GDT: George Mason

JettFlight5

Quotes.....hmmm

Obviously, judging by the GM fan quotes they don't read my forecast thread or it woouldn't be such a surprise to them. These are fans with a C rated team that just beat a D team at home. They should neither be talking smack nor smirking as they may find themselves in for another surprise on Feb 28 when they learn what it is like to be Fetzed.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of their quotes were fairly accurate. I wouldn't include MC as inconsistent, despite his jerked around PT.

For Crawford it all cames down to the number of shots he gets. If he takes 6 or more he is always going to end up in double digits in points scored.

Majerus said something like you need to judge your offense by how many shots your best shooters get. If you look in the box score and they aren't consistently getting the most shots then you are doing something wrong.

Only twice has Crawford been in the top two in fg's attempted and only seven times has he been in the top 3.

McBroom and Bartley are well ahead of Crawford in 3P%. Gillmann and Roby aren't far behind him. Gillmann, Yarbrough and Lancona (?!) are ahead of him in 2P%.

The idea that Crawford is one of our two or three best shooters is highly questionable, and the idea that he needs to be a bigger part of our offense is starting to get really overblown.

McBroom and Bartley are well ahead of Crawford in 3P%. Gillmann and Roby aren't far behind him. Gillmann, Yarbrough and Lancona (?!) are ahead of him in 2P%.

The idea that Crawford is one of our two or three best shooters is highly questionable, and the idea that he needs to be a bigger part of our offense is starting to get really overblown.

He's one of our best shooters. I'm not saying he's good but he's one of our best.

Who else would you suggest become a bigger part of the offense?

Clearly what we've been doing all season hasn't worked. We rank 273rd in offensive efficiency. Maybe getting him more involved will help. I know you don't believe any rating system that ranks us poorly though.

Here's the list of offensive rating per player on our team per kenpom

1. McBroom

2. Crawford

3. Yarbrough

Here's the list of true shooting percentage per player on our team per kenpom

1. Crawford

2. Gillmann

3. McBroom

Here's the list of effective field goal percentage per player on our team per kenpom

1. Gillmann

2. Crawford

3. Bartley

Crawford also has shot the 4th most free throws on the team.

He's not a go-to guy, but we do better when he's more involved. More Crawford. Less Yacoubou.

To be fair though, Crawford is shooting 53% from inside the arc. That is still pretty good.

People here are complaining he isn't 2nd or 3rd in FGA most games. Well, he's 4th on the team in FGA for the whole season. You can make a case that he should be shooting a little more and Yacoubou should be shooting a little less based on the results this year, but that is a fairly small tweak. It's not a sign of the type of big problem with your offense that Majerus was alluding to in the quote above. Everyone hoped Yacoubou could be the go-to guy this year. That's why he's gotten so many minutes and so many touches this year.

People here are complaining he isn't 2nd or 3rd in FGA most games. Well, he's 4th on the team in FGA for the whole season. You can make a case that he should be shooting a little more and Yacoubou should be shooting a little less based on the results this year, but that is a fairly small tweak. It's not a sign of the type of big problem with your offense that Majerus was alluding to in the quote above. Everyone hoped Yacoubou could be the go-to guy this year. That's why he's gotten so many minutes and so many touches this year.

He's getting touches because we hoped he can be good? Don't we hope everyone will be good?

With better offensive rhythm comes better shots. Since our offense is absolutely awful we are forced into taking a ton of bad shots. Why is our offense $hitty? That's open to discussion, but it certainly doesn't help that we don't have a legit PG on the floor. I think it has less to do with who's taking these forced shots (Yacoubou, Yarbrough, and McBroom are the most likely culprits) and more to do with the fact that we can't get decent ones.

majerus mojo, on 30 Jan 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:

I'm not sure I understand your point.. Our offense sucks? He has looked like a player, and more importantly, a shooter. He should consistently be getting 20 mpg, and more shots should be created for him. I think I'm agreeing with you here.

