opportunities for student athletes and there education.  Maybe Mike Crawford has an MBA from Northwestern and not SLU.  That, arguably, is in his best interests.

NW would never have wanted Crawford - not an upgrade.

2 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

None of those are revenue sports.  Wrestling might be a more cutthroat recruiting situation than I'm aware of but I doubt it.   

Does revenue generated for the school somehow all of sudden make kids want to transfer?  Most top athletes are cutthroat regardless of sport.  That is part of the reason they reach the levels they do.  The desire to be considered at the top of the game and part of a winning team doesn't change for an athlete just because the school is making money off the sport.

11 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

This would be great.  Honestly, it is reprehensible the way they force these kids to stay at one school.  If it was an academic scholarship, the student wouldn't have to sit out a year.  Anyone in a good situation would stay, anyone in a bad situation would leave.  Whether it is good for the schools, it is in the best interests of the players (Cutting players commonly happens anyway).

Certainly good schools would benefit, but it would probably work both ways.  Talented guys who are second options at, for example Wisconsin, would transfer down.  In theory, the best schools would only recruit the top players out of high school, and try to fill their roster with transfers, probably from the power five. It would trickle down. But, that would leave more talent for development at mid-majors.  If those players are in good situations, they wouldn't transfer.  In either case, we are fine.

When I look at our roster, this would not affect the decisions any of the current players or commits, except that we would have had 4 starting transfers last year.

Totally agree. It would go both ways. The best teams already get the vast majority of four and five star players, and they can only play seven or eight guys at a time. Making it easier/quicker for the Javon Besses of the world to transfer "down" would have just as big an impact as making it easier/quicker to transfer up.

My first inclination is that this would be bad for the sport and only continue to create the disparity between BCS and mid major schools.

I think I agree though.  It would work both ways.  It also might create less transfers.  High major coaches recruit a large number of talented players knowing they may stay rather than take a penalty year for more playing time.  You might see coaches back off on loading up rosters because they could suddenly be left without a group of players who can bolt with no penalties.

ive been thinking about this subject since it first surfaced a few days back.   this will divide the talent in D1 even more imo.   the big boys border disgrunted players will leave more readily and the rising players from the lesser programs will leave to go to the big boys.   this is horrible rule.   bet it happens.  

• Quality Is Job 1 changed the title to NCAA may change rules to allow transfers immediate eligibility