Ford Press Conference Thread

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank C. with the third question, about how involved he wants former Billiken greats in the program.

"I reached out to Larry Hughes last night...talked to Erwin Clagget...called Coach Grawer."

"Tradition is important...this is their program, I'm here to lead it. I want Larry at every practice he can make...I'm reaching out to alumni. I want them involved...I'm reaching out to as many players as I can get. We want everybody involved."

Said he's already made recruiting phone calls. Loves the feeling of getting started. Seems genuinely very excited.

Second question is about recruiting:

"If you're one of the top players in St. Louis, Kansas City, Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, then this is the place you want to be." Wants to keep the best players in the region home, but also says we have everything in place to recruit nationally.

"That's gonna start immediately."

Thanks for the updates, Pistol...greatly appreciated

God kick that person out that asked about the Cardinals.

This was the fourth question, seemed inevitable. I love the Cards, but Cards fans can be so irritating.

Anyway, he's a Cards fan. Calm down, St. Louis. "I'm learning to be a Blues fan."

"But we want this to be the hot ticket in town."

Met with the team last night, talked about the style of play. Play uptempo. Compete. Enjoy.

Told them about developing individual players. Not another coach in america that focuses on individual as much as Ford.

Hasn't said anything about giving Jolly the boot.

Fifth question: Thoughts about game tape, returning roster, etc.

"Met with the team last night, talked about what I believe in in terms of style of play. There's going to be a difference there...uptempo, running...I want my players to have fun."

"I really believe in developing the individual player."

But he isn't being specific about what he thinks or what his plans are for these particular guys. Probably a wise move.

"It's a fresh start for me and these guys. I can't wait to start with them."

Thinks fans will like his style of play.

Said he was impressed by how many players reached out to him via text after meeting him last night. Met with a couple individually already, will meet more soon.

"There is work to be done. I know where we finished last year. We're not going to finish there again."

Ford is the best salesman to have the head coaching job at SLU. This conference is making that clear. I can tell why he blew them away in his interviews.

Absolutely. He has the politician-refined Spoon aw-schucks thing down. Could easily run for office.

Sixth Q: Can you still dunk?

"Don't know if I ever could."

Same guy: Rivalries in the A10.

"The Atlantic 10 has changed. Teams have gone, teams have joined."

Talking about the good teams in the league, mentioned Dayton and VCU and GW and St. Joe's by name. Likes A10 tradition.

Wants to catch VCU and Dayton, but "go one step further" and mold the program to be more like Villanova or Xavier. Consistency is key. Recruiting, style, fan support. Wants to make the culture enviable for others.

I missed the next question specifically, but I think it was about the timetable to turn it around.

Speaking vaguely now, but "That said, I'm a pretty impatient person. I like results."

Not patient in recruiting or desire to win.

"There's not a timetable on it. I understand where we're at and what needs to be done. But every program is different."