I agree too. More Crawford and LESS Yacoubou. If Crawford was given the amount of minutes Barnett was given last season I believe he would be a lot more productive than Barnett was. What is the point of driving to the basket and missing as many baskets as he does? If he's afraid his shot will be blocked, then pull up and shoot a jumper.

Saying Crawford is 4th in attempts is just a little misleading. It makes it sound like he is close to being one of the top 3 options when he is not. He is 54 attempts out of third. He is closer to ranking 11th in field goal attempts than 3rd.

Saying Crawford is 4th in attempts is just a little misleading. It makes it sound like he is close to being one of the top 3 options when he is not. He is 54 attempts out of third. He is closer to ranking 11th in field goal attempts than 3rd.

So are you arguing that Crawford should not just see a few more shots per game at the expense of Yacoubou, but rather that he should actually get MORE playing time and shots than Yacoubou? If so, I'll change my opinion that you're exaggerating the point and just simply say I think your point is wrong.

So are you arguing that Crawford should not just see a few more shots per game at the expense of Yacoubou, but rather that he should actually get MORE playing time and shots than Yacoubou? If so, I'll change my opinion that you're exaggerating the point and just simply say I think your point is wrong.

ash needs to shoot less. He isn't a good shooter right now from anywhere. Bad from 2, bad from 3 and bad from the line.

Interesting table: Crawford with very little touches in the attacking zone per game compared to the rest of the team

Here's the link. Some good stuff here unless you don't like guys like Crawford or Gillmann.

http://nationalsportsrankings.com/index.php?option=com_teamplayer

Capture1_zpsf1278dda.jpg

the information at the bottom of SLU's report on that site is astounding. who needs to do their own scouting anymore?

http://nationalsportsrankings.com/index.php?option=com_teamplayer

Points per shot from the main rotation:

Yarbrough - 1.32

Yacoubou - 1.14

McBroom - 1.23

Crawford - 1.44

Roby - 1.14

Bartley - 1.23

Gillmann - 1.24

Jolly - 1.36

Manning - 1.16

mcbroom, crawford, bartley and roby are shooting a combined 77 of 191 from 3, or 40%. that's fantastic. i want them taking those shots more, and ash and milik taking them less. ash is 12 for 42, and milik is a woeful 3 for 17. 25% combined. yarbrough can keep taking it to the hole, but yes, yacoubou should decrease his shots all around.

also, those other four are shooting 69% from FT, while yarbrough and yacoubou are shooting 58%. that hurts.

impressed that roby is shooting such a good percentage from deep while playing such tough defense.

in summation, yarbrough needs to keep doing what he's doing, and practice his free throws. yacoubou needs to focus on his defense and taking what comes to him offensively. the other four need to be ready to let it rip from deep on kickouts, all day.

mcbroom, crawford, bartley and roby are shooting a combined 77 of 191 from 3, or 40%. that's fantastic. i want them taking those shots more, and ash and milik taking them less. ash is 12 for 42, and milik is a woeful 3 for 17. 25% combined. yarbrough can keep taking it to the hole, but yes, yacoubou should decrease his shots all around.

That is mainly thanks to McBroom shooting at such a high percentage in so many attempts. Even after seeing his PT dip, he still has almost a quarter of the team's total attempts. And I think we've seen that it would be tough to get him too many more shots than he's already been getting. Since conference play started he has not been getting left open much.

Bartley's been shooting over 40% too. Roby, Crawford, and Gillmann have been merely decent, but why not let them take more attempts given how pathetic the offense has been, I guess.

Yacoubou has attempted so few three pointers I don't think it's worth getting too shook up over how bad he's been at them. I wouldn't mind him throwing them up at a Dwayne Evans-like frequency. Yacoubou's just not been nearly as good from 3 as everyone hoped, which has really hurt. People were drooling at the 40% he shot as a sophomore at Nova and calling him a sniper, but that looks like a mirage. I would certainly be okay dialing him in from three point range, at least until he proves he can hit a few.