Is this the worst coached team ever?

davidnark

I think an argument can be made that this is the worst coached team in St. Louis sports history. It may be worse than the Spagnuola Rams teams.

The record speaks for itself, with multiple double-digit losses at homes to really bad teams. What is more telling, however, is the absolute incompetent chaos that ensues every game. Ever-changing lineups and player roles, no consistent point guard, zero post play, terrible rebounding, lackluster defense, and some of the worst offensive movement in college basketball. The team is poor at shooting, defending, passing, and rebounding. Over the years, I have seen "buy" games against equally poorly coached teams, but they usually have a few high-flyers who at least have some fan-friendly street ball plays. This team is really bad and awful to watch.

This will be a true test for the new SLU administration. If college basketball is a priority, they will dismiss Crews and run a serious candidate search to re-energize the fanbase. If they don't, then Chaifetz will soon become known as a nice concert venue and the home of Disney on Ice (without real ice).

It is hard to disagree with anything said here. I don't post much on this board but read it frequently and watch every game on TV (attend a few a year). This is the most frustrating year so far in the 25+ years I have watched SLU (and I was in the 4th row sitting by Taj at the infamous 20 point game at GW). I thought it got off to a pretty good start and thought they might be improving upon last year's disappointment. However since the 2nd half of the Lousville game it has been embarrassing.

I thought Crews did a fine job taking over for Majerus but he even admitted he had to do little coaching since the kids ran Majerus' system. But looking back on it, with the losses to Oregon and Lousville, he really held us back then as well. If we had Majerus those years we could have made a serious run at the Elite 8 or at least Sweet 16.

The worst part particularly in recent games is how flat we come out in the 2nd half. One thing that spoiled us about Majerus was even when we got off to slow starts, Majerus was the best at making the necessary adjustments at halftime to turn the game around. Crews is the complete opposite and gets outcoached every game. The last two games were the worst with the 22-2 run by Indiana State and than the run by SIU last night. Even in our bad games I watch every second of the games but I have been more than happy to fast forward through the last two 2nd halfs. So between not deciding on his main starting guys and just getting outcoached in every aspect, I don't know how he still has a job.

Crews should have been fired yesterday and I wrote Chris May saying exactly that and I encourage others to do the same. The last thing we want after being brought up by Majerus to a solid program is to go down the tubes to worse than we were previously and that is exactly what is happening which is very sad and action needs to be taken now to get rid of Crews and try to turn things around when we can. Another year or two of this and it will be much harder.

Lastly about Crews, I live in Indianapolis and know somebody at work who has friends who go to the church Crews did a couple years ago and he was told Crews seemed very happy in retirement until which time as Majerus recruited him out of retirement. So in addition to him just not being a good coach, I really wonder how much his heart is in it.

Merry Christmas to everybody out there in Billiken land.

It reminds me of the St. Louis Browns of the mid '30s. Terrible roster construction and a manager with no plan on how to harness what little talent he had.

That is the exact analogy I had too. The 2015-16 basketball Billikens and the 1930 St. Louis Browns baseball team. Amazing!

I recall the Ekker years (late 70s-early 80s).

SLU was in the Metro and competition was incredibly tough. (Louisville, Cincy, Memphis, Georgia Tech, etc...) We were just out classed.

Ekker I thought had better talent then this year's and last year's team. He had David Burns who might have been the fastest guard we ever had.

What made Ekker so incredibly bad was not only we were terrible on the court but all the off-court drama. SLU came very close on tossing-in the towel on D1 basketball.

Okay, since you all are so amused--the Browns' pitching staff was so godawful under Hornsby, they offered contracts to guys originally hired as equipment managers. They also collected several major league veterans who had had decent seasons as relievers/Sunday starters to install them in the regular rotation. And because slow-footed 1B types who could hit were easy to come by in that era, they decided it would be a good idea to shoehorn a bunch of them into the outfield. Because who needs outfield defense when you're literally playing behind batting practice pitching?

Now try to tell me that doesn't deserve the glory of being compared to Steve Spagnuolo and Jim Crews.